i was scammed about 1/2 hours ago. They took all i had in my Lindens...

SweetAmethystIris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was scammed about 1/2 hour ago.  All my Lindens were taken from my account.

I was in front of Wild Orchid on my way in to look at dresses when a gift certificate popped up and this is what it said:

[19:31] MRS AMETHYST LOMOND (sweetamethystiris): [19:26] Second Life: Live Help (liiiveehelp) has given you this object:
WILD ORCHID::Main Store GIFT Card! 80% OFF (Wear)
Do you want to keep it? "Mute" will block all future offers or messages from Live Help (liiiveehelp) .

So i wore it and they took 200 from my Lindens...all I had thank goodness.

When i entered the store i got a message saying not to accept this

[19:37] Wild Orchid Main Store Announcement shouts: Wild Orchid DOES NOT give out discount cards or objects!!! All discounts are applied by wearing your group tag and Wild Orchid vendors - DO NOT accept any 'gift' or discount items from strangers!

Beinig in front of the shop door, i did not realize it was a scam.  I am not accusing Wild Orchid at all.  I just want you to know this happened and where. 

My concern now is, every time i get Lindens, will it be taken...and does this interfer at all with Pay Pal.

Thanks for your help.  Awaiting your replay before purchasing more Lindens.

SweetAmethystIris Resident

2 answers to this question

This is a resident-to-resident Answers site.  We are all SL residents like you.  No Lindens ever come here.

You were fortunate to have only L$200 in the account, so you've lost less than a dollar.  There's nothing that can be done at this point, except to detach the object and delete it from your inventory (including the Trash folder). 

As a precaution, I suggest changing your password and, in the future, not accepting gifts from strangers (or at least not wearing them).

• Like 1

This is a variant on a classic Second Life scam.

One of the functions allowed by the Linden Scripting Language (LSL), the programming language that makes things work in SL, is the ability of an object to access your Second Life account.  This is a necessary function for certain things, like rental boxes and vendors used in businesses, some tip jars, and games that can be set to award prizes.  However, the function can also be used in nasty ways.

Objects you are given are safe, as long as they are in your inventory.  But if you rez or wear an object, and it produces a warning message saying that it is requesting permission to take $L from you, DO NOT CLICK ACCEPT! (Unless it's one of the types of objects I mentioned above and you are expecting this behavior).

If you give the object this permission, it can take money from your account as long as it is rezzed in world or worn.  If you delete it or take it back into your inventory, it's harmless again.  The scary thing is that SOME of these objects will run and hide themselves once they are rezzed.  These are very difficult to find and delete!

If you still have the object, you should note its previous owner and its creator, and file an Abuse Report against them for fraud.  Also give the names to the Wild Orchid store owner so that she can ban them from her land.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.