Comparing Mesh body to standard body

Ashlyn Gedales

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I only recently switched to Maitreya Lara - and still might not have done it yet if someone hadn't dropped it on me as a gift.  I will say that some body areas didn't go as small as I had been previously - apparently I was a pretty small butt gal.  I do now like the body more, primarily the proper looking joints & hands and the much smoother look overall to the body.

Know though that you may not be able to find a body applier for your current skin, so you might have to do some skin shopping.  Additonally, any non-mesh clothing in your inventory won't be wearable at all and most of the mesh clothing won't be wearable in the exact size you wore before.  If you kept all of the original items, then you might find a size that works well, though you'll likely have to use the body HUD to alpha some spots.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2016 at 7:34 PM, Talligurl said:

I have a standard body, and people tell me I'm gorgeous.

That was back then, now I have a Maitreya body with a Mayreal head, there is no going back for me.

There is no comparison IMO, the mesh body is superior in every way. The learning curve is relatively small, and there are tons of resources out there (including videos) to help people acclimate to mesh. Honestly, once you get familiar with one, it is relatively easy to pick up and use another mesh body with some ease. For most of your clothing, you can still right click and wear. Anything that requires some minor adjustment with your alpha HUD can be saved, so swapping outfits isn't really that difficult at all.

I am not sure what shapes people were using on their legacy avatars, but it is entirely possible to make a small and skinny avi with a mesh body.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

Small and skinny is possible, but not with Maitreya (IMHO).

TFB was my first choice.  However finding clothes that fit was a problem. 

This is my Maitreya body but still with the Tonic boobs slider.  I have brought them down to a B cup since but I am not able to get a new screen shot yet.  I would say I will later but no one ever does ... so Maybie I will ;)  Anyway,  at 5' 6" prim height I would say I am petite and I could go thinner yet.

Snapshot_120a.thumb.jpg.ec07585e3ffa1290e42831896be75adb.jpg

• Like 1

I must have a super tiny definition of small butt -- I had to set my butt slider to 0 to get my butt down to my desired size and even then I think it might still look a tad bigger than it did on my system avi.  I find it difficult to directly compare some of the sizing.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

28 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Lil to Lil ... hip length can also influence the butt shape, besides its own size slider. I find that squeezing down the length adds more roundness, while adding length leads to a more flat and stretched look.

Hmm, not sure if I played with that one.  I'll take a look.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:55 AM, Ashlyn Gedales said:

I'm not really new. I started second life in 2008-2010 and then I stopped. I had a really nice skin back then and shape but now I see Maitreya and Belleza, and although pretty, wow what a learning curve! I demo-ed them and they are really nice, but Im wondering if I can get a gorgeous avatar without going mesh? Cuz I like just right clicking and wearing. Or maybe just a mesh head. I love the catwa heads. Anyway. Any thoughts? 

nude there is no comparison between system and mesh. Mesh looks so much smoother.

if you are choosing between mesh head or mesh body i vote body

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

This, definitely.  You can actually make a pretty decent looking system head, but there is nothing to be done about those horrid joints and jagged body lines in the system body.

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

nude there is no comparison between system and mesh. Mesh looks so much smoother.

I use the Lara body with ease, much better than the system mesh. However, I tried and purchased a Catwa head and found it not to my liking in the longer run. The cheeks and chin were just too edgy and pronounced. I placed it back in my inventory and am going with the system head, which I have adjusted over time via sliders, to my liking.

I am open to suggestions to any way to "adjust" the facial features of a Catwa head. Until an upgrade comes along with that possible feature, I'm happy with my avi now.

47 minutes ago, CharlieMack said:

I use the Lara body with ease, much better than the system mesh. However, I tried and purchased a Catwa head and found it not to my liking in the longer run. The cheeks and chin were just too edgy and pronounced. I placed it back in my inventory and am going with the system head, which I have adjusted over time via sliders, to my liking.

I am open to suggestions to any way to "adjust" the facial features of a Catwa head. Until an upgrade comes along with that possible feature, I'm happy with my avi now.

There are now Bento heads which can be tweaked via the Appearance sliders. Could be worth trying some demos and editing your appearance to see if you find any look you like?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maybie Nightfire said:

TFB was my first choice.  However finding clothes that fit was a problem. 

This is my Maitreya body but still with the Tonic boobs slider.  I have brought them down to a B cup since but I am not able to get a new screen shot yet.  I would say I will later but no one ever does ... so Maybie I will ;)  Anyway,  at 5' 6" prim height I would say I am petite and I could go thinner yet.

Snapshot_120a.thumb.jpg.ec07585e3ffa1290e42831896be75adb.jpg

It is my belief that the reason there aren't as many "Tonic specific" fitmesh clothing is because it works so WELL with "standard fitmesh" sizes. Fortunately, Meli Imako is among the many FP makers who are releasing Tonic items (both Fine and Curvy) that are being picked up by creators. 

I agree that even a slider setting of 0 on the butt leaves it too large, but what can you do? I've bugged Fizz about making a mesh body with a smaller behind, and maybe she'll eventually release one. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CharlieMack said:

My problem with most mesh heads is what I would call "duck bill lips." Fortunately this is visible only from the side, but even still... LeLutka does have a head where the lips aren't as bad as many. I have and use a Catwa head, but I'm keeping my eyes out for something better.

13 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

There are now Bento heads which can be tweaked via the Appearance sliders. Could be worth trying some demos and editing your appearance to see if you find any look you like?

I toyed with Catwa's bento heads, but it seems that adjusting the protrusion of the lips to the point where I'm satisfied with them causes the teeth to poke through.

2 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

It is my belief that the reason there aren't as many "Tonic specific" fitmesh clothing is because it works so WELL with "standard fitmesh" sizes.

Oh yes.  That is one of the reasons I think Fine Beauty is one of the best alternative bodies.  Also, even tho Maitreya can be made smaller, with TFB it was designed to be that way from the start. 

The head I am using in the photos is one of the new LeLutka heads while the one for my forum avatar is pre-bento Catwa..  If you haven't seen the new LeLutka heads, along with the updated animations for all their bento heads,  you might want to pick up some demos.

6 minutes ago, Maybie Nightfire said:

Oh yes.  That is one of the reasons I think Fine Beauty is one of the best alternative bodies.  Also, even tho Maitreya can be made smaller, with TFB it was designed to be that way from the start. 

The head I am using in the photos is one of the new LeLutka heads while the one for my forum avatar is pre-bento Catwa..  If you haven't seen the new LeLutka heads, along with the updated animations for all their bento heads,  you might want to pick up some demos.

That is what I meant when I said Maitreya doesn't do skinny. It can be made skinny, but it is difficult to be skinny and well formed. I was amazed at how well your skinny Maitreya looked, but it's difficult to add "meat" to it and still appear thin. As you say, Fine Beauty is designed to be thin.

I've tried the various demos of heads from several makers. While they're all "good," if I'm going to sink $5k into a head, it needs to be perfect. :D 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.