What is the latest (best) Nvidia Graphics card for Second Life?

Carolyn Crosley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

That's a hard question to answer, not merely because the answer is likely to change several times a month.  I just did a passmark comparison for my own graphics card, a NVidia GeForce 750 Ti.  I have had it for almost two years and have had very good performance from it on Ultra High settings.  For my own purposes as a builder and scripter, it is much more than satisfactory.  Look at the comparison, though ....

It has a much lower rating than, say, the GTX 970, which is newer and is at the top of that list as far as performance.  Notice, however, that the lower chart says my 750 Ti is ranked above all the other cards as far as value for the price.  So, should I rush out and buy a GTX 970 for $330?  Personally, I don't think so, especially since I know that I'll also have to pop for a bigger power supply too.  If I were buying a brand new machine, though? .... maybe. 

You really have to do your own research to decide what you can afford and how much performace you really need. Get opinions from people who actually have the cards you are interested in, or at least read the reviews on line carefully.  I know what I consider good for me, and what I can afford to pay, but I still don't know what's the "best" card for my computer.  I really don't know how to answer those for you.

• Like 2

I have that Nvidia GTX 960 and I'm very happy with it in Ultra mode as well. It's selling for $190.00 these days. I paid $$240.00 for a a few years ago. The price/performance seems to be holding up at 3rd place on the comparison chart Rolig Posted. But that was for a new PC with a killer 1100 watt Power Supply in it. Yeah I know...overkill but this is my Radio Station PC as well and it has 3 3TB Drives in it.

• Like 1

UPDATED 1/31/17- NEW GTX 1050ti out by PNY it has a PCI-E 6 pin connection, clocked higher, and allows greater overclocking since it uses your psu to feed it power. Solely for SL use I'd advise the 2GB version, but SL use/pc gamer I'd go with the 4GB model. Although not the most powerful card it is more than enough for SL use. Both are currently available at BestBuy:

2GB ver.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xlr8-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-2gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5711723.p?skuId=5711723

4GB ver.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xlr8-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5711724.p?skuId=5711724

Yes, I know this is an old thread, BUT a commonly asked question. This is a lot of bang for your money that will run SL well. FYI none of the Nvidia GTX 1xxxx series GPUs support an analog signal, so a VGA adapter will not work! You could go for the gusto & buy a GTX 1080, but just for SL use it would be major overkill.

"I Love Simplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.