Hippo Technologies is down?

Cheryne Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would say now is a good time to switch to another system before they go offline again. I know caspertech has migration tools for migrating from hippo, but they rely on the Hipposervers being online. I don't know if others have a migration tool as well but trying to use them after the Hippo servers go down would be pointless.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So sorry to bring up past news.

Is Hippo Technologies and Andy Enfield gone?

I have Hippo Complete v5.65, was going to set up server/vendors for a rent system.

I was sent to a site from the news web page.

Wants me to pay to enter the store.I do not think so. :D

The rent boxes I have out are still working fine at SL and on the web.

Maybe I need a new system.

9_9

@MAMAbabe Magic I don't think the owner is active in world as much as they use to be and Andy clearly states in his profile that he no longer runs hippo since 2010 so that ones a given....I still have 200 hippo boxes set up with my units and the rest set up with a different system. I haven't had any problems with the hippo boxes at all so I have never had to seek help. There are still quite a bit of landlords that use hippo because it still does what it's intended to do, and does it very well imo.....If you are wanting an active support creator/group, you should find a new rental system. Read mp reviews and try demos even message the creators to see if thier customer service is reliable.

Edited by Lisa006 Baxton
  • Like 1

Thank you for your reply Lisa.

I will probably just use the Hippo boxes for now because they do work.

What I really needed to know is if the complete server vendors would still work online.

The only way to find out is to just do it, so this weekend if I have time I am going to set up a server vendor.

Thinking about getting CasperLet as I already have an account there for texture vendors that I never used.

Thanks again.

:)

I just read this whole thread and I believe you guys love to suffer. Go to Casper, you can get a free set of vendors that work with drop boxes and a Hippo import tool of some kind ( i never used it) I believe for 5% of the income or buy the vendors and rake in 100%. The customer service is there most the 24 hours of a day. Of the 3 times that I noticed a disruption of service (in the same amount of years) Casper and his team was on it like a chicken on a june bug resorting service. (That is to say very aggressively) Took no more then a day on the worse occurrence. (1 was a HD over load, 2 were on line cyber attacks) But we were all updated constantly in the group chat letting us know of the progress of restoring services. In Caspers profile he states that he is not a hobbyist here but it is his profession.   The wiki help site he has covers everything you can think of and its kept up to date for the most part.

There have been many updates and upgrades in code to keep things running smoothly as well so he isn't just siting taking money he is there making it happen.

No I am not his spokesperson no I am not an advocate I am just a guy who has played store with my partner in SL for almost 3 years (I wanted to play doctor he wanted to play store..) and have almost just under 1,000 listings and its all run smoothly. It pays the weekly tiers easily.

Dont believe me ask ANYONE in the Caspervend group chat and see what they say.

Good luck with your Hippo

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Until today, the hippo-tech-sl.com web site for controlling the boxes was mostly working.   I say "mostly"  because it would not update from the web site, you had to go in-world and hit "reset" from the menu, then it would download your configuration from the web site.   In other words, data from the server to SL was not getting passed, but data from SL to the server worked as it would accept commands and and the web site would still get status updates from the boxes.

The one thing I do not like about Casperlet is that everything is done on the server.  So if the server is down, your boxes turn stupid.   With Hippo-Rent, the boxes will continue to function. If the web server is not back in a few days, I'm probably going to take the time and code my own boxes.   I would store critical data (Tenant, rate and time remaining) in the box in world, but have it send to my server to keep track of all the boxes.

They have had problems before and come back, so I'm hoping they will do again. It looks as if they are having problems with their host:

https://hippo-technologies.info/2018/02/14/rackspace-service-issue/

Rackspace Service Issue

The customer login page for the legacy Hippo web services appeared to not be loading. Hippo Technologies server admin has been running stability tests, and isolated the issue to Rackspace Cloud infrastructure service performance. Since inquiring yesterday, Rackspace has just vaguely posted “portal maintenance …certain functionality may be unavailable or degraded”. Hippo Technoloiges anticipates this is a serious problem which could take a very long time to rebuild, restore, and correctly fine-tune. When a remedy is available for legacy customer web services, Hippo Technologies will update functionality status here. Please expect this setback to take a long while to correct and verify. Thank you for understanding.

Wow i mean really? Like really? they kind of stopped support long ago, you get no reaction, then their service goes down, they blame their provider, say it might take long time to fix, while there's nothing wrong on the provider end? This is just lame... so glad i quit using hippo LONG time ago and went to Casper.... THEIR systems WORK, and IF there is an outage ( which happened to me only 3 times in YEARS that i noticed), they fix it as fast as possible and keep their customers up to date on how it's going.

I am amazed there are still people using Hippo at all *laughs*

Looks like they just shutdown now today, main product website is down - mainstore sim is gone, the info website just had a post put up today saying:

Posted on February 16, 2018 by Hippo Technologies

On Feb 12th Rackspace Cloud Servers collapsed and took down the legacy Hippo web services which Rackspace supported. Rackspace admits service degradation to cloud orchestration and cloud servers. Surely in due time the long established server technicians at Rackspace will rebuild their cloud infrastructure, but for the time being there appears to be an unsafe amount of dust and smoke around the Rackspace Cloud server collapse to extract the backup databases to migrate to another server host.

For the last several years increasingly abandoned land through Second Life has also led to lack of new customer demand for the legacy web service. It marks a best decision for Hippo Technologies to step away from that legacy web service.

Hippo Technologies will certainly be keeping a keen eye to future trends in virtual worlds.

Sure would have been nice with a little warning, I would at least have liked to grab a list of my sales records, since SL only let us see transactions 30 days back...

sighs...

Wouldn't really help. All your existing products are trying to talk to hippos server via the specific website URL. And you cannot setup a new server using his domain name.

Even if you have a replacement system for inworld scripts, you still need all those already-sold products redelivered with the new updaters.  It also wouldn't be worth the effort to recreate hippos system, since there's likely already other solutions available already, but the problem really is those existing products already out with your customers...

• Sad 1

After I posted my question here, March 2017,

I switched to CasperLet. It works just as well or better than Hippo.

Maybe later I will get Caspers huge vendor servers package.

I have left all Hippo products because they abandoned their costumers.

I would suggest others do the same.

XO

May

Well - at this point we have little choice...  I actually have both systems, and use CasperVend for some things, but still had Hippo running some of my rez-vendors and my product updates (since Casper was vastly different on those areas, I opted to just keep them "for now").  I also noticed today the estate I rent land with is using HippoRent, I'm sure there's still a large bunch of other estates doing that too - and once they notice they suddenly no longer have any access to the whole backend it will be quite a problem for them getting a smooth transfer to another system.

I'm fine with a service provider like Hippo to choose and close up shop, but really - this is mildly put a rather poor way of doing it, with no warning for existing customers and apparently even still selling new products that aren't going to work. Going to be interesting to see how long they will keep that up.

1 hour ago, Motor Loon said:

Wouldn't really help. All your existing products are trying to talk to hippos server via the specific website URL. And you cannot setup a new server using his domain name.

Even if you have a replacement system for inworld scripts, you still need all those already-sold products redelivered with the new updaters.  It also wouldn't be worth the effort to recreate hippos system, since there's likely already other solutions available already, but the problem really is those existing products already out with your customers...

Yes, it’s the many existing products — typically the ones that represent significant customer investment

The Hippo Rent boxes still work In-world, you just can't update or view their status via the HippoRent web site.  If you want to add a new box, or change the configuration on an existing box, you have to write a "Configuration Notecard" and drop it it in the box, then hit "Reset" from the menu.  The  "Rental Box Guide" notecard that came with the original distribution has the full details on what goes in the config notecard. I thought about migrating to CasperLet, but their system relies even more heavily on a server outside of SecondLife.   What's to say that they won't go belly up at some point?

So I'm sticking with HippoRent and I'm in the process of writing my own code for web access.  At this point I have the boxes talking to my web server, so that I can view the box name, location, current tenant, time remaining and date first rented.   One good thing is that critical info, like the tenant name and time remaining is stored in the description field of the object, which makes that data resistant to major crashes.

Edited by zerotsm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.