Has Sansar killed all hope for VR support in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I know there is a beta viewer available that supposedly supports Oculus, but I also see that it hasn't been updated or changed since October 2014 and recent posts here, claiming it will not load. 

CtrlAltDel is no longer maintained according to its website.

So as far as I can tell, there are no current viewers supporting Oculus Rift or any of the other VR gadgets making their way to consumers in the coming months.

Has the Lab abandoned further development of a SecondLife viewer supporting Oculus Rift or other VR gadgets, reserving the appeal of their immersive capabilities for Project Sansar?

I fear the answer will be one of great disappointment. :smileysad:

TrinaCarlsson wrote:

So, I know there is a beta viewer available that supposedly supports Oculus, but I also see that it hasn't been updated or changed since October 2014 and recent posts here, claiming it will not load. 

CtrlAltDel is no longer maintained according to its website.

So as far as I can tell, there are no current viewers supporting Oculus Rift or any of the other VR gadgets making their way to consumers in the coming months.

Has the Lab abandoned further development of a SecondLife viewer supporting Oculus Rift or other VR gadgets, reserving the appeal of their immersive capabilities for Project Sansar?

I fear the answer will be one of great disappointment. :smileysad:

My understanding is that the Oculus viewer is still being worked on and should get an update in the reasonably near future. However, Second Life's object/texture structure and procedures just aren't designed for the extremely high framerates needed to work well with a VR headset and the experience won't be great even with a new viewer.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

However, Second Life's object/texture structure and procedures just aren't designed for the extremely high framerates needed to work well with a VR headset

Not just that but the content too. I don't think I'm exaggerating if I say that on avaerage Second Life content is twice as data heavy and three times as render heavy as it needs to be. That seriously reduces the max. client side frame rate and can't be fixed with a software upgrade. (This is probalby the main reason why LL has told us we can't jsut take our Second Life belngings with us to Sansar btw.)

Hmm. If we look out ten years, I'm pretty sure there will still be viewing of virtual worlds without VR headsets, and it seems almost as likely that VR headsets will still be "a thing" at that point (and not another commercial flop like 3D television turned out to be).

Thing is, will VR users really want the same content that non-VR users enjoy? I mean, there will surely be experiences that are cool in VR but lame without -- and vice versa, I think.

So are mixed-mode Sansar and VR-capable SL viewers merely temporary stop-gaps until virtual worlds fully diverge into exclusively VR and non-VR experiences?

I think there is an arguement that can be made for SecondLife's structure and procedures not being well designed for the average users computer either, but that doesn't usually stop people from using them to log in to SL. :matte-motes-tongue:

SecondLife's limitations aside, I do hope that you are correct and there is still development ongoing for that viewer.  I'll have to remain skeptical for now.  Its been a year and a half with no updates and the only talk of VR I can find out of the lab, surrounds Sansar.

CtrlAltStudio no longer being maintained just seems to add insult to injury and reinforces my feeling that any hope for VR functionalityin SL, for those of us who have a computer capable of handling it, has been abandoned.

Flip side of course is that if one of these gadgets makes it in to my price/interest range then I will worry about finding content that fits the same criteria. And quite possibly build for it, if still in the mood.

If SL could be retrofitted to fit the current toys specs (which from a 'build complexity' point would be doable although thats only part of it and does not take in to account actual delivery etc)  then it may be worth it, else it stays an interesting challenge for whoever wanted to work on a viewer. And more power to them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.