Stopping "The region you have entered is running a different simulator version."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

NOTE: Current LL viewers have already fixed this issue. These instructions will only be useful if you are still on Viewer 1.23 or a third party viewer based on an old LL version.

This is a repost, expurgated for the new improved family friendly forum.

If you are tired of the region change popup that we see so often in the age of RC channels, there is permanent relief on the way. The STORM-243 patch will stop this in new viewer versions.

If you are not running the latest viewer, you can get relief too. You will need to edit an XML file, but it is a one time change for each viewer.

1. Find skins/default/xui/en/notifications.xml in your viewer folder.
  2. Open it with wordpad or textedit or what you like.
  3. Find the entry with ServerVersionChanged, it will look like this, the text can be a little different on each TPV –
    <notification
       duration="10"
       icon="notifytip.tga"
       name="ServerVersionChanged"
       priority="high"
       type="notifytip">
    The region you have entered is running a different simulator version.
    Current simulator : [NEWVERSION]
    Previous simulator: [OLDVERSION]
        <unique>
          <context key="OLDVERSION"/>
          <context key="NEWVERSION"/>
        </unique>
      </notification>
  4. Change the line that says type="notifytip"> to be type="STOPIT">
  5. Save the file and restart the viewer if it was running.

Cerise wrote:

The informatin is still available in Help>About, and a simple notifier can be made with llGetEnv and CHANGED_REGION, for the few people who really need to know about region changes all the time.

I presume the fix you're refering to is going to be something you have to explicitly apply, or is it the new default?

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Cerise wrote:

The informatin is still available in Help>About, and a simple notifier can be made with llGetEnv and CHANGED_REGION, for the few people who really need to know about region changes all the time.

I presume the fix you're refering to is going to be something you have to explicitly apply, or is it the new default?

The new default is going to be "no warning message".

If one needs to get notified, she can write and use a HUD as mentioned by Cerise (ask me for one if needed).

This change is appropriate because currently the main grid always run various different server releases, so the messages became too frequent and only few of us are interested in them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

TaffyOcean Sommerstein wrote:

I cannot find this file on my MacBookPro, or in debug or preferences on Phoenix.  Guess I'll just have to live with that most annoying server change popup!

Old thread is old, but I see that the latest Phoenix with the mesh support still has this annoyance.

For Mac OS, right-click on the viewer icon in the Finder, pick Show Package Contents, then dig down into the new Finder window that pops up to get at that XML file.

• 1 year later...

RamblinRick Burns wrote:

Come on this is rediculous just answer the fricking ??

You didn't ask a question. You know this thread is from 2011, right? What surviving viewer still has this, and doesn't have a preference to switch it off?

Many people today use Firestorm, are you using that? For some reason that must have made sense to somebody, they resurrected this beast. On that viewer, you can use the FSShowServerVersionChangeNotice debug setting to switch it off. There is probably a checkbox for it buried in the FS preferences somewhere too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.