Would a imac i5 with intel hd graphics 6000 with a boost work well with second life

smexey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

at first, if you don't need a imac for it's special features for work , don't buy one. go get a normal PC.

For a lot less money you have a top machine with newest nvidia graphics.

Onboard graphics will always perform far below dedicated graphic cards.

My limited gt 740 card on my laptop will perform nearly double of the intel 6000 ( score 1575 against yours 814)

• Like 1

Hi Smexey.

I think you're referring to the entry level 21.5 inch iMac. The Turbo Boost won't help much, as that's a CPU feature and runs only under certain circumstances. SL is more sensitive to GPU speed. And there it's a tough call. The entry level machine you're referring to has (as Alwin states) a graphics benchmark score of 814 and is driving a full HD display (1920x1080). That's not a terribly high benchmark number, so you won't be zooming around SL on "Ultra". You'll probably find yourself running "Mid", enabling shadows and such only for photography.

The next model up has a quad core processor (which will help slightly) and 6200 graphics, which scores 1534 and will give you a noticeably better experience in SL.

The next step above that brings you a beautiful Retina display. But that's got 4x more pixels to push around and could yield SL performance no better than the entry level model.

I expect the iMac line to be refreshed before the school season starts, so there will be a potentially significant improvement in performance if you can wait a few more months.

Good luck!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.