Land Owning Etiquette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Personal attacks? lol You're pretty funny. Yes I heavily criticize your deplorable actions but nothing has been personal against you. Now you're just trying to paint me as a bad person so you can feel better.

You admit earlier in this very thread that you know you paid too much for that land. Then you knowlingly jacked up the price even more to sell it to someone who you knew you had in a vulnerable spot. You knowingly took advantage of someone for your own gain. You can rationalize it however you want that helps appease your conscience but you know that's true.

But yes, it seems that further discussion is likely to be unproductive. We all the know the score.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update for the general thread: Since I have the 1024 tier allowance anyway for the next year, I believe what I will do next is make a home in the sky. A lot of really good points were made here. Although I really like the idea of renting private, you are right, I have no idea when the owner could leave us high and dry. On top of that, I would be missing the point of two premium accounts -- the tier allowance and instead spending a premium price in rent. I will make sure to take your advice into account and keep the sky home out of view of neighboring skyhomes. 

Ilithios Liebknecht wrote:

You paid way too much for the land and then when you realized it, you decided to blackmail someone else into taking the hit and even profit from it. That's about as big of a scam as scams get.

I didn't think it was all that bad before I realized how much you took him for, but that's pretty bad.

You really have some serious issues. You're out of step with everyone else, both in this thread and in the other one. That should tell you something. It would tell everyone else something if they found themselves so out of step. But you soldier on regardless, digging an ever deeper hole for yourself.

I was about to suggest that you ignore him. Let him have the last word if he wants - if it floats his boat. As long as you keep replying to him, he'll keep pounding. He has to because he's painted himself into a corner, and he isn't big enough to back down. But, you already said you were leaving it, so well done! :)

If you had bought the land in order to crap it up and price gouge a neighbor,,that would be extortion, but this is not.

Peridically someone goes on a tirade saying I am greedy for pricing my things what I consider a fair price rather than what they consider a fair price. No one forces them to buy, just as no one forced your neighbor to buy. Just because the price wasn't worth it to someone else doesn't mean it's not worth it to him.

Nalytha wrote:

As an update for the general thread: Since I have the 1024 tier allowance anyway for the next year, I believe what I will do next is make a home in the sky. A lot of really good points were made here. Although I really like the idea of renting private, you are right, I have no idea when the owner could leave us high and dry. On top of that, I would be missing the point of two premium accounts -- the tier allowance and instead spending a premium price in rent. I will make sure to take your advice into account and keep the sky home out of view of neighboring skyhomes. 

This is good.

Meanwhile, It's possible you'll find the ideal bit of Mainland for you. If you have time, watch the auctions and explore a bit (or, better, a lot) and see what's available and how folks use their parcels, both successfully and not so successfully -- according to your own standards of success.

And, meanwhile, private estate tier will fall. As much as the estate owners are telling each other that they'll stick with their current prices, those with a lick o' sense are secretly preparing their response to being undercut by new entrants with freshly grandfathered-rate bought-down sims.

Also, pricing: Don't fret about paying too much for the land you sold for more. For one thing, Mainland water parcels fetch quite a premium. (I don't personally like them, but that's irrelevant.) And if both you and your buyer spent a little more than usual even for water (and I'm not sure you did), really, it's not so much more as to suggest extortion. There's a whole history of land extortion in SL -- see "adfarms" -- and this isn't even close, for a host of reasons.

Finally, the "foresty/zen type area with water view" you wanted, pages ago: that's gonna be surprisingly hard to find, both Mainland and Estates. I get the appeal, and it exists in both, but there are both market and technical reasons that it's relatively rare. Market: Folks seem to want palm trees on a sandy beach, so both estates and mainland continent designers created a heck of a lot of it, wherever water meets land. Technical: Setting terrain texture elevations is imprecise and probablistic, and underwater grass looks much sillier than exposed sand.

Thank you for your response. I hadn't even thought of auctions. 

This is the closest I've found to what I want. It's actually exactly what I want, but the smallest lot is still a bit too big for me. 

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Region-for-Rent-Full-Private/WILLOWDALE-ESTATE-Where-Luxury-Means-Something/m-p/3037601/highlight/true#M14996

wherorangi wrote:

it was more that particular for sale sign that made me go oh! lol. Is some long history with that sign which you are unaware of and is no reason for you to be aware of

wherorangi, I just wanted to let you know that I stumbled onto the history of this sign, and WOW. Actually, this is something I think should have been pointed out to me, and if it was, I am really sorry that I missed it. I found myself in a rabithole last night before bed, reading forums and seeing pictures that were years old. It gave me a very clear idea of exactly what you are talking about with this particular sign, and honestly, now I regret using it. Or at the very least, I wish I had resized it much smaller and turned the rotating script off, which I now know is something that can be done and something that must be done in order to meet TOS requirements and in fact not following these rules can result in me being reported.  

This also gave me some more context about the person who proclaimed I was extorting my neighbor. After reading about what users went through for YEARS in SL in regards to this sign, I can better understand his/her point of view. One difference, and I'm not sure it matters to some, is that those people did that with ill intent. They fully meant to take advantage of people and from what I understood basically blackmailed them with obscene prices. I still proclaim that I did not in anyway mean to blackmail my neighbor. I still contend that without knowing the history of the sign, I meant to use it as a form of communicating that the land was up for sale and give him a chance to purchase it before someone else does, as it appeared to me that he missed his chance to do so when I bought it (there was no such sign up and in fact nothing there but water so no way to let him know it was up for sale). As far as the price increase, I honestly believe the parcel was worth more to him than me, because it would complete his little setup. For me, it was one small parcel wedged between others. For him, he now controls that entire corner with the added benefits of protected land, sunrise view, etc. 

In any event, SL has a huge rich history and it has been very enlightening to learn about it. 

Don't be concerned about the sign. It was irrelevant. Back when there were forests of them, it did matter, but, if you don't put a sign up to say the land is for sale, nobody will look. Well, they might if they have the 'for sale' colours on but that's unlikely. You needed a sign, and that sign on its own was fine. Except maybe for one thing. If rotating signs are not allowed, ok, but I didn't see it rotating.

The rules that came out of that history said that a sign must be on the ground, or on a building that's on the ground, no more than 10m in any direction, not glowing, and such. That sign fit the rules for size, and I assume you rezzed it on the ground, and that you didn't set it to glow. So your sign was fine, and there is nothing wrong with that particular sign - unless it rotates and rotating is against the rules, but I'm not sure about that.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh because I have seen so many land scammers and it is infuriating. While I can't 100% condone the actions because I do still believe that you knew you may be selling your land at an inflated rate to someone who doesn't really want it but rather just wants the ugly for sale sign gone (come on, at least a little in the back of your mind you knew that was possibly the case), I do not believe that you are a con artist.

I believe that even though your actions appeared superficially similar to those often undertaken by land scammers that this was not at all your intent and was due to ignorance rather than malice. I'm confident it's not going to be a continued pattern of bahavior on your part or anything so it's all water under the bridge now.

And hey, maybe he really was fine with paying that incredibly high price for that land and the whole thing isn't even an issue at all. He could certainly have contacted you if he had a problem with your actions which I am guessing he didn't do, so at least that part is on him.

is all good Nalytha. Like I said I derailed all this by what I said. You werent to know. So sorry about what I said

about the sign you werent to know about the restrictions. Cant be more than 8m high, must be anchored on the ground, cant be fullbright, cant rotate, cant throw particles beyond the parcel boundaries or higher than 8m, cant be textured in a way that has nothing to do with informing that the parcel is for sale, cant be lots of things, yada yada. Sure all this info is buried way down in the Community Guidelines somewheres, but is not like you are a real estate agent or anything

Phil is right. You are allowed to sell for a profit. 3K on 10K is pretty reasonable. Is nothing wrong with this. Is ok for you to have a for sale sign. And most likely if he could Phil would reach thru his screen and try smack me with his slippers, if he could, for saying what I said. Either that or stuff my face with a glass of milk (:

also as well the neighbour was most likely trying to outwait the real estate agent you bought from. Some real estate agencys do reverse auctions. Lowering the price periodically until the parcel sells

the neighbour was probably gambling that nobody would pay 10L a sqm, and then you did. And they probably went oh! man. Snapped up the other 2 parcels before anyone else starting moving in, and hoped that you would sell to them, the neighbour, which you did. It cost them only $12 extra more than had they not played the outwaiting game, if that was what they were doing

and they probably thinking they got off quite lightly, compared to the olden days when they would have been looking at maybe $200 or $300 extra to get the whole parcel. 16m at a time

+

also listen to Qie

Qie has been a longstay mainlander pretty much since forever. He has done so much to make the mainland a great place. Him and others. If go by the mainland railways, can see what Qie has done himself in his own way, and get a free steam engine that he made, from off his parcels next to the tracks. Is a pretty good engine and goes really well. Is heaps of new people over the years who got into mainland living thru that steam engine

by going to the sky, it gives you time (12 months or so) and space to think more about what it is you want from SL, to improve your building skills, and to have a quiet safe place for you and your hubby to fix up how you want, in the meantime

There's no way I would smack you with my slippers, wherorangi. I didn't even do that when you sneakily moved into the gold position in the Starchild Rally ;) Especially as I recently, and equally sneakily, moved into the silver position ahead of Hugsy, who is still probably blissfully ignorant lol.

I endorse your suggestion to listen to Qie - and not just concerning this particular topic. He's been my #1 poster for many years, on all topics.

i notice you never said nothing about not stuffing a glass of milk in my face q; (:

+

lol you big sneaker (:

if Hugsy ever notices he will go whaaaat !! and maybe come back in earnest to claim his throne. Until then I am quite happy for you to be second behind me. q; (: 

if you do push me off the gold cup tho then I will revenge myself.  Just so that order can be restored to the universe (:

Ilithios Liebknecht wrote:

Personal attacks?
lol You're pretty funny
. Yes I heavily criticize your deplorable
actions
but nothing has been personal against
you
. Now you're just trying to paint me as a bad person so you can feel better.

You admit earlier in this very thread that you know you paid too much for that land. Then you knowlingly jacked up the price even more to sell it to someone who you knew you had in a vulnerable spot. You knowingly took advantage of someone for your own gain. You can rationalize it however you want that helps appease your conscience but you
know
that's true.

But yes, it seems that further discussion is likely to be unproductive. We all the know the score.

lol?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.