Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LidoraJaka

If you had 150,000 lindens to spend in a day, what would you buy?

Recommended Posts

I have a huge folder full of mesh clothing demos. I would start buying mesh clothing and I'm pretty sure I could spend 50k easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Talon Brown wrote:

I'd cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on actual goods, not virtual ones.

Would 200 bucks really make that much of a difference in your life? Are your finances so tight you don't have an entertainment budget? Does this code of not spending money on virtual items also go for other intangibles like TV, movies, concerts or even tips for the waitstaff?

 

I know it sounds like I am trolling (and I am a little) but I am seriously curious about why people would have a hard time justifying purchases in SL.  What makes it different than other types of entertainment that warrants such condescending disdain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Talon Brown wrote:

I'd cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on actual goods, not virtual ones.

Would 200 bucks really make that much of a difference in your life? Are your finances so tight you don't have an entertainment budget? Does this code of not spending money on virtual items also go for other intangibles like TV, movies, concerts or even tips for the waitstaff?

 

I know it sounds like I am trolling (and I am a little) but I am seriously curious about why people would have a hard time justifying purchases in SL.  What makes it different than other types of entertainment that warrants such condescending disdain?

Not sure if it's disdain, or just a different focus of priority.

A budget is exactly that: an amount one has decided to spend. For example, my budget for SL is very, very low, because I'm currently out of work. I have two premium accounts, but they almost pay for themselves (grandfathered stipend rate). When I was earning reasonable money, my budget included a little extra for a larger parcel and more purchases. How do I afford a PC, capable of running SL? Five years old and rapidly falling behind the curve, but bought when I could afford it. The broadband connection to run it? Part of my wider entertainment budget which gives me access to free streamed music & TV, not to mention the ability to search and apply for jobs.

It remains true that for some people, myself included, SL is a cheap (or even free) part of the entertainment budget and a couple of hundred dollars (or the equivalent in sterling) would be really helpful outside SL. For me, it could be thirty or so e-books, a year-and-a-half of Netflix, a dozen or more cinema tickets, four or five meals out with friends, three cool gigs or some combination of the above. That could be far more entertaining than a bunch of nice stuff in SL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ps: I've spent more than 50,000L for dinner at a resturant for about 3 or 4 people...

Where did you find a restaurant that can handle only about 3 or 4 people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that was the rule I had to live by, I'd buy a plywood box from my sister for 150,000 linden, then hit her up for money when I wanted it later.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelli May wrote:

Not sure if it's disdain, or just a different focus of priority.
.
 

Different focus I can understand.

"I''d cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on ..."

There is a lot that could be said after that.  Buy books for example.  Pay bills.  Buy a nice shirt.  There are a lot of things I would totally understand.  What I don't understand is why immaterial things need to be brought up as if they were not worth spending real money on.  But he did not even say he would buy any certain thing except to point out it would not be virtual.

 

So I have to wonder, is this anti-virtual stance just SL or does it cover everything that is not "actual goods?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ps: I've spent more than 50,000L for dinner at a resturant for about 3 or 4 people...

Where did you find a restaurant that can handle only about 3 or 4 people?

ta-da BOOM, tish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Kelli May wrote:


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Talon Brown wrote:

I'd cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on actual goods, not virtual ones.

Would 200 bucks really make that much of a difference in your life? Are your finances so tight you don't have an entertainment budget? Does this code of not spending money on virtual items also go for other intangibles like TV, movies, concerts or even tips for the waitstaff?

 

I know it sounds like I am trolling (and I am a little) but I am seriously curious about why people would have a hard time justifying purchases in SL.  What makes it different than other types of entertainment that warrants such condescending disdain?

Not sure if it's disdain, or just a different focus of priority.

A budget is exactly that: an amount one has decided to spend. For example, my budget for SL is very, very low,


I think its the cashing it out part.

50K lindens is a lot of lindens for use inside of SL. But once you cash it out, you might have enough money to cover bus faire for a single trip halfway across town...(OK, maybe a little more than that, maybe you could get home too... :) ).

SL also has some dramatically different price ranges for different things. My comments about a fraction of Zindra plot of land are only partially in jest...

And in fashion, you're maybe only get half the fatpacks for that money at most current fashion events.

But if you manage to escape the temptation of those two kinds of things - 50KL might manage to stretch decently far.

 

SL seems to be splitting more and more into two camps that see the cost of being in SL as something radically different from each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Different focus I can understand.

"I''d cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on ..."

There is a lot that could be said after that.  Buy books for example.  Pay bills.  Buy a nice shirt.  There are a lot of things I would totally understand.  What I don't understand is why immaterial things need to be brought up as if they were not worth spending real money on.  But he did not even say he would buy any certain thing except to point out it would not be virtual.

So I have to wonder, is this anti-virtual stance just SL or does it cover everything that is not "actual goods?"

I agree, to some extent. A lot of the things I listed as alternative spends were virtual (e-books, streaming subscriptions) or 'somewhat virtual' (cinema tickets). Taking a strictly anti-virtual stance would be odd in today's world. But I still think there are plenty of people for whom spending $200 (or $600, taking the updated post) would be an out-of-SL priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Kelli May wrote:


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Talon Brown wrote:

I'd cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on actual goods, not virtual ones.

Would 200 bucks really make that much of a difference in your life? Are your finances so tight you don't have an entertainment budget? Does this code of not spending money on virtual items also go for other intangibles like TV, movies, concerts or even tips for the waitstaff?

 

I know it sounds like I am trolling (and I am a little) but I am seriously curious about why people would have a hard time justifying purchases in SL.  What makes it different than other types of entertainment that warrants such condescending disdain?

Not sure if it's disdain, or just a different focus of priority.

A budget is exactly that: an amount one has decided to spend. For example, my budget for SL is very, very low,


I think its the cashing it out part.

50K lindens is a lot of lindens for use inside of SL. But once you cash it out, you might have enough money to cover bus faire for a single trip halfway across town...(OK, maybe a little more than that, maybe you could get home too...
:)
).

SL also has some dramatically different price ranges for different things. My comments about a fraction of Zindra plot of land are only partially in jest...

And in fashion, you're maybe only get half the fatpacks for that money at most current fashion events.

But if you manage to escape the temptation of those two kinds of things - 50KL might manage to stretch decently far.

 

SL seems to be splitting more and more into two camps that see the cost of being in SL as something radically different from each other.

I think you're underestimating how far $200 could (or sometimes, has to) stretch for some people. I thought my post made it clear just what else it would be useful for purely as part of my entertainment budget. I didn't even get into useful material things (a new graphics card, or some more RAM - I can't afford both but they'd both be handy) or important things (my car might need repairs soon - that could buy two front tyres, or maybe an exhaust). I'm not in danger of starving, freezing or going without fresh water any time soon, but I have to think every time I spend double-digit money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Would 200 bucks really make that much of a difference in your life? Are your finances so tight you don't have an entertainment budget? Does this code of not spending money on virtual items also go for other intangibles like TV, movies, concerts or even tips for the waitstaff?

I know it sounds like I am trolling (and I am a little) but I am seriously curious about why people would have a hard time justifying purchases in SL.  What makes it different than other types of entertainment that warrants such condescending disdain?

I've been in SL since 2006, in that time I've spent plenty of money on quite a bit of junk in SL.  At this point in my Second Life there's nothing left that I care to spend money on and I am moving all of my assets out of SL back into the real world where they're not in danger of vanishing the moment LL decides to cut their losses and shutter SL.  It was with that frame of mind that I answered the original question.

I hope that answered your question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Talon Brown wrote:


Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Would 200 bucks really make that much of a difference in your life? Are your finances so tight you don't have an entertainment budget? Does this code of not spending money on virtual items also go for other intangibles like TV, movies, concerts or even tips for the waitstaff?

I know it sounds like I am trolling (and I am a little) but I am seriously curious about why people would have a hard time justifying purchases in SL.  What makes it different than other types of entertainment that warrants such condescending disdain?

I've been in SL since 2006, in that time I've spent plenty of money on quite a bit of junk in SL.  At this point in my Second Life there's nothing left that I care to spend money on and I am moving all of my assets out of SL back into the real world where they're not in danger of vanishing the
moment LL decides to cut their losses and shutter SL.
 It was with that frame of mind that I answered the original question.

I hope that answered your question.

Ah, you are in that kool-aid drinking camp...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Kelli May wrote:

Not sure if it's disdain, or just a different focus of priority.
.
 

Different focus I can understand.

"I''d cash it out on the Exchange and spend that money on ..."

There is a lot that could be said after that.  Buy books for example.  Pay bills.  Buy a nice shirt.  There are a lot of things I would totally understand.  What I don't understand is why immaterial things need to be brought up as if they were not worth spending real money on.  But he did not even say he would buy any certain thing except to point out it would not be virtual.

 

So I have to wonder, is this anti-virtual stance just SL or does it cover everything that is not "actual goods?"

I was going to say, I dont think it's anti virtual till i read their post about LL shuttering SL on a whim..

To me $600 USD is half my monthly RL rent, a months worth of groceries, my car insurance for the year, a long weekend camping with my family, So many things I could do with it. Would i cash out the whole $600? No. i would leave 50K for SL fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds about right. 25K in world would cover a few toys/tools I have had my eye on and a roughly 500 buck cashout would give me enough of a lump sum to keep my box ticking over for another few years (with a little judicious dumpster diving and trading and gum and string).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

150,000L would be a lot for me in RL. But lets say I resist cashing it out:

I would probably buy the Solarian furry avatar +  some mods and clothes for it. I'd like to try that avatar...but the huge investment discourages me a little. But with so much money it wouldn't be too much of a risk to try it.

And the rest of it would went into the usual. Clothes and maybe a small place to rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...