Sign in to follow this  
Cerise1488303085

Stopping "The region you have entered is running a different simulator version."

NOTE: Current LL viewers have already fixed this issue. These instructions will only be useful if you are still on Viewer 1.23 or a third party viewer based on an old LL version.

This is a repost, expurgated for the new improved family friendly forum.

If you are tired of the region change popup that we see so often in the age of RC channels, there is permanent relief on the way. The STORM-243 patch will stop this in new viewer versions.

If you are not running the latest viewer, you can get relief too. You will need to edit an XML file, but it is a one time change for each viewer.

1. Find skins/default/xui/en/notifications.xml in your viewer folder.
  2. Open it with wordpad or textedit or what you like.
  3. Find the entry with ServerVersionChanged, it will look like this, the text can be a little different on each TPV –
    <notification
       duration="10"
       icon="notifytip.tga"
       name="ServerVersionChanged"
       priority="high"
       type="notifytip">
    The region you have entered is running a different simulator version.
    Current simulator : [NEWVERSION]
    Previous simulator: [OLDVERSION]
        <unique>
          <context key="OLDVERSION"/>
          <context key="NEWVERSION"/>
        </unique>
      </notification>
  4. Change the line that says type="notifytip"> to be type="STOPIT">
  5. Save the file and restart the viewer if it was running.

I do hope this becomes a toggle; personally I can understand how people may find these messages annoying.  On the other hand, it's nice to be able to have some idea what's going on in the underlying system.

The informatin is still available in Help>About, and a simple notifier can be made with llGetEnv and CHANGED_REGION, for the few people who really need to know about region changes all the time.

Cerise wrote:

The informatin is still available in Help>About, and a simple notifier can be made with llGetEnv and CHANGED_REGION, for the few people who really need to know about region changes all the time.

I presume the fix you're refering to is going to be something you have to explicitly apply, or is it the new default?

llGetEnv and CHANGED_REGION are an LSL function and event flag. Advanced users who need to keep tabs on region version changes can easily incorporate them into their existing toolsets. The channel information has always been in in the vieweer's Help>About.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Cerise wrote:

I presume the fix you're refering to is going to be something you have to explicitly apply, or is it the new default?

The new default is going to be "no warning message".

If one needs to get notified, she can write and use a HUD as mentioned by Cerise (ask me for one if needed).

This change is appropriate because currently the main grid always run various different server releases, so the messages became too frequent and only few of us are interested in them.

start at the folder your viewer is installed in, replace "en" in the folder path with the language you use, (most english TPV's based on 1x will be "en-us"), then start at the bottom of the file and search up for the first instance of "[REGION]"

TaffyOcean Sommerstein wrote:

I cannot find this file on my MacBookPro, or in debug or preferences on Phoenix.  Guess I'll just have to live with that most annoying server change popup!

Old thread is old, but I see that the latest Phoenix with the mesh support still has this annoyance.

For Mac OS, right-click on the viewer icon in the Finder, pick Show Package Contents, then dig down into the new Finder window that pops up to get at that XML file.

Its in your program folders & not easy to get to unless you go step by step, word by word and once you get there omg you will be reading for about 30 minutes to get to the right line you have to change i stopped looking ..

RamblinRick Burns wrote:

Come on this is rediculous just answer the fricking ??

You didn't ask a question. You know this thread is from 2011, right? What surviving viewer still has this, and doesn't have a preference to switch it off?

Many people today use Firestorm, are you using that? For some reason that must have made sense to somebody, they resurrected this beast. On that viewer, you can use the FSShowServerVersionChangeNotice debug setting to switch it off. There is probably a checkbox for it buried in the FS preferences somewhere too.