why do i have 2 feet?

SeductiveShortie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SeductiveShortie wrote:

i want to get rid of the white feet but how? 

The white shoe is a foot shaper, probably for a different pair of shoes. If it came with those shoes they probably had an alpha with it that you need to wear, and also it looks like the shoes are well out of position and would need to be slid up your legs with the editor.

and it seems like when i wear garter socks its fine but when i take them off its invisable or those white feet show. i tried the editing shape but no luck, is that the editor ur talking about? sorry i am really confused when it does this. i wanna wear shoes that doesnt show these foot shapers

Shoes, in SL, can consist of several parts.

1) The 'default avatar shoe' is a clothing item (represented by a small red shoe icon in inventory) which changes the shape and/or colour of the avatar around the foot and ankle. It is now commonly used as a 'foot shaper' and 'height adjuster'. In your image it is the white shaded and blocky part of the avatar foot. Removing the shoe will remove the white & blocky shape, but it won't make those shoes fit.

2) Some form of attachment (prim, sculpt or mesh) in the shape of a shoe (an object, represented by a cube icon in inventory). Those are the lilac shoe-shaped things in your image. If they are rigged mesh, they can be a single attachment, often they are one attachment for each shoe, on either the foor or lower leg.

3) An alpha mask, a clothing item which hides part of the default avatar (represented by a white & grey hashed shirt icon in inventory). It looks like you should be wearing one of these.

4) An invisiprim. These are an old method of hiding body parts from before alpha masks were available. A lot of older shoes and boots use them, but they are broken under Advanced Lighting in most viewers. Ideally they should no longer be used. Invisiprims were often part of a shoe/boot attachment, but were sometimes worn separately.

It's possible your shoes use these, but they don't show up because invisiprims are now out of date.

(sort of) 5) A sculpted, mesh or rigged mesh foot (also a cube icon in inventory). Because the default avatar foot is an ugly flipper with vague toe-shapes painted on, open-toed shoes are often designed around a replacement foot. Sometimes they were built into the shoe. These days they are usually rigged mesh and have shoes rigged to match them.

Your shoes are either designed for a footshaper and an alpha, a footshaper and an invisiprim, or a replacement foot and alpha (and probably a footshaper too). You need to find the correct combination intended for them to make them work.

Do you really want to spend the rest of your SL existence with multiple feet?

Go to Preferences->Advanced and check both "Show Advanced Menu" and "Show Develop Menu". There are handy tools in both of those menus.

Now, go to the Develop menu and select Avatar->Character Tests->Test Female

If that avatar looks clean, you may have an inventory cache problem.

To delete just your Inventory Cache:
Look in: Preferences → Advanced.
Do NOT click Clear Cache.
Find the cache location, hover your cursor over the field titled: Cache Location.
Default Location is: C:\Users\[Win_Login_ID]\AppData\Local\SecondLife\
Navigate to that location using Windows Explorer.
Find files that end in: .inv.gz and delete, rename, or move them to another folder.
Now start the viewer and log into a deserted region; Pooley, Furball, etc.
Open inventory and type a letter into Inventory Search.
The inventory should reload and build a new cache.

If that avatar still has the problem, you may be dealing with a server issue that may require LL support, or your viewer is somehow broken. Try using an alternative viewer (I recommend having two handy, for troubleshooting issues like this). I use the official SL viewer and Firestorm, which can be found (among other alternatives) here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

If the alternative viewer works fine, it's time for a clean reinstall of your main viewer. Instructions for doing that can be found here...

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

And if none of that works, Freya might be right.

;-).

When my noob friend showed up at my door stressed out and wearing an invisible body, I suggested she start over with a fresh system avatar and go easy on the alpha layers until she finds out what does what.

Thanks for all the laughs.

---

Hope I don't repeat anything already written:

The garter socks are probably the alpha layer to hide you old feet so they don't show when you wear the shoes. When you have them on and your feet are invisible, try this:

To move the shoes into position, right click on one and choose "edit". Then use the "move" and "rotate" tools to position them properly. I had a problem with a pair I repaired myself when the shoes were attached to my lower legs, and had to un-attach then re-attach them to my feet. This varies with shoe type.

The latest SL viewer renders invisible prims as invisible. Linden fixed this issue and it works for me, anyway. Right after I asked for (and got) updated, non-invisiprim versions of all my favorite old expensive shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I concur, using the foot shaper on system avis without adding mesh feet you will get this effect. Yes those shoes are made to be used in conjunction with slink mesh feet. Even the places like Free Dove seem to have slink shoes which would be confusing for your average noobie.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.