Tourist Information?

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While the  Welcome centers like NCI offer a lot of support and information, and the Destination Guide lists many interesting places and experiences, I couldn't find anyplace that offered what I was thinking about -- a place that could offer a general overview of the Mainland, and lists of out of the way places where noobs could visit without being bounced by a security orb.

I feel that there are a lot of "tourist spots" that aren't being advertised because it would not be a good business model - much easier to keep things running if avatars are not dispersed. For example, it was quite a while before I learned about the wonderful network of pods and public- transportation. Teleporting from place to place is fine, but to me it is like visiting the sights of a large city like London or Paris by only using the Metro  - you get there, but you don't have a context.

I was thinking of putting up a "Tourist Information" center on a plot next to one of the pod routes, but don't want to re-invent the wheel. Any ideas?

A tourist place would be useful. I like the idea of giving more context to destinations. Maybe having a map of each continent, showing where the recommended destinations actually are. I didn't really understand that SL had a world map with continents when I was new, as getting to places was all by teleporting.

CheriColette wrote:

That sounds useful Ruff...have you approched the land owner/get permission for your TI center?

I have two small parcels near travelled routes (land and sea) where I've decided to put little parks, but I'll put in low-key Information kiosks as well and see if anyone uses them.

Polenth Yue wrote:

A tourist place would be useful. I like the idea of giving more context to destinations. Maybe having a map of each continent, showing where the recommended destinations actually are. I didn't really understand that SL had a world map with continents when I was new, as getting to places was all by teleporting.

Yadni used to have wonderful maps on his junkyard walls (sigh) showing the development of Second Life.  I'm sorry he left Second Life; however, there is an excellent map museum at: New Kadath (36, 32, 21) and a lot of other good resources.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.