Textures won't stick...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So here is my problem. I made a mesh avatar, and it works brillantly. I put the textures on and they look wonderful... On the beta grid.

When I brought it to the main grid and reuploaded it, and all the textures... Well, weird problems happen. The textures won't stay on their assigned material zones. They decide to mess up and jump all over, sometimes 1 texture takes over the entire mesh, sometimes two, sometimes the whole thing goes haywire and the mesh has one here, one there, and invisible ones in other places.

It works wonderfully on the beta grid, but on the main grid it just won't keep it's textures. I retexture and it looks great, but when I pick up, take copy, or wear it is when the textures freak out.

Anyone have any light they can shed on this problem?

I would think that was the case if it did it on the beta grid too.

But the beta grid model is fine, looks great, has all the textures.

But the main grid model (same model and textures) keeps swapping it's textures for some reason. I wouldn't see why it would work great on the beta grid and then not work right on the main grid.

Could you have possibly uploaded the wrong version of a LoD level when you came onto the main grid? That's always turned out to be the source of wonky texture issues for me, but then I'm not doing anything anywhere near as complex as an avatar. It's easy enough to test for if you think to watch for changes as you zoom in and out. Remembering to think of that early on is usually my short coming. :matte-motes-smile:

I wish. >< That would have been a simple fix, but I only had one DAE file in the folder so there wouldn't be a way that could happen. I've tried uploading it a couple more times. Once to the main and another to the beta grid, and beta works fine, but the main grid doesn't. ><

Not sure what's going on or if the beta grid is on some sort of new code or something. Wish I could figure out the problem. I keep thinking it might be an easy fix, but so far everything has eluded me.

Discounting an LOD issue, that does sound like a 'too many triangles' problem, apart from it not doing it on the beta grid.

I just found out about this myself a few days ago. I would have thought the uploader would have burped a warning.

I accidentally exported the wrong file and uploaded hair with over 80,000 triangles (iirc). Took me a while to work out why applying the three textures was making the whole thing go insane. I had alternate triangles taking different textures, one face got applied to the whole object if I applied that texture after the others... total nuts. Actually gave some really funky effects.

I know you don't think it's that, but I would just check the triangle count...

Pamela Galli wrote:

Probably because you have too many triangles. I can't remember the specifics but it was explained to me by Drongle in the mesh forum.

IIRC when it's creating new materials because of too many tris, the new materials will all have the same name which causes the material won't stick effect. And applying a texture to face zero will apply the same texture to all the following numbers.

This can also happen if you just have the same name for some, or all materials.

It also happened with materials which had spaces in their name, like "Material #12", "Material #135", where they all were truncated at the space. That bug is fixed though for quite a while in the latest official viewers at least.

I understand about everyone saying it might be too many tris... But why would the exact same model be fine on the beta grid, but have this weird problem on the main grid?

It's the same model, same textures, same everything. Beta grid = fantastic. Main Grid = Textures jumping and not sticking.

Model is only collectively about 4000 tris. Well below what I've seen on some models.

I'm just trying to figure out is the beta running different code than the main grid and this is how this problem is there?

It's a mystery.

Kuromeru Panthar wrote:

I understand about everyone saying it might be too many tris... But why would the exact same model be fine on the beta grid, but have this weird problem on the main grid?

Beta grid would be one of the isolated sandboxes there, right? What happens if you try one of the more developed sims there, one that resembles an actual SL scene?

Could you have double faces? That is well under the number of tris that causes the problem. 

Kuromeru Panthar wrote:

It's the same model, same textures, same everything. Beta grid = fantastic. Main Grid = Textures jumping and not sticking.

Model is only collectively about 4000 tris. Well below what I've seen on some models.

I'm just trying to figure out is the beta running different code than the main grid and this is how this problem is there?

It's a mystery.

Not sure if my problem is the same as yours but i was about to make a topic until i found this one. I have 3 material id's assigned in 3ds max and i made a small gif of what happens in both beta & normal grid (same thing would happen if i would be changing the alpha from blending to none or mask:

For me the image isnt working it just shows a hourglass so here the source link: http://i.imgur.com/CdFrKpt.gif

Anyone got an idea why this happens? Copying the object was the eassiest method to trigger it. I dont want to sell it if this happens

Just to be sure. You also did re-upload the chair with the official viewer?

I'm unable to reproduce this with 3ds Max 2015, no matter what I try with material names, bitmap names etc.. That would leave the too many triangles per material bug left. But I wouldn't think that anybody would try to upload a highpoly chair.

It could be an issue with the version of 3ds max perhaps? Exporting as FBX and converteing the file with the Autodesk FBX  2013.3 Converter could be a method to rule that out perhaps.

Its:

Polygons 23.543
Tris 47.106
Verts 24.031

I know it's rather highpoly i dont usually do that but it's 1 prim and 5 LI however.
When checking  "textures" they showed grey so i didnt include them in the import.

Exported to .dae in 3ds amx 2016 witht he default settings.
when exported the model had textues on them (multi-sub material).

Tried reuploading with include textures checked (eventhough it didnt upload any with it) on the main SL viewer, still the same problem. (also after re-exporting)

The limit for the hi-poly secret extra material effect is 21844 triangles. So you have exceeded that by far. With 47106 triangles, you will have three materials instead on one, if they start out as one material. The limit applies per-material. So it is possible to exceed it for the whole model, but only if you have less than 21844 triangles assigned to each material. Try reducing it to below 21844 per material and see what happens.

actually i have, i made a building from more parts but the door however the glass texture won't stay

Edit: I've detached each material ID and heres the following:

Mat1 - 13.584 tris 7.266 verts

Mat2 - 24.816 tris 12.410 verts

Mat3 - 8.706 tris 4.355 verts

Reduces the 2nd mat model to 19.336 tris and re-exported and re-uploaded. Still did happen

Well, I'm running out of ideas. Only thing I can offer is to send me the .max file (Save as type: 3DS Max 2015), and I try to export it with Max 2015, and see what happens.

You may also try to create a simple object (Box) with the 3 materials, and textures applied which are on the chair as well, and upload that.

About the triangle count in general. Don't get me wrong, but almost 50k for just a chair is indeed rather high. Thinking of that  chairs have a tendency to appear in packs rather than alone, there are quickly 200k tris just for a few chairs.

I would guess a land impact of 5 for such a chair would be considered rather high as well, from customers. 4 of those will be 20 LI already.

I also wonder how the lower LODs do look like with the default viewer settings? (That is the default settings of the official viewer.)

No offense intended. Personally I don't care much what  people are going to upload. It's just my 2 cents.

*Matthew McConaughey* Alright, Alright, Alriiiiiiiiiiight...

It turns out that the Importer doesn't like material names which contain a space followed by a square bracket.

E.g.
Material [1]
Material [2]
Material [3]

It looks like the importer skips the material names altogether when it hits the square bracket after the space. Which will end up with a mesh which has probably the same name for all materials (or even just an empty name?). Which results in the same behavior that was outlined in this thread earlier, with the too many tris bug, or the truncated material names at spaces bug. The latter has been fixed a couple of month ago. But obviously under certain circumstances it's still possible to mess up the meshes materials.

What works though, even with square brackets is to avoid spaces.

Material_1_[0]
Material_2_[1]
Material_3_[2]

You will then see also the textures displayed properly in the preview window, with the Textures checkbox ticked.

Someone should file a jira report about this perhaps. It's possible that there are other characters than just square brackets which also trigger the broken material names. Though, I'm not in the mood to test all this out. :matte-motes-dead:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.