Why is it so hard to have a group closed down in Secondlife?

Fudge Placebo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The reason I ask this is that a friend who started a group was an owner. She is a respectable builder and has done extremely well.  Over time she made one of her 'friends' an owner so that they could help with the group and he was trusted.  Over time this friend was then what we can only describe as brainwashed by another member of the group and the next thing, the two of them were owners.  Then they both started a hate campaign, which has of course been reported to LL on a number of occasions, which included bullying and abuse to the main owner of the group.  

Since then I have been made an owner of the group and I have told the main group owner to leave. They have added friends as owners and they have been involved in this hate campaign against my friend.  The outcome that the haters want is to keep this group and use it as their own, as it was a respected group at one point.

I have told her that perhaps taking legal action against the persons involved or even LL may spur them on to close the group. That is all that she is looking for, is to have the group clsoed down.  That way she will be rid of the people bullying her once and for all.

Is there anyone here that can help me? Or at least point me in the right direction of where to go with this? I am sure there is no point in contacting anyone from LL because they won't help at all.

4 answers to this question

Sounds like a mess to me!

I'm afraid the damage is done - once someone gets promoted to the Owner role they can do anything they like, as you've seen. LL would be the only authority worth going to, I'm not sure how 'legal action' would work (but that's outside the scope of my experience, too).

At this point I think striving for sanity and peace is the best direction, and perhaps using this as a learning experience. Recommend you sever all ties with the group, mute/block and avoid responding to the new owners. There sounds like little point hanging around.

• Like 3

do you mind i don't get it why you recommend the first owner to leave the group?

The only one who would be able to do anything about it is the who left now. Not you, you'r no party in this, just a "worried" friend. You might got pulled in but originaly not involved.

IF there would be any possible action, only the involved one can contact LL about it.

This is the risk you have when apponting multiple owners. lesson: never ever do that, but give them limited powers in the group, it's pretty easy to do so.

Leave the current group, make a new one, be sure to take a list of members and start over.

• Like 2

To answer your question as you worded it, and leaving out all the Drama:

It isn't hard to have a group closed down in Second Life...IF you are the one and only group Owner.  You should never ever grant the Owner role to any other person, no matter how good a friend they are or seem to be.  The only other person who should ever be an Owner is your own alt.

You and your friend's only choice at this point is to leave the group and let the usurpers have it.  Start a new group, and this time do it right.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.