Why do so many people hide their names here?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So why don't you use a different graphic that shows your name clearly? Actually, yours is just about readable but there are some who I can't address by name because I''ve no idea what their names are.

ETA: I take that back. I've no idea who you are. I saw the grey word "honored" and I thought I was seeing your name :)

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

I thought they didn't notice, do you really think is intentional?  ^^'

I'd find it hard to believe that they don't notice. My guess is that they do notice but the desire to use the particular graphic is stronger than the desire for people to know who they are.

My badge also hide my last name. Not intentional. Im wishing LL to give use better badge options soon. I have a feeling most of us would want option to have only text with one color, black or white, and no background forced to the text. Will tune the texture some day if it takes too long for LL to give us what most of us want.

@ Phil Deakens

I like my graphic. It shows me & my SL partner (RL boyfreind) dancing togehter. If anyone wants to read my user name, they can petition LL to change how these names are displayed & can click on my user name to bring up my forum profile, where it is clearly visible.

I use Stylish in Firefox with Cerise's Blue Goo theme, which makes people's names more readable. She even made one specifically to make the names even more readable. And there's another to take away the rest of the text on the badges, leaving only the name (so you can see the pictures better) until you place your cursor over it. You should give it a try. You can find it on this thread: Blue Goo and other style tweaks for community.secondlife.com.

Hope this helps... Dres

Phil Deakins wrote:

[...] My guess is that they do notice but the desire to use the particular graphic is stronger than the desire for people to know who they are.

you're looking at it wrong... the people that desire to the image more than the name have realized that the image is almost always more recognizable than the name... so they actually want to make it EASIER to identify their posts

assuming of course that they aren't just using Cerise's rather wonderful "blue goo" stylesheet theme which eliminates the problem entirely by adding a white glow effect around names, and a slight drop shadow to stats.

@ Phil : I was most of the way into a concerted effort to be mysterious enough and unidentifiable enough for long enough to be referred to with trembling awe forever as "Enigma" by everyone at the same time in a burst of forum-wide spontaneous mental synchronicity. I was already working on my supervillainous cackle and new outfit with "?!?!" all over it.

But after three hours, I was already referring to myself as "Hey You! Ditz!" So with a heavy heart, I abandoned my life's work and allowed my identity to seep into the light via a nice controlled gradient glow where my name appears. Nothing has been the same since. :womansad:

When people tell you it's not intentional, do not believe them. It is a diabolical trick. I am not the only one with agendas.

The system doesn`t let us choose the colour of the text - well not without it changing other stuff too that we don`t want changed - So I don`t think anyone "intentionally" tries to hide their name, they just use a pic they want and it turns out that way.

I added my name to my pic in a more readable colour as a workaround, but I think the Lindens are working on getting us more graphics options which will help hopefully. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.