Signing out of second life

Fennet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It would be fun or scary to think that, once you logoff, your avatar stays wherever you left her/him.  If that were the case, we would see a bunch of avatars just...hanging around.  But, we don't.  So, that fact should have answered your question.  :smileyhappy:

Venus Petrov wrote:

It would be fun or scary to think that, once you logoff, your avatar stays wherever you left her/him.  If that were the case, we would see a bunch of avatars just...hanging around.  But, we don't.  So, that fact should have answered your question.  :smileyhappy:

Actually, when I was a newbie...I thought they stayed! It was in that time when you had all those places with lots of campingchairs, and most of the time ppl sat there with their heads hanging down. My first weeks I thought those were abandoned avatars....Heh.

(reason I used to logoff in some empty/private-like place..hahahha)

... And over here kids, pay close attention now ... we have the 'Hall of Abandoned Avatars'. These are Avatars that some poor forgetful souls left standing around when they logged out and then they just never came back. It's a heart-breaking job sometimes, collecting all the lost abandoned Avatars. But fortunately for us, we have a dedicated crew of collectors that tirelessly plod the Grid, looking for those telltale vacant eyes, the limp backs and heads pointed toward the ground .. and the characteristic moss growing under their armpits.

That's right kids .. be brave .. look right at them .. and remember this .. "There but for the grace of broadband, go I."

How about when you go idle on SL? It's similar...hehe. When I idle on SL I sit at home in a chair or sleep on my bed...hehe. One day when my friend and I was cuddling he logged off for the night, and I left SL running. He said it was nice when he logged back in the next day to see me still "asleep" on the bed :)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

... And over here kids, pay close attention now ... we have the 'Hall of Abandoned Avatars'. These are Avatars that some poor forgetful souls left standing around when they logged out and then they just never came back. It's a heart-breaking job sometimes, collecting all the lost abandoned Avatars. But fortunately for us, we have a dedicated crew of collectors that tirelessly plod the Grid, looking for those telltale vacant eyes, the limp backs and heads pointed toward the ground .. and the characteristic moss growing under their armpits.

That's right kids .. be brave .. look right at them .. and remember this .. "There but for the grace of broadband, go I."

Uh oh..

Away.jpg

Occasionally the signing-out process goes wrong and your avatar DOES stay in-world after you've logged off. Trouble is then it won't let you log back in because it thinks you're already there. It's called ghosting.

Venus Petrov wrote:

omg.. reading this made that scene from the movie *I am Legend* pop into my head where he discovers the *hive* where they are all standing in a close group breathing/panting... .. creepy.

I do like the idea of putting my avi in bed and logging out and  to log back in and find her still there.. maybe one day ;)

Wicked Galaxy wrote:

omg.. reading this made that scene from the movie *I am Legend* pop into my head where he discovers the *hive* where they are all standing in a close group breathing/panting... .. creepy.

I do like the idea of putting my avi in bed and logging out and  to log back in and find her still there.. maybe one day
;)

She IS still there .. just a bit gassy sometimes.

DG (Fatty food before bedtime is never a good idea)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Wicked Galaxy wrote:

I do like the idea of putting my avi in bed and logging out and  to log back in and find her still there.. maybe one day
;)

She IS still there .. just a bit gassy sometimes.

DG (Fatty food before bedtime is never a good idea)

OMG stop jumping to my bedroom while I'm sleeping!!

/me makes note to turn back on the security orb next time I log in .. grrrrr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.