No copy giving from an object/work around for inability to change perms

Bitsy Buccaneer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is probably a noob question, working with scripts is not my forte and what I've read in the forums has just confused me. I'm putting together a role play package which includes a historic (late 13th cen) printing plate and paper currency and thought it would be fun if the printing plate gave out the notes to its owner, rather than just including a bunch of them loose in the package. Since currency is controlled by officials, no copy/yes trans is a nicely realistic set of perms. (Yes copy, no trans is pointless of course and full perm money is, in theory at least, a bit yikes. :matte-motes-smile:)

Relying on the owner to change perms before giving them out in RP is one way, but it would be nice to take that burden from them if possible. Giving the owner copy/trans notes would also mean that he or she would only have to use it once, after which the printing plate would become nothing more than decor. I'd like to make it more RP-functional if possible.

Is there a work around to the inability to change perms? Temp rez solutions won't work. Something that rezes the currency would, as long as it gives no copy.

Any ideas for other (non-script) approaches?

If not, is there a JIRA to set perms for owner after next owner or something similar you can point me to? :matte-motes-smile: We need that sort of thing.

Within the past year or so, Linden Lab has added new parameters to llGetObjectDetails, including OBJECT_LAST_OWNER_ID.  I imagine that you could write a code segment in state_entry that tests

key LastGuy = llList2Key(llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(),[OBJECT_LAST_OWNER_ID]),0);if (LastGuy != llGetCreator() ) // That is, if the last owner wasn't the object's creator{    state test_perms;}

and then write a new state test_perms in which you use llGetObjectPermMask to see whether the perms on the object have been set the way that you want the object's current owner to set them before passing it along.  If the test succeeds, you pass control back to a state in which everything works the way it's supposed to.  If not, you kill the object.

I haven't tried that, but it sounds like a reasonable approach.  Of course, it would be fairly easy to get around.  All the next owner would need to do is rez your object in a no-script parcel and then rip your script out of it.  Still, it would be a mild deterrent.  And you could make that exploit less attractive if you wrote some other vital functions into your script -- things that would fail if someone removed the script.  You might only apply the permanent texture to the object (using its texture UUID) if the perms were set correctly, for example.  Otherwise, the object would have a garish DEMO texture applied to it.

• Like 1

The first use of this will be part of a package for a hunt prize. The restocking idea is simple enough and stowing multiple copies of the bank note in the printing plate will tidy up the package, so I'm going to go with that for the hunt. Though rereading some things whilst writing up the stealth history lesson, erm, notecard for unsuspecting hunters :matte-motes-smile:, reminded me that rampant overprinting of currency (and subsequent inflation) was part of Mongolian history, so maybe I should just let that possibility be built in after all. :matte-motes-smile:

I am going to come back to your suggestions, Rolig, and any others may make, for the version that goes on sale and some other projects in the pipeline. Thanks to both of you.

If any RPers see this and want to chime in or IM me with suggestions for how they'd like it to work, feel free.

agree

this is roleplay scenario. The money (tokens) is more about not allowing a person to empty the container without going to a lot of effort. Like if there were 200 tokens in the container then a person would need 200 alts to empty it

a person might have 5 alts and get 5 tokens. However they would all have to  complete the task to 'earn' the money, in a roleplay scenario

what the tokens are redeemed for is typically associated with the roleplay: uplevels, status, points, stuff, etc.  Rewards of little use outside of the roleplay itself

for sure some people will try and game anything just bc they can, but those involved in the roleplay kinda know who is faking it and who isnt

like for example, in the roleplay someone who has played for 10 hours should have approx. 80-120 rewards. If they have 500 rewards then they are faking it 

It worked! The first time. Had to cobble two bits of script together, but I got all of the curlicues in the right places. :}

One of the hunt organisers kindly added a One Per Av bit to the hunt giver script for me, so it will at least slow down acquisition. The printing plate is stocked with 15 copies of the currency note and the information notecard encourages any role players to talk with me if they would like a different set up.

The printing plate only gives the stocked currency to the owner of the plate, so it's a rough simulation of printing the money. Maybe I'll get fancy and make a printing anim to go with the sales version. The friends who tested it for me are treating it like a fun toy, you know one of those toddlers' things where blocks fall out and you stuff them back in the top. :matte-motes-smile:

The owner of the plate can then give the currency to others, so no one else can game it unless the owner changes the script to open access. Maybe I could do something like offer to add a custom watermark if a RP community wants to prevent gaming altogether. Then it wouldn't matter if someone else bought their own or took every alt into my shop during the hunt.

Mostly I wanted something a bit different to get away from more ancient art to go on the wall. The initial feedback has been positive, so I might lose out on a couple of sales doing it this way (like Mongolian trade/Marco Polo is a lucrative area of RP :matte-motes-smile:) but hopefully will gain more from people just liking it.

I appreciate all of the feedback very much. I'm not an RPer so any help in understanding their needs is great.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.