Strange rendering issue - no idea what to try next

Donal Randt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My wife and I have been having a very annoying rendering issue for some time now.  This has been going on through several different viewers, so I know it isn't related to the version we have.  The problem is pants.  When we wear pants on the Pants Layer, they look normal to us.  But our own pants are the only ones that work for us.  Anybody we look at, including each other, appears to be wearing their pants on the Underpants Layer - skin tight all the way down.

I am asking in a viewer forum because the only thing this could be, to me, is a viewer setting.  I have changed viewer versions, I have done full clean uninstalls and reinstalls.  I have even changed out video cards.  So I can say it isn't an NVIDIA or ATI issue, it happens exactly the same on both.  We have tried every setting we could find that seemed like it might help in Graphics and also in Debug Settings.

I'm out of ideas.  Anybody got a suggestion of something else to try?

OK, so looking some more, I think I finally hit on the right search phrase, or looked while under the right phase of the moon, and it seems that the LL viewers are not the only ones with the problem, and it has at least been assigned.

If you're a clothing creator or wearer of pants (I think that pretty much means everybody) you may want to have a look at this JIRA issue  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/ECC-49  Maybe a good one to go vote on - since it efects everyone in one way or another.

Even if you don't see the pants messed up on your viewer, know that there are a lot of people out there that are seeing you looking a lot different than you intended.  If you wear pants that have a low rolled cuff, people see you in tights with a donut around your ankle.  Not cool.

In the meantime, I will have to restrict my buying to pants with full prim lower legs - or wear a kilt.

Thanks for the suggestion.  But there is absolutely no way I am going to use old obsolete software to get around this.   And a TPV isn't an option either, after the last fiasco.  I think I would rather stick to prim pants legs till they get this fixed.  There are some graphical issues that I need fixed far more badly than I need this fixed - and 1.x never has and never will fix those.  The current technology though, does fix them.

Actually, I didn't see where any "solutions" were mentioned.  A "solution" would be a fix that could be applied to the current viewer to correct the errant bahavior.  And that's what I was looking for.  Throwing the software away in favor of old outdated software, or throwing the software away in favor of something from an unverifiable source is simply not an option.

I am not looking for a way or a reason to bash or abolish the official viewer.  I am looking for a way to fix it.

Donal Randt wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  But there is absolutely no way I am going to use old obsolete software to get around this.   And a TPV isn't an option either, after the last fiasco.  I think I would rather stick to prim pants legs till they get this fixed.  There are some graphical issues that I need fixed far more badly than I need this fixed - and 1.x never has and never will fix those.  The current technology though, does fix them.

This is a polite and well-reasoned reply to the replies you got, and I fully share your point of view. Thanks.

I'm adding https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/ECC-49 to the list of issues I'm helping to test, reproduce and document. Hopefully we can help to push up into the bugs queue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.