Is there any way to make the unplanned maintenance a bit more planned?

Quron Dagger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there any way to make the unplanned maintenances a bit more planned?

It is twice now in the weekend, I'm in SecondLife and suddenly things get a bit laggy or slow. You sit thru it, till you give up on what you were doing and try to teleport home, only to discover that you can teleport and must try a bit later. 15 Minutes and several tries later, you decide to relog. Which goes well, till the logging in part.

It seems to users as if their account doesn't exist anymore and on logging in on SecondLife.com it looks as if your account has been cleaned completely and you just joined. Which is VERY annoying, when you have been with SL longer then 8 years! But, then you find a post that there is an unplanned maintenance going on... And you think you are one of the unlucky few accounts that suffer a crash. But, the next day you hear from the people you are with, that they too were part of the unlucky few...

It seems a bit rude to me to simply 'notice' things are getting worse, and that you are either stuck were you are, and don't make too many changes, or log out and can't log in again. Also the message on the post to check back there for changes, is getting annoying, since there is no estimated time it will be done, or what the maintenance is for, so I could sorta have a bit of respect for it.

Right now it's just a blunt: " It's not working anymore, not our problem...". A little, even an hour or something, notice of things going to happen would sorta allow me to complete what I was doing and log off. And an estimated time, even if you can't get it done in time, would give users some idea what is going on.

Could you, Linden Lab, please look into this...

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

"Unplanned Maintenance" means "Something broke unexpectedly.  It's very serious, so we need to fix it right now.  We can't wait until a planned maintenance period."

The "something" that broke could be the result of an equipment failure, but it's just as likely to have been caused by a denial of service attack or a security exploit that leaves Second Life and its residents and their accounts vulnerable.  Nobody can predict when things like that happen.  That's why the repairs are "unplanned". 

Linden Lab loses money when they don't have people coming in world and buying things.  They lose some trust with residents and potentially lose them completely.  If it were not seriously important to make an emergency repair or to block a security problem, you can bet that Linden Lab wouldn't do it.  In the end, the risks of further damage are too high to ignore.

People are inconvenienced when Linden Lab needs to shut down access. Planned events are interrupted. Merchants lose sales.  People in the middle of projects miss deadlines.  Nobody likes to have Second Life's doors closed, even for the hour or two that it may take to fix a serious problem. If Linden Lab makes a judgment call to shut down access on a weekend -- the busiest days of the week -- they are deciding that the alternatives are worse.

• Like 3

at first LL does very rarely read here, all answers are given by residents as you.

The only difference is they know there are things that can go wrong.

I am very glad you never had a flat tire without being in front of your garage.

That you never had a power failure without having enough electric generators in your barn.

That you never were without milk, sugar, coffee or other things you need while stores were closed....

need more?

Something simply got broken and had to be repaired. Or do you prefer they wait till weekend is over next time?..SL closed for 3 days....yayyyy what a joy that would bring on the forums, if you sse what a little hick up as this already brings... get a (2nd) life.

Maintenance closed.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.