What's the limit of your hospitality? My Friday thread...

Willow Danube

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We are encouraged to be friendly and respect our fellow residents in SL. We are expected to be nice and hospitable to newcomers and visitors. But, what would you do when a newbie just popped into your house one fine day without a knock or announcement?...

Me: Errr, Hi??!!
Him: Can I sit? [...went for the rug and click on it...] Where is the pose ball?
Me: Uhmmm... just right click and sit. [...Checked his profile.. 2 weeks old...]... Newbie, huh? [...sit next to him...]
Him: Yes, I'm new ... You have a nice pretty home... Like you.
Me: Thank You. How can I help you?
Him: I'm looking for some pretty girls to share activities in Second Life.
Me: Define 'Share'...
Him: [...after a long pause...] Someone to have fun with. Long walk on the beach, dancing at the club, chatting, romance..
Me: aahhh...
Him: You look pretty enough. Do you want to become my GF in this game?
Me: What can you offer?
Him: I can teach you romance and spanish in this game.
Me: You are Level 1 and I am Level 3. I don't do romance with Level 1 gamers.
Him: Why not? I am a good gamer.. I just don't want to pay to come out from Newbie.
Me: I supposed you want to stay in this house too if I say Yes?
Him: Sure... couples stays together..If you let me, I can show you my **bleep** a lady friend gave me just a few blocks from your house. She is also new like me but she bought a house and sex bed.
Me: No need, thanks... It must be the Freenis..
Him: Freenis?
Me: Free **bleep**... Level 2 gamers will buy from Lotus, Level 3 and above will buy from SexGen and Xcite!.
Him: I am not going to pay... How many levels does this game have?
Me: I don't know, let me count  [... started counting all the visible forum ranks..] ... I think 10 Levels all together. If the Lindens thinks you are awesome, they'll elevate you to godmode status and you have a last name of Linden.
Him: What can they do?
Me: Nevermind...
Him: [..long pause..] ... so you want? I play WoW.. I am good gamer.
Me: I don't date Level 1 gamers...

I guess by this time he got impatient so he got up and started clicking and trying on all my furnitures.

Him: Where are pose balls?
Me: Type Show and all the balls will show up.
Him: [In local chat] "Type show"
Him: I see nothing!
Me: don't say "Type Show"... just type the word "show" in local chat.
Him: "Show"...[sat on it, stand, sat on it again, stand, tried the other pose ball, stand...] How come there are no sex balls in your house?
Me: Why?
Him: for Romance!
Me: Not with Level 1 gamers.
Him: I think you look down on beginners like me.
Me: smiles .... Only to you.
Him: I better go.. you are boring and should not play in this game.
Him: [typed something in Spanish... ]... Tu, &*^@msuieh#&**#*&&@!$$**..'*^# Senorita..laksueo*jskwo**....  [at least that was how I interpreted it.. :smileyvery-happy:..]
Me: OK, mafee mushkila, sadek.. masaalama.. to go out from this house left click on the door in fr.....
Him: I know to OPEN AND CLOSE!!
Me: laughs... thought you need help. Please FEEL FREE NOT to come back to my house again.

He walked off. Put him on my ban list.

..... End....

Now what would you do? Perhaps an insight to your experience? What is your 'Nice-ness' limit to someone new before you pull the trigger?

But, what would you do when a newbie just popped into your house one fine day without a knock or announcement?...

Now what would you do? Perhaps an insight to your experience? What is your 'Nice-ness' limit to someone new before you pull the trigger?

As a dude, I've never had such an experience. If a reasonably attractive female avatar suddenly appeared in my private residence and propositioned me in such a way , I would probably  take the view point that one should never look a gift horse in the mouth and roll with it (metaphorically speaking).  Accordingly, I wouldn't add them to my ban list.

As an aside, how did he find your house? Perhaps he was using the radar and used the "Teleport To" function.

Wait, this happened seriously ? Oh dear and i thought i´m  a patient person when it comes to buggers.

Knowing what he "wanted", i told him to leave after the first 2 or 3 lines. First lesson to learn, respect others privacy. Well the little level of privacy you can have in SL.

Randall Ahren wrote:

As an aside, how did he find your house? Perhaps he was using the radar and used the "Teleport To" function.

He said he was visiting his lady friend (the one who gave him the freenis) which was adjacent to my neighbourhood. I was facing the wall so I'm not sure if he used the map to teleport in or the door.

@ Valerie & Monti: This actually happened yesterday a few seconds after I finished changing my clothes and about to change my hair when this person appeared. Honestly, I don't mind if someone comes by and wanted to chat... but this guy apparently thought that Second Life is Sex Life. He wasn't the first newbie who had propositioned in the past but he was definitely the first person who barged into my house and ask for sex... with a Freenis!

@ Pep: I wanted to ask him yesterday if he was Wasted... and I will become his GF if he pays me and let me convert him to my religion. Willow (... does not like Coffee nor a devout priest)

Personally, I've completed all the Second Life levels and I'm playing it all again in Hard Mode. That's the one where the Money Trees never have any cash left in them. :)

Seriously though, everybody who plays SL is different. Most people new to the game are curtious and polite, and grateful for any help. We shouldn't let a few bad apples spoil things for the majority of new residents.

But you have to be on my access list to get into my home.

Willow Danube wrote:

Honestly, I don't mind if someone comes by and wanted to chat... but this guy apparently thought that Second Life is Sex Life.

Sex Life would probably be very popular. LL could combine it with a microblogging platform called Titter and in no time they would have more users than Facebook. 

Willow, the more interesting question is how would you react if you rezzed into your home and found two trespassers being naughty on your rug? Would you:

(a) watch quietly while occassionaly murmuring helpful suggestions;

(b) ask to join in; or

© Right click, eject, ban?

@ Randall: The answer will be 'd'.

Me: [Rezzed in to my house see couples having the time of their life]... Errr, Hi??!!
Them: Go away! Can't you see we are busy?
Me: This is my house.
Them: So?
Me: Okay.... [Rezzed in a tip jar] .. when you are done can you pay 50L in the tip jar?
Them: What if we don't?
Me: Then you wouldn't mind if I cite the entire chapter of end time event from the book of Revelation, would you?
Them: Nuts!
Me: Chapter 23.. and the rain and the four horsemen rise up from the sea....
Them: *****ch!
Me: Oh by the way.. you are on Machinima video. When I'm done, I will post this at Metacafe... with both your name tags/display names on. Oh and you (points to the guy)... your freenis is slightly off centered from your pubic area. I think you need to move it slightly to the left. It doesn't looked... well placed..
Them: TP'd out.

Here's my favorite clueless newbie conversation. It was so funny, I had to save it.

Conversation with a guy who popped into my bedroom while I was dressing:

[13:16]  newbie: helloo
[13:16]  newbie: can i ask you something?
[13:16]  Persephone Emerald: ok
[13:16]  newbie: may we use your bed with my friend
[13:17]  Persephone Emerald: No.
[13:17]  newbie: if i beg you?
[13:17]  Persephone Emerald: You're very new here, right?
[13:17]  newbie: yeah
[13:18]  newbie: will you let us just for once?
[13:18]  Persephone Emerald: It's considered rude to come into someone's home and rude to use their sex furniture
[13:18]  Persephone Emerald: You can find places where you can have sex for free
[13:18]  newbie: but i cant found
[13:18]  newbie: and have not much time
[13:19]  newbie: just wanna ask you again
[13:19]  newbie: will you let us
[13:19]  newbie: if you dont change ur mind
[13:19]  newbie: i will left here
[13:19]  newbie: cmoon
[13:19]  newbie: say it :)
[13:19]  newbie: You may use the bed in the house next door, the dark one      [This was a house I wasn't renting out.]
[13:19]  newbie: theresome?
[13:19]  Persephone Emerald: And I can give you LM's for places you can go
[13:19]  Persephone Emerald: No
[13:20]  newbie: i need theresome bed
[13:20]  newbie accepted your inventory offer.
[13:20]  newbie: thanks honey
[13:20]  newbie: ill be back to thank you soon
[13:20]  newbie: This place has beds for threesome & BDSM
[13:21]  newbie: maturity problem:)
[13:21]  newbie accepted your inventory offer.
[13:21]  newbie: thanks anyway
[13:21]  newbie: ill go now
[13:21]  Persephone Emerald: Don't come into my home uninvited again
[13:21]  newbie: ok sorry
[13:21]  Persephone Emerald: This is bad behavior for sL.
[13:21]  newbie: may be u invite me next time
[13:21]  Persephone Emerald: No, I don't thiink so.

I had a thread with a different direction on this same theme in the previous Forum. I'd thought an uninvited guest was being ill-mannered and asked about it. Along with a lot of hilarious stories from people dealing with the same issue I got the idea that I'd been a bit snotty myself, so since then I've tried to be less possesive about my house (although I do have an orb that covers my bed and a place to change clothes). Even on my best day I don't think I'd be as patient as you, Willow.

I've only rezzed to find people in my bed once, in the first house I built. By the time I finished rezzing one had left but a woman was climbing out the window (literally--I hadn't bothered with glass yet) and running away. I could see she was headed toward my sexy Italian neighbor's house so I followed along. When I got to the property line he was standing there next to her and introduced her quite politely as his new sweety. I can only assume that he just tp'd out as soon as I started to rez but she, probably a relative noob, stayed to put her clothes on. It was very funny.

I had estate land once upon a time that was right next to the landing point for the rental shack.  Needless to say we had a lot of random visitors.  I kept my furniture set to group only and tried to remember to keep it turned off.  I left the toys in the garden available for anyone, tho.  It was an open minded community and we tended to let each other share.  Outside stuff was free to use.  Going inside was, of course, kind of rude.

I will take a wild guess and say that for every dork, there are 9 more that dropped by and said hello; asked if they could sit by our pond or dance at the gazebo; in general we had pleasant conversations and shared stories.  But that other 10% were annoying.  It was like that guy that always tracks mud in at your office. 

I had one guy tp into my house while I was getting dressed and started with the very rude "me bleep you now and you like it."  I froze him, put on a male avatar and ran the old "foxtrot" his head tool.  He started calling me names and crying about how I raped him and how changing into a man was just sickening and how he was going to have me banned.  Whatever.  ignore, toss and ban.  Since he never bounced on top of the parcel ban line I assume he tp'ed out when the last freeze wore off.  If you go to a BDSM sim and mess with a dominatrix on her throne, you can expect to learn what the "S" stands for and it sure ain't "softie."

But the fun with dorks gets old fast.  Eventually we moved up into the sky to avoid the drop ins.  Shame, really.  It was a nice neighborhood otherwise.  Great bunch of people lived there.

I had a guy I caught in my place beg me to share my home with him.  He told me he would share all his girl friends with me could supply me more women than a man could ever use.  When I told him I wasn't interested he questioned where my sense of Fraternity was.

When it comes to my home I'm like the grumpy old man who doesn't like strangers walking across his yard. 

freeze/eject/ban

P.S.  While I know there are ways around it I am in a sky box in a no fly / no landmark creation SIM.  He had to really have put some effort in to getting to my place.

I had that happen to me one day, two random naked avatars walked into my house when I was there, complete with flexicum all over the place, and on a PG sim too. I laughed in real life, but all the same thought it was rude and disrespectful, so I said "bye" and ejected them. On the rare occasion I go to my home, I go there for sanctuary and solitude (unless I've invited a good friend round for a chit chat). And flexicum is so difficult to get out of the carpet and walls!

@Dillon: I must say he was getting on my nerves a little bit... I was aware that he was pretty much a noob and was going to give him an advice or two about SL when he said I was 'pretty enough' to be his GF in this game. I may not be much of a looker compared to other girls in SL but dammit if I'd let a guy thinks I'm 'pretty enough'! hehehehe... I guess that was my trigger point..

@Rhonda: You know that would definitely traumatized his experience in SL but freezing the guy was a good idea... just his luck he broke into the wrong house. I must say, 'my' guy wasn't as agressive.. very forward, but not agressive... at least he knows where the exit door was... but still, the idea of freezing an unexpected intruder is still a very good idea.

Willow Danube wrote:

@Dillon: I must say he was getting on my nerves a little bit... I was aware that he was pretty much a noob and was going to give him an advice or two about SL when he said I was 'pretty enough' to be his GF in this game. I may not be much of a looker compared to other girls in SL but dammit if I'd let a guy thinks I'm 'pretty enough'! hehehehe... I guess that was my trigger point..

At that point, I would have very politely offered him an LM to a sim with lots of very pretty, um, girls. Your restraint is commendable.

(Note to self: get said LM for future)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.