0xc0000142 error: Application failed to Initialize

Drongle McMahon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Installed latest mesh beta viewer (225059) but got error 0xc0000142 (Application failed to initialize) when attempting to start. Unistaller hanged. Deleted all cache, settings and installation directories and reinstalled from several older versions, rebooting between. Still get the same error. Old viewer 2 installation works fine. Suspect something in registry? Please provide a solution that does not require system reinstallation, as I don't have an os disc (XP SP2, old Dell).

Seems I can't answer my own question. S I put this here - After all night up, I found a very partial and unsatisfactory way back in. If I install an older (223637) version in a non-default directory (added"-2") then it works. It still fails if installed in the default directory (even after deleting it). This does not work with the latest two versions I have, including one that works perfectly well on another machine. Neither does it work installing over the new directory name. This means I still cannot install the latest version, which is essential for testing. Now I must get some sleep. Thanks for snswers so far. I look forward to any more suggestions.

Cummere. Thanks for the jira links/ Obviously realted to this. I will try the file deletion if it happens with the next mesh viewer. I deleted the offending one in anger and don't want ever to see it again! I have accepted your answer as I know now to watch the jira. I hadn't looked there because I could not have imagined even a beta viewer getting out with such a nasty bug.

5 answers to this question

There can be many events which may have resulted in the registry errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware.

It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows registry. This corrupted registry will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files.

You can Clean out the Registry using a reg cleaner, try running a Malware scan. Most of the fixes point towards using system restore but I don't think that's an option for you at this point.

I would give this Thread some time for additional answer's.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.