my new laptop's screen flashes

Mirage Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

You need to provide more information.  Please launch your viewer and go to HELP > ABOUT (name of your viewer) and copy and paste your PC specs into your post.  You don't need to log in to do this.

Please do not create a new post . Edit your original post instead. You can edit your post to add additional information by logging in to the web site, going to the post you want to edit, then clicking "Options" at the top right of the post and choosing edit.

The only Dell Inspiron laptop suitable for high-end gaming and SecondLife is the 7000 series:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

It starts at $749.99 and goes up from there. I has a custom cooling system specifically designed for running a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 GPU at a high performance level. 

All others in the Dell Inspiron laptop stable are suitable for Minecraft level of graphics rendering. These can run SL but at substantially reduced rendering rate.

Flashing on a laptop usually indicates that you have forced Hardware Skinning on and the GPU is just not up to the task. Turn this feature off and you should find the SL Viewer behaves again.

BTW in the Dell Inspiron 5000 series there is one unit that features the AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3 GPU which should also work OK with SL at a higher performance level.

• Like 1

KarenMichelle is mostly right. But, you can run SL on lesser laptops. I do.

To know if you can run SL and to get started figuring out what the problem is you need to follow Amethyst Jetaime's advice and give us the details on your laptop and viewer. Otherwise, we really have no idea what's up with your system.

I am sinning a Dell 15 7000 series (7567) and it does an amazing job.  It is a decent budget gaming machine with 16GB of memory, a discrete graphics card, and a backlit keyboard.  I will bring the memory up to 32GB soon, and maybe even get a better screen.  As it came from the factory it needed a bit of tweaking of the color settings, it comes pumped way up.  I am running it on Ultra and it performs really well.

I think any of the Dell 7000 gaming series would work well for SL.   Unless you want to spend a fortune on a super high end gaming machine, this is a good solid machine that will run SL for a while to come (my last laptop lasted 7 years before it became too slow sluggish).  Get the best you can afford.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.