Are Demo scripts reliable?

Izzy Stipe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm preparing a home to sell but need a way for the potential buyer to demo it. I don't own land, so I figured the next best thing to do is to add a timed demo script to the house. If I do this is there any possiblity a person will find a way to exploit the script and make it useless?

and if you were to make it no copy, you would want to make sure the script is copyable, or place it in a child prim. if  the script was made no copy and placed in the root, they could easily "open" the object, and the script would be moved (not copied) to their inventory. and for the child prim routine, if they set their land so that only group members can run scripts, they could turn off their group tag, rez the object, and the script wouldn't be able to run unless they set it to the same group, (or move it above a certain height; does that still work? I'm not in world to check)

sorry to bother with multiple replies lol, one idea I thought of is to put an on_rez event, and use something like

on_rez(integer n){list dets = llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(),[OBJECT_REZZER_KEY]);if(llGetOwner() == llList2Key(dets, 0)){llOwnerSay("Rezzed by the owner");}else{llOwnerSay("Rezzed by script");llDie();}}
  • Like 1

Personally, I cannot be confident that I could write a script that was untamperable.  There's always someone who thinks of things that would never occur to me. The question to ask is not whether there's a perfectly reliable script out there, but how much risk you are willing to tolerate. 

If you are writing something yourself and need the sharp eyes of other scripters to help with the tricky parts, this forum is the place to come.  If you're looking for a ready-made script, I suggest posting in the Wanted forum.  If you want to hire a scripter to write something to your specifications, the right place is the InWorld Employment forum. 

• Like 1

Make it no mod/no copy. Time of 1st rez can be stored then and rezzer games are difficult with no copy objects.

Check if rezzed by a rezzer is possible too.

The alt gets the demo and rezzes it on land with no scripts allowed (for the alt). Never tried but should be possible. Scripted linked doors, closed by default in the house will make this scenario less attractive though.

Something overlooked? I bet.

rezzing anything on a no-script parcel pretty much breaks all script-based anti-theft methods. Also as well anyone who was intent on pinching your house would use a copybot viewer anyways, and replace any door/lights/etc scripts with their own

i think the way to do it would be to make it no-mod, take the usual approach and create demo textures for it

if it is a multi-part house then can put timed (or dialog button activated) llDie scripts in the multi-parts. This is more a convenience for the customers really than a anti-theft device. It saves your customers who are trialling it, from having to manually delete everything

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.