Looking for a little place to live... :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello I'm Lothi, a young adult av, and I'd like to find a little place where i can rez a little skybox...If someone has a big land and he/she doesn't use all the prims inside and needs a bit of company sometimes...I'd like to rez it in the sky as well! :D
Thanks all...big kisses ♡

There are many sandboxes around where you can rez-out your skybox for a while. You may get uninvited visitors, but that could happen anywhere.

For something a little more permanent, there are also parcels with spare prims, build enabled, and no auto-return. Your skybox surely won't be any worse than the griefer prims that eventually consume all those spare prims. But you'll need to find those on your own -- nobody wants to popularize prime sites for griefing.

Otherwise, really, it's up to you to first make friends with landowners before asking favors. (Frankly, it's a tiny bit suspicious that you didn't just do that.)

There used to be a group that had three and a half mainland sims of free land for 2 weeks use between cleans there was always a mad scramble once the land got opened up after the clean to claim prims and building space in the last 5 or 6 years i've not heard of anything similar if you are lucky you might find land where the owner hasn't bothered setting up auto return if they have any sense they'd at least put auto return on to prevent people freeloading on land they pay for 

if you want long term space for a skybox there are plenty of private rental estates and mainland estate parcels to rent 

Just because someone has not set up autoreturn and has build enabled and seems to have "spare prims" doesn't give anyone license to squat on land that they were not invited to use.  The owner may be a new land owner and not realize they need to have autoreturn etc.  You also don't know if they have 'spare' prims or not.  They could want to use those prims at any time.

I am surprised that a supposedly experienced user would advocate this.  It is stealing.

Really, on Mainland, the more non-griefer prims using up capacity, the better for the neighbours. The landowner barely factors into it: having griefer-friendly parcel settings makes them a menace, and their land an attractive nuisance.

I've often consumed prim capacity of not-yet-abandoned parcels using transparent phantom prims taking this very precaution. It's almost a responsibility -- hardly theft.

Stay away from NFL/NewFound Land Estates.  They're currently imploding and just screwed us out of a month's rent because the owner left, the new people didn't get the money, blah, blah, blah.. drama.  

If you don't want your sim closed out from under you because they're gone bankrupt, rent from someone else.

That is a worry Thoth...I ponder over paying my rent a month at a time for that reason. Its a lot to lose if owners go AWOL. In the end I just do it cause its easier to manage my bills that way. Once paid, then I forget for it for another month. 

Qie Niangao wrote:

Really, on Mainland, the more non-griefer prims using up capacity, the better for the neighbours. The landowner barely factors into it: having griefer-friendly parcel settings makes them a menace, and their land an attractive nuisance.

I've often consumed prim capacity of not-yet-abandoned parcels using transparent phantom prims taking this very precaution. It's almost a responsibility -- hardly theft.

I often do that too. If I see a parcel near me that doesn't have auto-return set, or near water or a road - I will fill it up, to keep griefers from filling it.

I'll fill it with something out of the way, maybe also transparent, named for the purpose, and unscripted.

I'm personally of the belief that the everytime any mainland is sliced, joined, or transfers group or ownership - auto-return should be set. You could then unset it, but it should just toggle on as a constantly re-setting itself default.

- That should then be a flag estate owners could also set for estate land. On by default when the estate is first given to them by LLs, but not otherwise changing unless manually changed.

- this should also come with an added tool to the land editing features that lets anyone who is the owner, or has been given the power in the group's rank-privileges, to change the assigned group of ALL items on the land with a single click to the current land group of that land (and this should be included as a 'check box' checked by default, on anything changes what group the land is set to or owned by).

(In other words I don't want a system that auto-returns everybody's legit stuff on accident, but a system that removes the need or desire for most people for leaving auto-return off.)

Doing that would make griefing in SL very difficult.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'm personally of the belief that the everytime any mainland is sliced, joined, or transfers group or ownership - auto-return should be set.  

I don't think so, but there's definitely a problem. I can't count the number of times I've done some minor reshaping of parcel boundaries and managed to forget to re-enable auto-return, even after all these years of knowing full well that the operation will disable it.

If it were automatically enabled after such operations, however, I fear lots of stuff would get returned unintentionally. Maybe it would be safe to remember the previous setting and re-enable it if the land hasn't changed owners, or if it contains no objects that would be returned; that seems pretty simple logic for the sim to check.

I've tried to argue that land set for auto-return should get a hefty tier bonus -- like 50% -- because it's a real business benefit to the Lab: it both reduces operations cost and improves the marketability of Mainland. 

Oh, I missed this part:

- this should also come with an added tool to the land editing features that lets anyone who is the owner, or has been given the power in the group's rank-privileges, to change the assigned group of ALL items on the land with a single click to the current land group of that land (and this should be included as a 'check box' checked by default, on anything changes what group the land is set to or owned by).

That's a bit hairier than it sounds because it "crosses the streams" of parcel permissions and object permissions. One example of the complexity: I rez out something and share it with the current land group whose members I trust to responsibly reposition it or whatever. Then the land is sold retaining object ownership, so everything stays in place -- and the new owner exercises the proposed bulk-group-change over all objects, including the one I shared with the initial group. Now that new owner can Take the object that I, the owner, only ever shared with the previous group.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.