say, how ya turn off avatar complexity notification?

Jumpman Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

25 answers to this question

Your avatar complexity has just become an important part of your SL.

The hope is to teach people that items from some designers are bad for SL, while others look amazing and have very low cost.

In a perfect world, we'll all pay attention to those complexity numbers and SL will become a less laggy place!

• Like 2

Jumpman Lane wrote:

I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT MY AVATAR COMLEXITY AND HATE GETTING SPAMMED BY SECOND LIFE EVERY TIME I CHANGE CLOTHES!

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean:

1. I can see myself just fine and I'm a hermit in SL so it doesn't matter to others
  2. I wear what I like and don't care about how other people see me
  3. I don't like to be reminded how laggy my avatar is
  4. My avatar is always low lag so there's no point (If so, I suggest you take it as a compliment: 30 000 render complexity? Yes, you're great, well done!)
  5. Some other reason?

As Whirly said, you can switch it off but I would advise you against it. Avatar render complexity is one of the biggest problems, perhaps even the biggest problem, in SL today and something LL and owners of public places just have to do something about. It probably won't be logn before clubs and rp sims and such start evicting laggy avatars. So you want to keep an eye on your render complexity for your own sake.

• Like 2

ChinRey wrote:

... It probably won't be logn before clubs and rp sims and such start evicting laggy avatars. So you want to keep an eye on your render complexity for your own sake.

Why?

This avatars are not rendered and so they don't lag anyone.

He can found a group for high render complexity avatars :D

Nova Convair wrote:

ChinRey wrote:

... It probably won't be logn before clubs and rp sims and such start evicting laggy avatars. So you want to keep an eye on your render complexity for your own sake.

Why?

This avatars are not rendered and so they don't lag anyone.

He can found a group for high render complexity avatars
:D

EMBRACE YOUR JELLYNESS! OH YEAH!

In Firestorm (not sure about other viewers) you can have the pop-up not show up by changing settings in the Notification > Alerts.

complexity.thumb.JPG.349b9e8a10930763e6e858e5b833d6f2.JPG

You can STILL see your complexity when you want by using Avatar>Avatar Health>Show Complexity Information.

That's what I do. Then you can still check when you want. 

• Like 3

On 12/6/2016 at 5:03 AM, Charissa Korvin said:

Nearly 12 years in SL and this wasn't an issue till they added it to the viewer.

NOW it's a problem? :smileyfrustrated:

Ignoring the problem and not knowing what the problem was in the first place are different than it not having been a problem.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, LunaAzulejo said:

so if I change the value to 1, it will only show for one second? I could live with that.

The notification will display and calculate the whole time your avatar is loading. The time you set it to is the length of time the notification shows after your avatar has completely loaded. 

On 19 May 2016 at 0:57 PM, ChinRey said:

Jumpman Lane wrote:

I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT MY AVATAR COMLEXITY AND HATE GETTING SPAMMED BY SECOND LIFE EVERY TIME I CHANGE CLOTHES!

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean:

1. I can see myself just fine and I'm a hermit in SL so it doesn't matter to others
  2. I wear what I like and don't care about how other people see me
  3. I don't like to be reminded how laggy my avatar is
  4. My avatar is always low lag so there's no point (If so, I suggest you take it as a compliment: 30 000 render complexity? Yes, you're great, well done!)
  5. Some other reason?

As Whirly said, you can switch it off but I would advise you against it. Avatar render complexity is one of the biggest problems, perhaps even the biggest problem, in SL today and something LL and owners of public places just have to do something about. It probably won't be logn before clubs and rp sims and such start evicting laggy avatars. So you want to keep an eye on your render complexity for your own sake.

Some TPV's allopw you to display your current complexity score to your self as part of your group/name hover, what he's wanting to get rid of is the really really annoying spam popup dialogs...

"you have swapped one system t-shirt for an identical one in a different color, please have a really annoying popup to tell you that your complexity changed by ZERO, twice, click ok to dismis this spam"

""2 of the 40 people here cannot see your crappy t-shirt check your complexity, click ok to dismiss this spam"

I turned that garbage off within 30 seconds of installing a rci-paranoia enabled viewer, about 6 months before it went live in some of the others.

4 hours ago, Zsigmond Alcott said:

The notification will display and calculate the whole time your avatar is loading. The time you set it to is the length of time the notification shows after your avatar has completely loaded. 

Now I'm REALLY confused. If I don't want my complexity popping up at some such intervals, what is the value?

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Some TPV's allopw you to display your current complexity score to your self as part of your group/name hover, what he's wanting to get rid of is the really really annoying spam popup dialogs...

"you have swapped one system t-shirt for an identical one in a different color, please have a really annoying popup to tell you that your complexity changed by ZERO, twice, click ok to dismis this spam"

""2 of the 40 people here cannot see your crappy t-shirt check your complexity, click ok to dismiss this spam"

I turned that garbage off within 30 seconds of installing a rci-paranoia enabled viewer, about 6 months before it went live in some of the others.

Your turning it off probably explains why you think it does things it doesn't do --  like, say, giving you a message when you change system clothes (it doesn't), giving you multiple pop-ups when you change clothes quickly (it just updates the same line of text), or making you click an "OK" button (no such animal in the dialog.)

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to put my unrequested two cents in. I just updated Firestorm and had to search for the debug setting again because every time someone with a crappy graphics card would pop on sim or every time I added something (I was trying on demos while shopping), I would get a toast telling me that someone couldn't see me. My baseline complexity before demos was around 30k for goodness sake. I want to contribute to a lower lag environment for everyone, but I don't need to be bothered every two seconds about my complexity when I know what it is as all times just by looking at myself. I'm sure OP was experiencing the same frustration at being nagged about a non-problem every two seconds.

I'm glad there was an answer in Firestorm.  Thanks for showing the setting, Chic Aeon, that was really helpful. 

My avatar complexity is at 39,587.  I don't change my avatar's appearance, generally.  Every 15 minutes or so it would tell me "look, people can see you now" and then 15 minutes later "not everyone can see you", then "everyone can see you", then "not everyone can see you" over and over and over again when I haven't changed anything.  It's a stupid notification as far as I'm concerned.  I get why it exists, but it would have been nice if it was easier to turn off.

Again, thanks Chic Aeon for the fix for the problem, it was very helpful.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.