Security and multiple groups

Ebeneazer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi

I would like to be able to extract the membership list from two groups (that I own) and consolidate them into a single "whitelist" for access restriction purposes. The idea is that there is a land group and a VIP group that are allowed access to the land - anyone else is prohibited.

I would be happy if any of you genius types can come up with an alternative way, other than just having a single group btw.

Thanks in advance for flexing your intellectual muscle on my behalf :)

Ebeneazer

3 answers to this question

I think having a single group is your best bet.  Establish the following group roles:  Owner (you, and nobody else ever); VIP member; and Member.  You can give the roles any name and any group tag you want.  Set the abilities of the VIP and the Member roles to give each category of membership the abilities you want them to have.

The other possibility would be to have the land owned by one of the groups, probably the VIP group.  Then set the land to only allow group access.  Then put all of the members of the other group on the land's whitelist.  One at a time.  Ugh!  And keep that access list up to date.  Double ugh!

It's much, much, much cleaner to do it all within one group!

EDIT:  Oooh.  I like Rhonda's Option 4.  That would let you send notices just to the VIP types.

Option 1: Keep the two groups you have and use a security orb to TP home anyone not on the list.

Option 2: The obvious answer you don't like.  One group with an included  VIP role

Option 3: One group with everyone (vips included)  for land access; a second VIP group for whatever you want to send out to just them

Option 4: One group for land acess; include a VIP role for special tag and then add VIPs to a subscription service to send them whatever without requiring them to use up 2 groups for your place.

Mmmm. Problem with an orb is it needs a whitelist. To give the orb eject rights, it needs to be in the land group.

So...how do I automate the consolidation of two group lists into one and then get it into an orb as the whitelist?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.