Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rhonda Huntress

Jelly babies

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Medhue Simoni wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


The problem is that previous mesh heads and avatars will have to either be remade or a new version made. And i doubt any mesh maker will give them away as "updates."


Well, if the head, or body designers don't, meaning make a new version, then they will be left in the dust, as the new bento heads will be many times better just in efficiency alone. As it is, most people with current mesh heads won't even be seen by others because of the Avatar Complexity scores that these current mesh heads produce.

Pretty sure Solarian WILL be giving away its bento version as an update.

I agree with Medhue: those that fail to do so, will get left behind. You'll see their shop in newbie malls in a year's time, on that long walk between the landing point and the 'best in outfits / $300L on the board' contest for AFK people at the end...

The people that do update... will be the ones getting blogged about, bought, and used by the active SL community.

 

By contrast... in the mesh head arena, some designers have already said they will NOT update... and some mesh heads have started moving to discount bins (I saw a notice for one brand dropping its 'beginner / limited' version of its mesh head to 100L, as an example)...

And smart shoppers stopped buying things like mesh heads the moment LLs announced Bento because it was kind of obvious a shakeout was coming.

These days anyone with a copy of Daz3D and Blender seems to be uploading the latest Daz model... er... originally designed head... and putting it up for sale... so its no surprise many of those won't get updated.
:P

 

You totally missed my point.. By update i mean free update. Meaning the mesh creator gives away a bento verion of the old head for free. I really don't see many creators doing that. Who knows how much work it will be to re-rig to bento. Creating new mesh heads with the bento skeleton would be easier, and then release them as totally new products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


By update i mean free update. Meaning the mesh creator gives away a bento verion of the old head for free. I really don't see many creators doing that. Who knows how much work it will be to re-rig to bento. Creating new mesh heads with the bento skeleton would be easier, and then release them as totally new products.


Why would a new mesh head be easier than an old? It's the same amount of work. Also, why do they need to give them away for free? People will pay for new versions. I think everyone can understand that rigging a Bento head can be quite a bit of work, and willingly pay for it.

All that said, why make only heads? With Bento, IMHO, they should just make full avatars. Now, I'm not in the Mesh Head market, so there might be nuances that I don't understand. Aside from that tho, why waste time with only doing heads. With bento they get fingers, and even toes. I personally think Bento will make mesh avatar stuff simplier for the users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been reading here and took some advice and checked my own ACI...and was amazed.

One piece of jewelry weigh in at 40233!!    Guess I wont be wearing that out anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Medhue Simoni wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


The problem is that previous mesh heads and avatars will have to either be remade or a new version made. And i doubt any mesh maker will give them away as "updates."


Well, if the head, or body designers don't, meaning make a new version, then they will be left in the dust, as the new bento heads will be many times better just in efficiency alone. As it is, most people with current mesh heads won't even be seen by others because of the Avatar Complexity scores that these current mesh heads produce.

Pretty sure Solarian WILL be giving away its bento version as an update.

I agree with Medhue: those that fail to do so, will get left behind.

These days anyone with a copy of Daz3D and Blender seems to be uploading the latest Daz model... er... originally designed head... and putting it up for sale... so its no surprise many of those won't get updated.
:P

 

You totally missed my point.. By update i mean free update.

No I got your point.

That's why I mentioned Solarian.

 

As for the mesh heads. The only maker that has commented where I have seen it has said they will NOT do an update. Period.

They're instead going to do new heads.

Their reasons made sense: the technology is too different because their head has a lot of custom expressions (I presume this is a process of many meshed layered on top of each other, and toggling which is visible). And those expressions would not be possible to carry over in the same technological solution in Bento.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CheriColette wrote:

Ive been reading here and took some advice and checked my own ACI...and was amazed.

One piece of jewelry weigh in at 40233!!    Guess I wont be wearing that out anymore.

 

This weekend I grabbed some new jewelry that was, if I recall right, under 1000.

What all of this Jelly Belly stuff is going to do is good: it will make a rather brutal split between the mesh makers that know how to optimize 3D models for 'real time gaming' and those that don't or even worse: ripped content from elsewhere.

The mesh makers that survive, will be the ones that understand optimization.

 

But it does mean making a lot of shopping trips... and given all the massive monthly events in SL these days... I suspect a LOT of people are already used to that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Our hope is that over time this will encourage people to consider the complexity they create - after all, it's not much good having the most elaborate and amazing avatar in Second Life if no one else is seeing it."

 

Im wondering if first LL will fix the mesh LOD complexity counting, because counting the LOD models in the complexity causing a lot misunderstanding and confusion. For example my Kemono avatar mesh body alone has around 17k complexity while a TMP with its 4 additional texture layer shows only 8k only because their models has no LOD, well has but its only a single triangle, while the Kemono has somewhat optimized lod and just has only one layer mesh on it not five like the TMP.

And in fact when i go to a place which has around 35 people wearing kemono and similar optimized avatars i can still leave shadows turned on in my viewer and enjoy having at last 20 FPS, while at another place with these TMP, Bellaza, Maitreya and similar polygonfest avatars at onlly 18-20 people around i must turn off shadows because i barely having only 8 fps...

So actually some avatar with low complexity cause and will cause lag meanwhile some high complexity ones wont cause lag at all -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...