When did website Friends List change?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Finally. Now if they could just change the order. I think real name should be written big and display name under it in small letters. Real name is the only thing that we want to see anyway. And display name is the irrelevent lil addition that might be usefull over someone's head in some RP but distracting in every other place.

Liisa Runo wrote:

Finally. Now if they could just change the order. I think real name should be written big and display name under it in small letters. Real name is the only thing that we want to see anyway. And display name is the irrelevent lil addition that might be usefull over someone's head in some RP but distracting in every other place.

Except thats not really the way the names are supposed to work. I understand what you are saying but your reference to "real name" is incorrect. It's the username not the 'real name'. The username is basically the underlying account name (think of it similar to an email address). The display name is the name the person wants to be know by (think of it as the shown name associated with an email address).

Using that email analogy, depending on how someone has set up their email account, you will usually get an email from "Jane Doe". If you want to know Jane Doe's actual email address you have to click on it and see the detials behind the name. The names now work in the same way - the display name is the main name the person is know by (and therefore should come first) but it is still important to be able to see the underlying username, just as it can be important to know an underlying email address. :)

With e-mail the Jane Doe always stay the same. And it is usually the RL name of the person, the first given name. If it start to change often, it loose it's meaning and everyone start to only look at the e-mail address to know who the person really is.

Same logic in SL. If we could only define display name once and then it would stay the same to the end of time, and if it would be unique and no one else would have that name, and if all old scripts and clients would show this name, then it might be the primary name to look at. But it never will be that, it is just another group tag that can change and we cant rely on it.

Anyway, this all been discussed over and over. Im happy to finally see the real name on the web page. Or login name if you prefer to call it that. To me real name is less confusing. It is the real orginal name of that person, not some mess around string where people slam fancy characters that might be visible to others or might not.

Liisa Runo wrote:

... not some mess around string where people slam fancy characters that might be visible to others or might not.

LOL I second that. I've gotten some messages from people with Display Names that would make Prince groan in pain. (And for those not in the know, Prince is the music star that for a short time legally changed his name to some unpronounceable symbol thingy. People still called him Prince though.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.