Jump to content

ATC : Your DJ Preference?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys, I figured I'd "Ask The Community" about something that interests me during my daily experience on Second Life. I know that there is a plethora of DJs out there on Second Life that refuse, or love to speak over the mic during their sets, some people believe it adds some human element to their mixing so you know it's really them, some people however think some DJs don't sound so great - or that they drag on when they talk, so it ruins the "vibe" so to speak.

I personally understand both sides to the argument while some DJs prefer to just mix, while some like the idea of interacting with their fans on a voice level. I personally prefer to let the music keep going, and interact with the fans while I DJ via local chat.

What do you guys prefer to hear if you venture into a club?

And a little side question - do you care if the DJ is secluded in his little DJ booth, or would you rather see them on the dance floor with everyone else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, I like the DJ to voice IF they have a good voice and something good to say.  I don't want to hear bad voices or a DJ or one that runs on saying nothing.  So it depends on the DJ. 

I don't care if the DJ is in a booth, but they should be 'upfront' if they are on the dancefloor so they are easy to locate.  I hate having to search in a crowd for the DJ if I have a request.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Voice Personality DJ, I will not use those little DJ Booths so many clubs have. I like being out front and clearly identifiable when I speak on-mic between song groupings and accessible to type-chat both locally and privately during the song play.

A few of my fave DJs are mixing only artists and I love their ability to choose and blend a series of songs that set a great mood for the venue they perform at.

Also, If a Voice DJ brings it [fun, news, music history, local venue stories] to the set they are streaming then more power to them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

For me, I like the DJ to voice IF they have a good voice and something good to say.  I don't want to hear bad voices or a DJ or one that runs on saying nothing.  So it depends on the DJ. 

I don't care if the DJ is in a booth, but they should be 'upfront' if they are on the dancefloor so they are easy to locate.  I hate having to search in a crowd for the DJ if I have a request.

Agreed with this here. I also don't want to hear a DJ or a speaker go "uuuuh" and "uuummm" every 2 minutes or so either honestly. I dunno why, that sometimes bugs me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a fan of vocal DJs.  Too many of them are in love with the sound of their own voice or think they're doing a morning radio show with jokes and funny voices.  Don't even get me started on the ones that talk over the music to greet or thank people for tips.  If there was ever a way to ensure I don't tip you, that's it.  I go to clubs to hear the music, the less I hear from the DJ, the better.  As for where they stand, I couldn't care less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Krash1989 wrote:

Hey Guys, I figured I'd "Ask The Community" about something that interests me during my daily experience on Second Life. I know that there is a plethora of DJs out there on Second Life that refuse, or love to speak over the mic during their sets, some people believe it adds some human element to their mixing so you know it's really them, some people however think some DJs don't sound so great - or that they drag on when they talk, so it ruins the "vibe" so to speak.

 

I personally understand both sides to the argument while some DJs prefer to just mix,
while some like the idea of interacting with their fans on a voice level. I personally prefer to let the music keep going, and interact with the fans while I DJ via local chat.

 

What do you guys prefer to hear if you venture into a club?

 

And a little side question - do you care if the DJ is secluded in his little DJ booth, or would you rather see them on the dance floor with everyone else?

 

 

DJs have fans? Why? Surely it's the music that has fans. DJs merely put it on.

That said, of the choices given, I would prefer a DJ to speak, especially if s/he has some personality. I could understand a DJ with a well defined personality having fans - because of the personality, but not because s/he plays songs. Anyone can do that, so I can't see such a DJ having any fans. Friends who go their gigs, yes, but not fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

DJs have fans? Why? Surely it's the music that has fans. DJs merely put it on.

That said, of the choices given, I would prefer a DJ to speak, especially if s/he has some personality. I could understand a DJ with a well defined personality having fans - because of the personality, but not because s/he plays songs. Anyone can do that, so I can't see such a DJ having any fans. Friends who go their gigs, yes, but not fans.

A SL DJ is the equivalent of a RL club DJ and also a radio station music programmer. Getting the mix of music right is pretty critical to which station we tune into and/or which club we go to

for example with SL, most patrons who tip generously are older people, 40+ yo. So for example if you DJing a rock club then your mix needs to be biased toward 80s rock bands, with some few later more modern tracks, rather than lots of more modern stuff

probably the least played rock music styles in SL are alt and emo. Mostly because with older patrons these are the styles that their teens and now 20-somethings children listen too. And is a bit disconcerting (sad even maybe) for parents to get snapped rocking out to their teen kids music. SL rock club DJs have a understanding of this

country music club example. If playing the lateshift (10pm to 6am weekdays) then the patrons/listeners are attending/listening while winding down before bed, so have to playlist a lot of slower ballady stuff as opposed to more uptempo tracks

if the club is techno and is lots of women present then need to mix a lot of trance into the playlist rather than hardstyle

and so on

when a SL DJ seems to manage all this well then typically it turns out that they also have RL experience, as a RL club DJ and/or radio station programmer

fan might not be the exact word in the context you have given to understand, but good DJs do get a following in both SL and RL even if when they never say hardly anything

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Krash1989 wrote:

 

 

I personally understand both sides to the argument while some DJs prefer to just mix, while some like the idea of interacting with their fans on a voice level. I personally prefer to let the music keep going, and interact with the fans while I DJ via local chat.

 

 

it can be both, however with local chat then need to take your hostie (if you have one) into account. You don't what to come over the top of them too much

with voice I think that the 3-song bracket (10-15 duration minutes typically) is pretty much been tried and proven over decades of radio station play. In the break between each bracket, announce whats coming, run the venue ads, any relevant patron/hostie thankies and hiyas.  Using local chat for more immediate thankies, and or general conversation which is not tied to the session itself

Link to comment
Share on other sites


wherorangi wrote:

fan might not be the exact word in the context you have given to understand,
but good DJs do get a following in both SL and RL even if when they never say hardly anything

Exactly. I can understand a DJ getting a following because the stuff that s/he plays is good, but not to the point of "fans". We become fans of those who create stuff, such as songs, artworks, and many more things. I'm a fan of a couple of guys who talk about history on TV, for instance. I'd be appreciative of the TV companies for putting those programmes on, but not a fan as such. To my way of thinking, I'd be a fan of the music, but I'd be appreciative of the DJ who consistently played the right music for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Music in SL: I prefer live music or even just a live singer with a karaoke track.

DJ's in SL: Only if the music is some how different than ordinary.  If I can flip through the XM channels and hear the same music selection I would rather not have a DJ at all.

Most of the time I would prefer the DJ not to talk but to announce the song or make their comments in local chat.Keep the music rolling.  Very few have voices I care to hear; more often is sounds like I am calling tech support.  But that's my opinion about voice in general too so maybe I'm biased.

 

AND IF I EVER, hear one freaking ad from a DJ I am outta there never to return.

 

Sorry for being grumpy; I have had a hard few days recently.

/me goes off to find more coffee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...