Newbie, lost and perplexed

therolyte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! Hi? HELLO! I don't know how to start this.... haha

I'm just a common new person, super lost. I've been reading guides and helpful user distributed information but I can't seem to find the courage to just go up to anyone. I have gone around and seen some really interesting avies! Too shy to talk to them so I just stand super far away like a creeper.

Basically I just want a friend to talk to. If anyone can show me the ropes, I would appreciate it greatly but it's not necessary. Just having a buddy would be awesome~ Uh thanks for reading! *bow*

When I first started I found an inworld community of like minded people who sort of took me under their wing. I also have made friends in group chat and in this forum. Some I have not met inworld, some I have. 

I hear people say they meet people through IM or inworld chat but I don't have much experience with that.

Role play is very popular in SL. I have not done any but it is good for shy people because they can pretend to be someone who is not shy. Which is one way to overcome shyness in RL, too.

therolyte wrote:

I will try looking for groups and maybe try roleplaying someone who isn't shy... it'll be tough though >.<

If you do, report back here on your experience. I would not call myself shy, but I am pretty reserved -- except when I was a schoolteacher. Being reserved does not fly if you want to keep the attention of a room full of kids on the lesson. To do that I had to do everything but tap dance on my desk, all day every day. I in effect played a role, as if I was on stage. It was quite exhausting, but in an odd way I always felt I was most my real self when I was playing that role. That's why I think you should try playing the role of some other self besides your usual one. 

People come here all the time looking for friends, and announcing they are shy. What that tells people is that they will not be taking any initiative in a relationship. It gives the impression to others that they will have the burden on drawing the shy one out, filling the silences, etc. So I would just not mention it. SL is all about being whomever and whatever you choose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes having a cute or unusual avatar is a way to encourge others to start a conversation with you.  Another is to write something in your profile that says what you're interested in. Finding helpful people might also be a little easier at an Orientation, Newbie Help or Building help sim. Using the inworld Search to find groups & sims that interest you is a good idea too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.