Here's an interesting idea.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So after sifting through quite a few sims and talking to more than a few people trying to find an approperiate place in which to roleplay and a group to do so with, I had an idea. What if someone were to take it upon themselves to network the rp community (for a fee of course).

Say Suzie Q is looking for a dominant Gor man to play along with (as I actually have a friend who is looking) and can't seem to find seem to find a man to call master. Or say is someone is looking to be apart of an rp family but is new to SL and hasn't done enough networking in order to find a home. Well what if there was someone who kept track of both parties?!

Someone who kept track of the master looking and the slave looking and steered them together. Kinda like a matchmaker but with rp sims and rp-ers. I think there's certainly a demand for such a thing as there are always new threads with people asking where a sim for this and where are people who enjoy playing out the same things I do?

Is there already some resource like this? If not I think I just might try and put something like what I've described together myself. Comments or Suggestions anyone?

Versions of this sort of thing exist within both Gorean and BDSM communities, with the additional wrinkle that there is sometimes at least an implied suggeston that the relationship move to RL D/s or "lifestyling."

And of course there are dating services in-world which will cater to these particular predilections as well.

Still, I'm sure some enterprising soul could make a buck or two off this. Personally, though, were I to take this on, I'd be looking into the possibility of liability insurance.  The potential for nastiness is high.

Nastiness? What kind and how so? Wouldn't people looking to get into certain forms of roleplay be already aware of what they were getting themselves into and held responsible for any bad happenings since they took it upon themselves to seek out help in from my proposed service?

Jagdish Indiawood wrote:

Nastiness? What kind and how so? Wouldn't people looking to get into certain forms of roleplay be already aware of what they were getting themselves into and held responsible for any bad happenings since they took it upon themselves to seek out help in from my proposed service?

While I suppose such a service could be set up so as to be entirely hands-off, any sort of proactively useful "networking" site or inworld group would likely have to be involved to some degree in actively helping people connect.

I'm not sure about the legal ramifications, but from an ethical perspective, I know i'd be a little leery about the possibility of setting someone up with a potential abuser.

Scylla Rhiadra wrote:
While I suppose such a service could be set up so as to be entirely hands-off, any sort of proactively useful "networking" site or inworld group would likely have to be involved to some degree in actively helping people connect.

I'm not sure about the legal ramifications, but from an ethical perspective, I know i'd be a little leery about the possibility of setting someone up with a potential abuser.

Right - so any place that 'connects' people in SL is actually possibly guilty of setting someone up with a potential abuser? Or are all potential abusers residing in the BDSM/Gor sector of SL. While I agree that networking or dating services are difficult to manage in SL and might possible end up with people meeting 'nasties' - I guess they can do that in any club, bar or venue as well as rp sim - so although I would advise the OP they'd probably be giving themselves a lot of work for a lot of hassle - I must say your response implies a rather negative view of people who are not vanilla (whatever that might be).

Just pondering

Mags Indigo wrote:

Scylla Rhiadra wrote:

Right - so any place that 'connects' people in SL is actually possibly guilty of setting someone up with a potential abuser? Or are all potential abusers residing in the BDSM/Gor sector of SL. While I agree that networking or dating services are difficult to manage in SL and might possible end up with people meeting 'nasties' - I guess they can do that in any club, bar or venue as well as rp sim - so although I would advise the OP they'd probably be giving themselves a lot of work for a lot of hassle - I must say your response implies a rather negative view of people who are not vanilla (whatever that might be).

Just pondering

Hi Mags.  Let me answer your questions.

1)  No, any place that "connects" people in SL is NOT possibly "guilty" of setting someone up with a potential abuser.  The key term you use is "guilty," which suggests some kind of transgression.  "Guilty" is not a word that I used.  But insofar as any place that actively matches people (rather than merely providing a forum for people to meet) has become an active participant in the process, there is an ethical obligation to do their best to ensure that they are not setting people up with abusers.  Which is what I am getting at when I say "from an ethical perspective, I know i'd be a little leery about the possibility of setting someone up with a potential abuser."

2) Can you point to me where I say that all abusers in SL belong to the BDSM community?  Or indeed where I mention the "BDSM community" at all?  What I actually say is "any sort of proactively useful "networking" site or inworld group" (emphasis added). The vast majority of cases of abuse that I know of, SL or RL, are from within the so-called "vanilla" community.

3) The "negative view" of non-vanilla types you seem to see in my response . . .  can you point me to anywhere in my comments where I make that kind of distinction?

Personally, I don't think a Roleplay matchmaker has to deal with sexual roleplay exclusively.

Take me, for instance. I would have loved to have such a service when I want to do Landless Improvised Roleplay, or to find a RP sim that fit a particular character concept (Search blows).

Magnek Fang wrote:

Personally, I don't think a Roleplay matchmaker has to deal with sexual roleplay exclusively.

Take me, for instance. I would have loved to have such a service when I want to do Landless Improvised Roleplay, or to find a RP sim that fit a particular character concept (Search blows).

Excellent point.  But I think that that kind of "service" would need to conduct itself somewhat differently from one intending to match doms with subs, masters with slaves, or even just vanillas with vanillas.  Combat or elven RP is rather different what is implied by sexualized roleplay, in many ways (even if elven RP, for instance, can certainly become sexual).

I know that to a lot of mainstream folk, roleplaying means either 'nerd thing' or 'thing to do in the bedroom', but what I was referring to are those with a decent IC/OOC seperation.

I would figure that those people with that seperation and no desire to take it to RL wouldn't need any other precautions other than the legal ones already in place.

(Sweet gods, this sounded better in my head.)

It would be really cool but a bit unpractical unless you focus on a particular niche ... best successful example I can think of are adoption agencies in SL. For everything else really, you can find within RP sims. Most RP communities have their own forums which are used exactly for this. The search function isn't -that- bad either for a newbie to go find a community they have an interest in.

It'll be interesting to see how the "interests" part of the new profiles play out too... could be a more mainstream/official way of what you're thinking about.

Jagdish Indiawood wrote:

So after sifting through quite a few sims and talking to more than a few people trying to find an approperiate place in which to roleplay and a group to do so with, I had an idea. What if someone were to take it upon themselves to network the rp community (for a fee of course).

Say Suzie Q is looking for a dominant Gor man to play along with (as I actually have a friend who is looking) and can't seem to find seem to find a man to call master. Or say is someone is looking to be apart of an rp family but is new to SL and hasn't done enough networking in order to find a home. Well what if there was someone who kept track of both parties?!

Someone who kept track of the master looking and the slave looking and steered them together. Kinda like a matchmaker but with rp sims and rp-ers. I think there's certainly a demand for such a thing as there are always new threads with people asking where a sim for this and where are people who enjoy playing out the same things I do?

Is there already some resource like this? If not I think I just might try and put something like what I've described together myself. Comments or Suggestions anyone?

As a sorta newbie that is quite interested in learning about the role play options in second life,  I would say that this could be a great business venture,  but I agree with Mags,  it will be a lot of time consuming work.  I also think it will take time to make any real lindens,  because you will need a sucessful reputation in order to command such payment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.