Quick Time no longer supports windows which makes it a security risk.

MichelleAHunter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Apple has stopped suppporting Quick Time for windows.  Everything I can get my hands on indicates this has made it a security problem.  It appears as if Linden Labs demands that Quick Time be used in association with Adobe Flash.  

Does anyone know a work around where I dont leave my computer vulnerable by using an out dated and unsupported program?

3 answers to this question

QuickTime is used in Second Life to play video files in the .mov format.  I find that removing QuickTime from your computer does not keep SL from functioning.  Music streams still play, but video streams do not.  (I think that this may be due to other factors, not only the QuickTime issue.)

I hardly ever watch video in SL anyway, so I removed QuickTime from my computer and I haven't missed it.

• Like 2

Apple no longer supports Quick Time on Windows computers. It is best to remove Quick Time from all Windows computers because of security concerns.

The current version of the Second Life viewer (both the official viewer and up-to-date 3rd party viewers) still support Flash, but you have to download the PPAPI version of the Flash plug-in (the plug-in made for "Chromium"). Flash is still being supported and updated by Adobe.

Some old style in-world TVs will no longer work without Quick Time, but new style TVs work fine with most videos. Flash videos will work if you have the up-to-date Flash PPAPI plug-in installed. HTML5 videos using Ogg or webm will also work. These options will play many, but not all, videos. Specifically, MP4 videos won't play as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.