HUD Creation

ChaosRaine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to make a HUD that allows people to chat with other people also wearing the same HUD. I'm gonna want the HUD to randomly assign small groups and allow them to talk to each other. Is this possable? I haven't done much work with HUD's yet. For my purposesI think I will need a central item like a table. So that I can assign three people to one group or something.

Yes, that's possible, but you may find it a lot clunkier than just using IMs and group chat, especially if everyone is not in the same region.  As long as they're all in the same region, you can use llRegionSay and llRegionSayTo. You'll be typing messages in textboxes.  The HUDs will end up using one communication channel for normal chat with each other and will need to be able to assign a second channel at random to your impromptu groups.  The tricky part will be figuring out how people join and leave group chats.  You'll need some way to tell who's available (a nearby sensor or a periodic llGetAgentList scan of the region maybe) and then some way for one person's HUD to ping another and establish a common channel, repeating the exercise with each new person who wants to join the small group.  I think you'll find that it will be challenging to write the scripts, and that the system will never be as easy to use as SL's own IMs and group chat options or Skype.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.