SL pics and privacy

Fantino Sella

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can someone take pics of me in SL without my permission and then put them on a web page?

I mean if a girl takes a pic of me making love with her without my permission and then post it on a photo web site naming the pic with my SL name, isn't this a privacy violation?

This was what i was talking about, sorry if i hadn't been clear before

5 answers to this question

I didn't see your earlier post, so pardon me for pasting my reply here again.

===========

Rhonda quoted the Snapshot and Machnina policy for you.  If you scroll through that policy, you'll see that the restriction on machinima are much tighter than on snapshots.  Specifically, "Consent is not required for any snapshots."  So there's your answer.  Now, is it nice to do what that girl did?  I don't think so, but it's not breaking any rules.  Take some comfort in the fact that it's a picture of your avatar, not you, and that nobody knows who you are in RL unless you have been telling people. 

• Like 2

TOS: 6.1 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

You agree that you will not:(iv) Post, display, or transmit Content (including any communication(s) with employees of Linden Lab) that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

Isn't this an another person's privacy violation?

There's certainly an ambiguous conflict between those two policies. You can always try submitting an Abuse Report to see what happens. My guess, though, is that the more rigid statement in the Snapshot policy will outweight the more interpretive standard of that section of the TOS. Try it and see.

Generally speaking a picture of an avatar located on the grid that ends up lets say on FaceBook does not violate any current real world laws nor the Linden lab TOS. The GRID that SL runs on is for all intents and purposes a public place. Avatars in virtual 3D spaces do not have any real world legal rights save those related to protecting the account holders identity and that only applies within the context of Second Life itself via the agreement you acknowledge when you create an account.

That reference regarding privileged communications with and by Linden Lab employees being one of these covenants. [Oh ask me, I've been spanked for sharing that correspondence in the SL Forums] Of course sharing that correspondence in an "outside of SL" Blog is under no such restrictions.

So including a SL snapshot to underscore a verbal [or chatted] harassment of someone's Avatar or SL Business in one of the SL GRID Feeds or SL Website Blogs or Forums will get you spanked. Linden Lab has dominion there.

Do the same thing to someone's Avatar or SL Business outside of the Linden Lab provided Feeds or SL Website Blogs or Forums and you go Scott free.

LL has no control over what someone does on another web site.  HOWEVER, you should check with that website and see what their policy is about posting pictures without the permission of the subjects of the pictures.  Perhaps she violated their policy OR you could request that they be removed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.