So the LindEx Guys?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maark Hastings wrote:

Way too many donkeys in the 'game' now. Each new major LL policy related to sims opens up the game to more and more donkeys which results in the SL land industy being more and more perverted. The trend started back when LL made it possible to buy single OS/HS instead of 4 at once in 07/08. Keeping the buy-in high keeps the quality and seriousness of the players higher. Now it's total donksville. Glad I sold my estate a couple years ago. Total gongshow now. 

What on earth are you talking about? What's a 'donkey' in the context that you used the word?

I'm assuming that it's a disparaging comment about a certain type of landowner and, if that's so, then I too am glad that you sold your estate a couple of years ago, because stupid attitudes like yours are bad for SL. Can't you find something else to do instead of SL?

There was a time when any imbecile could make a killing on SL "virtual real estate." Now it's nearly impossible to clear any margin at all, unless you're doing something very, very creative.

As I understand it, "donkey" is the imbecile's term for a very creative person.

(I suspect the true intent was to characterize folks who are willing to participate in a market for little or no margin. Otherwise known nearly as disparagingly as "hobbyists.")

This part doesn't make sense to me:

"The average Sell Price was about L$252 per $1.00 US. Just recently it climbed to L$262 per $1.00 US. What that means is that at the lower rate, there must have been around 15.1 Billion Linden Dollars sold. ($60 Million × L$252 per $1.00) But at the higher Exchange Rate, that same 15.1 Billion Linden Dollars will only result in $57.7 Million. That’s another $2.3 Million into Linden Lab’s pocket."

How are they pocketing 2.3 million when there is less money coming in? 

If Supply Linden is selling newly created Lindens directly then they make more USD selling at 248 than they do at 258.

After reading most of the comments concerning $L buy I believe there has been a recent shift in $US to $L. For sometime now from the time I started till end of last year the open buy for $L was in the range of 245-260 (2008-2015). The recent open buy is now around 270$L to 1$US. Highest level in sometime. This, I believe, was caused by LL policy change in allowing large landholders to "buy-in" at the older Sim land cost. The $L was stabilized when gambling and banking was restricted or removed thereby setting the $L price to cost of Land charged by LL. Land is what sets the price and with land comes prims the "spice" of SL. Whether the $L will continue inflate remains to be seen. LL is probably looking to generate some immediate dollar gains from this pricing strategy and it will take landowners sometime to see the return on their investment IF they buy into this One Time buy in. The continued weakening of the $L could create havoc for creators and slow down the landowners recovery of this buy in. I imagine some are trying to cash in quickly as possible to try and recover this ONE time cost they pay to LL. So it remains to be seen where SL and it's creators will go from here. Going to be a long hot summer for sure :D.

Solaris Okumura wrote:

If Supply Linden is selling newly created Lindens directly then they make more USD selling at 248 than they do at 258.

Yes, anyone who had a choice would sell at 248 rather than 258. But if Supply Linden wanted to sell new Lindens fast, a huge sell order at 248 may have taken months to fill, if ever. Any new sellers, seeing the huge volume at 248, would put theirs at 249. Supply Linden may then cancel at 248 and put orders in at 250, in smaller amounts maybe, and so on. This actually describes what we saw.

However, it did occur to me that if Supply Linden wants to sell new L$ then it can be done in the background. All they need to do is fill a significant proportion of market buy orders themselves - why bother with the LindeX. This would explain the low volume and lack of buyers that we saw.

Also note, the devaluation of L$ may not have been solely for LL's pockets, it also has the effect of making rent and everything else slightly cheaper for tenants and consumers. This may have been the intent, the extra money a bonus.

The maths in Darrius's blog - I'm too lazy to concentrate on it. :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Maark Hastings wrote:

Way too many donkeys in the 'game' now. ...  Now it's total donksville

What's a 'donkey' in the context that you used the word?

I'm assuming that it's a disparaging comment

Maark very likely also plays small stakes online holdem poker tournaments. Donkey is a disparaging term commonly used by small stakes players to refer to others in the game, when things go against them

say the odds of improving to a winning hand on the river is 30%, and 70% against, and the disparager calls (takes the 30%) and wins then they give you a long explanation about implied odds, pot odds, tournament odds, stack ratio, mathiness formulaic justfications yada yadaa. And their awesomeness in understanding the intricacies and fine points of tournament play. And their winning is reward for their awesome understandings

When they offer the 30% and someone takes it and that someone wins, then the disparager (who has now got their tournament chip stack broken) goes nuts and slags them in the chat for being a donkey. Like "who calls there !!!!! bleepdy bleep bleep donk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.