Fixing the Issues that have plagued us for years.....

Elohi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure it's not just me.  I log in, find myself "ruthed" for hours, I try to change, get the message saying I have to wait to fully load.  I follow the almost 3 year old recommendations, of clearing cache, and relogging, same thing.  When will these things be fixed?  Will they be fixed?  Does anyone even care?

C'mon, a lot of us spend a lot of money, even though we don't own land, we expect a little bit of response.  Fix the issues we've had for years rather than rushing out some new feature that'll break it worse.

Elohi wrote:

I'm sure it's not just me.  I log in, find myself "ruthed" for hours

This never happens to me. Hope you're not using wi-fi (don't). There could be issues with your internet connection (not necessarily something you can easily verify) or with your provider. Be sure to do some testing with a recent viewer: I mean 2.5, which implements a new system for transmitting data to users over the network. 

everything else, I mean EVERYTHING else, runs perfectly, it's just SL.  So, yeah, I've been told my connection sucks, my computer sucks, my mother dresses me funny, all that.  But, it's an issue in SL, that's been around since 2008, and has never been fixed.  New shinies will only distract folks for so long before they realize there's just a regular guy behind the curtain and that big floating head is just an illusion.

Elohi wrote:

everything else, I mean EVERYTHING else, runs perfectly, it's just SL.  So, yeah, I've been told my connection sucks, my computer sucks, my mother dresses me funny, all that.  But, it's an issue in SL, that's been around since 2008, and has never been fixed.  New shinies will only distract folks for so long before they realize there's just a regular guy behind the curtain and that big floating head is just an illusion.

I'm sure this approach will solve all Elohi's issues.

It's been pretty successful until today, right? :robotvery-happy:

To be honest, i understand his frustration. Each and every issue starts with "Its not me, its you"" approach. In lots of cases that is correct but it many its not. For example, I had problems with EVERY build after 2.5.2 including official one and I couldnt even run it. "Update .NET", "Check for viruses", "Update C++ redistribs", "What not". And do you know what was solution? Removing Winmm.dll that was shipped together with viewer (for unknown reason, since i have one native on in my system32) was causing issues in my case. Remember previous viewers worked just fine (and not having that dll shipped with them).

However, I dont see much people whining about it so its not affectin everyone. But, if reason for that is my USB joystick, thats working EVERYWHERE else, then sorry to say, viewer is poorly developed. Its almost as you are trying to debug BSOD on windows. Post error, and watch plethora of advices from "your memory is broken" to "your mother is llama". Same going on here and most likely will be in future as well.

My 2 cents, and yeah, im kinda sick of "clear cache" advice for pretty much every problem you encounter in sl, too...

Mostly users do not see what the application is actually doing or for that matter, is failing at. Console messages usually give an indication to what is actually happening, while on 'the surface' you'll just find an application that is unwilling to co-operate.

A lot of frustration can be spared if you watch these messages. I for instance can monitor it both inworld ( CTRL+SHFT+3) and on my desktop ( Linux distro using Yakuake ) so to see wether these messages are related to connection- or other issues.

consolemsgs.jpg

The recommendations you receive here are usually based on user-experience. Most users will recommend beyond actually knowing why they recommend it. The advices like 'Clear Cache' , 'Install a missing component' are not real solutions but more a trial and error assesment (like I have done with  Wakizashi ).

Now for instance you're getting the advice not to use wireless. A sensible remark if you consider that SL is not very keen on connections that are liable to have packet drops. On the other hand I can vouch for a steady wireless connection if certain conditions are met , like opening ports that have been specified on the wiki, correct placement of router(s) and so on ..

When one requires optimisation for their own circumstances it's hard to find a general answer working for everyone. Know as much as possible about your own situation and issues and only regard answers you get in here user-based from their own perspective without being frustrated that 'it is just you'.

There are a myriad of answers to the myriad of setups/configurations out there.

Hi Elohi,

I've had something similar happen to me on occasion, and to a friend more often.  In our case it also disallows making any changes to the avatar (like putting on different clothes) because it claims everything is not loaded.

It's just speculation but I think it has to do with the connection.  We both use wifi but my signal is strong and hers is often weak.  That leads to dropped packets and while SL should figure that out and retry it appears to me that it often doesn't. 

Viewer 2 does add a new way of fetching things that is more reliable but will fall back on the old if the newer way fails.  The newer releases of Phoenix use this new technique too (called HTTP Get Textures).  And, yes even with that, I've still had this occur.

So.... if my guess is right and its your connection.  (probably wifi)    Then the thing to do is to look into ways of making your connection stronger.  If you have a wired connection, the problem is still possible, but would have to do with packets being dropped in the network itself.   Much more unlikely.    There are things that can be done to help with wifi signal strength, but i'll wait for you to respond to get into them.  After all, if you have a wired connection its unlikely that this is the problem.

If you can't fix it for one reason or another, the next thing is to recover in-world from the problem.  This is a pretty drastic solution i'm about to give you - so you will want to wait a little while and see if things sort themselves out before trying it. .... the thing to do is to go to the Advanced menu at the top of the screen and choose Advanced->Character->Character Tests->Test Female (or Test Male).  

What happens is that all of your attachments are removed and you are put into one of SL's newbie bodies (Girl Next Door I think).  So go find a private place to do this.  Its embarassing for your friends to see you like this.  Then put on your normal body, skin, hair, clothes and various other attachments - and you're ready to go.

Good luck!

robin

• 4 weeks later...

This happened to me the other day. I tried everything, even different computers. I sent a help request to Lindens and they politely responded that they only help avatars with premium accounts. Even though I have a premium account for my main av, this was a new av. Oh well.

It would be nice if they would update the wiki on it at least.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.