Daily TP spams over months from TRAMPS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

wherorangi wrote:

a thing is that the spammer most likely has nothing to do with the club ownership

is most likely just some butthurt guy who got banned from there, and has been on a baww ever since, trying to bring that club into disrepute

given the volume of spams then I think is more a butthurt bawbag doing it than the club owner(s). Spamming the JIRA in the 1000s and 1000s is a defo butthurt move 

Yeah I agree.

The inworld TP spam requests seem to be from actual "official" Tramp bots but I'm not so sure about this excessive JIRA spam.

Between those 2 new 1 day old accounts, they clocked up over 40 THOUSAND JIRA issues today. That's just so excessive I can't believe it's actually being done with the consent of the Tramps management.

Thing is though, Tramps has pissed off so many people with their "real" spam, it wouldn't surprise me if someone who has just had enough of it is doing this to escalate action finally being taken against that damn place.

wherorangi wrote:

a thing is that the spammer most likely has nothing to do with the club ownership

Alternatively it has everything to do with them.

This is the behaviour of a bot gone awry, absolutely, but that's the service you get when you pay bottom-dollar for spam-as-publicity. To me it makes sense that a small SL operation would probably only hire garage operations to post spam for them. There's nothing to suggest the operators of this place have any technical skill, and hiring out for this kind of task is easy - there's ads for it all over.

It's not doing much other than picking something like *.secondlife.com, looking for targettable forms and firing over and over. The operator of the bot likely doesn't know what a JIRA is, nor the ramifications of posting spam to it. Bot operators at the low end typically have a target (e.g. 10,000 posts for $x), it doesn't pay them to sit around and check for quality, if only quantity matters.

No reason to cut these folks any slack. Sorry to hear you've had such a busy day, Whirly.

I can't agree with that suggestion, Freya. As a programmer, I've written Web bots for various reasons. Anyone who is able to write one, has a brain, and writes it in such a way that it doesn't post to the same URL more than once in a given period of time. If the current JIRA spam is down to the Tramps owner, s/he wouldn't order that many instances, simply because s/he knows that there is only a small number of URLs to hit.

I feel certain that it's due to pay-back. No doubt deserved, from what I've read here, but pay-back just the same.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Thing is though, Tramps has pissed off so many people with their "real" spam, it wouldn't surprise me if someone who has just had enough of it is doing this to escalate action finally being taken against that damn place.

yes

i think is two things going on here

the JIRA attack and same on this forums, is I am pretty sure a retaliation attack against LL for not seeming to do anything about the inworld spambots run (or engaged) by the club owner

Phil Deakins wrote:

I can't agree with that suggestion, Freya.

*shrug* Fair enough. Was just providing a perspective, I don't really care to defend it. I run honeypots for spammers through a few technologies, there's plenty of idiots out there. Will say that maybe you're taking your experiences as universal, and - again - the programmer is not necessarily the user in the same way that neither is the proprietor. There's operations out there that get a bot from somewhere, and try to hammer it into shape.

One server of mine simply doesn't notify that it uses SPF for authenticity, and one group of bots has been targetting it a hundred times a day for the last two years - it all drops straight into a blackhole. They've never upped their methods or gone back to check they're not wasting their time, but I've collected a lot of info on their group out of it.

Another time I saw a group crack into an FTP server and then run a fake Google Ads campaign through it. Problem was, they typo'd their original template so badly the bots never posted any valid links.

Just talking about my anecdotal experience of this, I'm not spending any time investigating these folks. But I'd hesitate a long while before giving anyone involved in that operation any intellectual credit.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.