Best way to demo a building without land?

Izzy Stipe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm getting ready to release my first mesh home in the marketplace for Second Life and need a way to let the potential customer preview a home they're thinking about buying. Problem is I don't own any land and can't really afford to right now. Would it be a good idea to create a timed demo of the product?

I have made some demos in the past either with DEMO on the textures (and no mod of course) or by adding invisible cubes with DEMO DEMO DEMO onto the build (again no mod). That's pretty easy and the second option doesn't cost much at all.  You can also put in the listing to contact you and you could rez it on their land.

The idea is to make it non-usable but still viewable. :D

That being said folks do seem to like to STROLL so forgoing a latte and getting some small rental land (quite a bit is a linden a prim so not expensive) would be a good plan if you are serious.

Good luck .

A temp rezzer is a great idea. A lot of merchants use them. They call them a TRIAL version. 

Most will rez for approx 5 seconds then de-rez however, I always wondered what would happen if you rezzed it on land that did not allow scripts to be run, would that mean it never derezzes? 

Might be worth looking in to, and maybe adding the idea above or adding a DEMO texture all around the walls inside and out. 

GOOD LUCK!

Depending on the type of rezzer you use, its possible to script a timed rezzer that gives potential customers a short rez time of your build. Obviously the best approach is to buy a small plot of land, put up a vendor so customers can rez one build at a time. Short of that, I think doing a short video of your build can do wonders for sales. Im working on skyboxes with video domes to provide the scenic view. Its very hard to visualize in a few marketplace pics. Heres a video example I did for the listing to showcase the skybox scenery.   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72954412/Mountain%20Retreat%20Skybox.m4v

Blaze Nielsen wrote:

Short of that, I think doing a short video of your build can do wonders for sales.

It probably would but it's still not the same as seeing the house inworld, walking through it, getting the feel of it. Also, people seem to be more and more concious about technical quality these days. They don't accept houses with flawed physics and/or LOD as easily as they used to and those things can only be checked in Second Life.

Recently I've noticed a shift in how people buy. I sell more and more houses at my inworld store, almost as many as at my MP sotre now. Other house makers I've talked with have noticed the same.

You could try using a third party WebGL site like Sketchfab to demo your mesh buildings. It won't be the same as having people walk through the buildings in scale and seeing everything with SL shaders, but it's a free alternative that still lets people easily see your build from different angles.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.