Mesh sucks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I have finally given up on mesh. I have spent a lot of Lindens but I still spend most of my time trying to figure out why my feet are below ground, or where did my left hand go. There are just too many tweeks that are necessary and then everything has to be changed when I put on a new outfit. When the engineers can make mesh simplier and more user friendly then they may have a good idea. But so far I don't think mesh is ready for prime time.

Oh no, mesh is definitely ready, haha. It's absolutely amazing compared to the Second Life before mesh. Not all of it is complicated either. You may just be finding the not-so-user-friendly products. Just take time to learn it and it becomes the best thing SL ever did. Everything is more realistic, beautiful, and even less laggy. Example is whe people make scenery out of low poly mesh instead of a thousand prims or sculpts.

If I were ever forced to go back to wearing non-mesh clothes, I'd quit Second Life. Soooo much better as mesh. Also, rigged hair. omg, finally hair that fits but doesn't cut into your avatar's neck/ back/ etc. And it's less render cost than hundreds of sculpt prims that hair use to be made out of.

The reality is, mesh is the biggest improvement SL has ever had. It just takes time to get use to the transition.

I must admit it has taken some getting used to but I like mesh. But you need to be careful, it depends on what avatar your using, I use the classic avatar and have yet to find any fit mesh that works. So stay away from fit mesh unless you have a mesh avatar, and even then make sure the mesh is made for your avatar. Yes, its a bit more cookie cutter but it should fit (I have been told) and be easier to use.

And mesh hair, to me it looks like something out of the 50's, like you used two cans of hair spray to keep it in place, and the longer mesh hair looks like it was glued to your back, okay if you stand still but I like to dance, not good for that. I use a shorter flexi hair and it looks more realistic than anything I have seen, it moves around like real hair, really nice.

The one really big thing is, try a DEMO for everything!

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I must admit it has taken some getting used to but I like mesh. But you need to be careful, it depends on what avatar your using, I use the classic avatar and have yet to find any fit mesh that works. So stay away from fit mesh unless you have a mesh avatar, and even then make sure the mesh is made for your avatar. Yes, its a bit more cookie cutter but it should fit (I have been told) and be easier to use.

And mesh hair, to me it looks like something out of the 50's, like you used two cans of hair spray to keep it in place, and the longer mesh hair looks like it was glued to your back, okay if you stand still but I like to dance, not good for that. I use a shorter flexi hair and it looks more realistic than anything I have seen, it moves around like real hair, really nice.

The one really big thing is, try a DEMO for everything!

Fit mesh will work with the classic avi, you just have to have the sliders set to standard sizing then use the right size. Even then, you'll need the alpha to prevent parts of your avi showing through when your AO has you move into certain positions.

As for the hair. Keep looking. There are many makers that are now adding flexi parts to the mesh to give it some movement. Your RL hair follows your body and doesn't cut into it; mesh does the same. The flexi parts being added gives the movement your are looking for.

Syo Emerald wrote:

My grandmother doesn't understand the Internet or how a computer works. Does that make the internet or computers not ready for "prime time"?

Hey now!  I am a grandmother and I know how computers work.  Well, not the fine details but I know the gist of it all.  Magic Smoke.  It is all based off of Native American smoke signals using magic smoke traped within the "chips."  If you do something that lets the smoke out, the computer stops working.

/me nods

yes, I agree with you, and I think you are specifically talking about the whole mesh body and clothes experience here. I had my first experience yesterday.

I tried some demo mesh bodies - Belleza and Maitrya, you know the ones. I got the skin tones to match my Redgrave Leona head. I couldn't decide which of the two brands was better. I tried to make smaller breasts and it just made them look weird. So then I thought maybe big breasts are not so bad.

So now I want clothes, and it didn't take long to find Blueberry. I bought some demos. The jeans I got were a very tight perfect fit and I was reminded of the pre mesh skin tight stuff only with a nicer texture and leg bottom. Then I bought the jacket and top and I could see my elbows popping out and I  thought 'annoying'. Then I read the notecard saying 'please to do the alphas on your body hud'. So I went into inventory and found the hud again and did as requested and this worked a charm. Now I looked not too bad - a near perfect clone of so many others doing just this. But maybe just a t shirt. So I buy the demo and put it on - where did my body go? I put the t shirt on and now I'm invisible :(. OK how to fix this, remover all attachments and start again. and now to get rid of that alpha masking at the elbows. And here I am  - and yes it looks good but is it really worth it? 

I'll just walk around in these demos for a while and see if I get sick of it or become fonder of it.

Christina Ponnier wrote:

yes, I agree with you, and I think you are specifically talking about the whole mesh body and clothes experience here. I had my first experience yesterday.

I tried some demo mesh bodies - Belleza and Maitrya, you know the ones. I got the skin tones to match my Redgrave Leona head. I couldn't decide which of the two brands was better. I tried to make smaller breasts and it just made them look weird. So then I thought maybe big breasts are not so bad.

So now I want clothes, and it didn't take long to find Blueberry. I bought some demos. The jeans I got were a very tight perfect fit and I was reminded of the pre mesh skin tight stuff only with a nicer texture and leg bottom. Then I bought the jacket and top and I could see my elbows popping out and I  thought 'annoying'. Then I read the notecard saying 'please to do the alphas on your body hud'. So I went into inventory and found the hud again and did as requested and this worked a charm. Now I looked not too bad - a near perfect clone of so many others doing just this. But maybe just a t shirt. So I buy the demo and put it on - where did my body go? I put the t shirt on and now I'm invisible
:(
. OK how to fix this, remover all attachments and start again. and now to get rid of that alpha masking at the elbows. And here I am  - and yes it looks good but is it really worth it? 

I'll just walk around in these demos for a while and see if I get sick of it or become fonder of it.

None of this has anything to do with mesh being bad. Mesh bodies are complex products that need a bit of trying and practive to get familiar with them. But isn't that the case for Second Life as a whole? Some people can't be bothered to learn how to use the standart avatar, for example.

Your current problem is very simple: You got invisible because you detached the body. Underneath the body is an alpha layer to hide the standart body. You attached the t-shirt probably by using "wear". If it goes to the same attachment point as the body, it will replace it. Use "add" instead of "wear" when attaching new things and this shouldn't happen.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Your current problem is very simple: 

There is no current problem. I figured it all out, as I'm sure many others would. I was sharing my experience with the OP and anyone else who might find it interesting. And I did not conclude that mesh body + clothes is bad or good. I haven't decided. The main issue for me is probably more the financial investment - is it worth it for me?

Can I ask you something, OP? If you aren't going to wear mesh clothes, what are you going to wear? Are you just going to hang around in the nude? I'm sorry, but when I get dressed, I add an item of clothes and the corresponding alpha so my body doesn't show through. It's really that simple. My left hand never disappears, and I'm below the ground, it's because my hover isn't set right. If my hover isn't set correctly, that's not the mesh's fault.

I love the mesh clothes, but gave up on a mesh body.  My main concern is the whole draw weight issue.  Spending all that money on mesh items no one will be able to see.  There is no standard for listing like there seems to be with prims.  You don't know what your getting as far as draw weight until after you purchase.

You can ask, though. Seems Tonic, Maitreya and Slink have the lowest weight, The Belleza the highest. I suspect Belleza is higher because the hands and feet are part of the body then you change which you have on with a hud. Currently, they don't change shape but all are actually there, just not visible. When you chose one on the hud, that one becomes visible. Even "invisible" they are there and have rendering weight. Ask around in groups like the Mesh Body Addicts. We all wear different bods and have already gone through setup and finding which rezzes fastest.

The Lab chose a representation for Mesh that severely limits it compared to all other geometric content in SL, in a couple of ways.

First, there's no way to distribute an in-world Mesh asset that can show the recipient as its creator in subsequent derived generations. That's in contrast to distributing a sculptmap that the recipient can use to generate content using that sculpty showing themselves as "creator." 

That's (mostly) a commercial limitation, may have been (stupidly) considered an advantage, and (somewhat) addressed by distributing models outside the grid. That workaround, however, demonstrates the bigger problem: SL Mesh models cannot be applied to existing, rezzed-in-world objects. This choice of not exposing the geometric model as a first-class abstraction but rather burying it in instances is unlike other user-generated content in SL: I can turn a sculpty into any other sculpty, or a box prim, etc., but a Mesh instance is stuck with that geometry forever.

That's obviously limiting for scripts -- we used to be able to build anything (except Linden plants) anywhere on the grid just by messaging remote scripts, without having to stock the scripted object in advance with every possible model. Mesh in SL is crippled in that way, and it will be interesting to see if full functionality is restored to mesh in Sansar.

Years after I have joined SL, I'm still wearing mainly non-mesh clothes. Every time I think of spending Lindens on some cool jacket, cape or pants, they never fit right - making me appear bulky or frumpy.

In many ways it creates some nice detailed clothing, but there's still  a lot to be done using skins and prims, and hybrid with mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.