Please help me understand buying land better.

karlklondike

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What would be considered a enough prims to run a carnvial?

I don't understand the difference between parcel, and prims. What is a tier and a sim? Please explain.

If I want a winter wonderland type property will I have to make it that way myself or already by it that way? If I have to make it that way myself how do I do that?

Once I BUY land is it permanently mine if I leave second life a few months to a year will it still be mine when I get back?

Hope you can answer some of my questions. Thanks.

karlklondike wrote:

Once I BUY land is it permanently mine if I leave second life a few months to a year will it still be mine when I get back?

Hope you can answer some of my questions. Thanks.

Hello karlklondike.

I will reply only to your last part of the question: 

- When we "buy" land in SL , we actualy buy the rights to pay rent every month to SL ...

Except if you mean buy land (aka rent) from a member like me and you, so then we pay rent to a landlord and not to SL. Either way all we do is to pay rent to someone and so, if we want to stop using SL for a while, we simply stop paying our monthly or weekly tier ( rent) to someone.

As for ther creation part and the  parcel capacity of "prims"  I will say just that its so exiting! But I will let others to reply on that :)

Wish you lots of fun!

beethros Karas

the amount of prims depends on how many objects ( and their landimpact value) you want to put on the land.

the most standard size of land is 512 sqm, with a landimpact/prim limit of 117, but that's hardly enough to put a few basic things on your land. So for a carnival you would need a lot more if you want a real big set up.

512 sqm = 117 pims/li

1024 sqm= 2x 117

2048 sqm= 4x 117

and so on ...

65536 sqm = 15000 prims/li

i'll keep the homestead sims out of this little list, seeing your purpose those won't be the best choice, they have a limited prim/landimpact and visitor limit ( 65536 sqm = 3750 in that case )

It's not unthinkable you have to rent/buy  half or even a whole sim, if you rent you need to find a landlord who allows your plans, not all will like that and only offer residental, but there are also enough who would like it.

If you buy mainland from LL the only concern is the maturity level... you'r free to build nearly everything you want, without more rules.

Tier and Rent are practicly the same, it's the amount of money you have to pay LL ór your landlord, as Beethros already explained.

As long you keep paying for the land you will not loose it. If you go away for a few months and don't pay..it's gone, ánd if it's LL land and you didn't abandon it, your account will be suspended if payment stopped.

The theme of the land you buy from LL you can make as you want, there is also snowland available for purchase. But it won't change seasons automaticly, if you want change it you need a full private sim, there you can make the environment totally as you want it.

Would it be any good to buy land and then charge more rent for it to another user than you would pay tier to SL? For example I've noticed some properties have mall stores on them. Did all those store owners rent the booths from the owner so the owner makes more money to pay their rent, and possibly extra? Thanks for your help.

you will always have weekly or monthly payments, no matter you rent estate land, or buy mainland from LL.

LL will only accept automatic payments as long you own the land, ánd you have to be premium member.

On private estates you mostly can pay with Linden dollars ánd / or paypal.

Prices are slightly different, but not that spectacular as some privat landowners want to let you believe.

Of course both have their pro's and contra's .

Don't look to much at other places with stores, renters of those only go to sims where there's a lot of traffic so they can expect sales. Lot of selling goes by marketplace these days.

When they dont sell enough they will leave the rental quicker than you got them in.

Really making money from stall rentals isn't as easy as it looks.

I would say, start with renting some land and see if you can get your place a profitable one. If it doesn't work, simply stop renting and you'r free to go.

Have a talk with Beethros inworld, i'm sure he can be of help for you.

Hi,

I have a modest Coney Island type build with a Ferris wheel, some rides and fortunes and bumper cars and I think I probably need just about every one of the 1500 prims plus. So that means an 8192 or so, which has 1875 prims (I have a bit more there).

I've seen other carnivals that seem to use about that. I tried to put a little circus on a 1024 and it was a bust quickly with not much on it. Rides and such take up prims, even the mesh ones.

The tier is a "land credit" or a kind of mortgage if you will. You get 512 meters of free coverage of land -- that's not the same thing as the land itself. The 512 tier covers the 512 land. Tier implies steps or levels so think of it as a ladder, it goes up 1024 and such and then at 4096 it's already $25 US. So to have a 8192 circus you'd need $40 US which is what it costs on the "ladder".

As for leaving it -- no. If you don't keep paying that $40 US every month, plus the $9.95 for the basic premium per month, the Lindens will seize it after X amount of time, I believe 30 days. 

In that sense, you might be better renting, but island owners will return your prims for non-payment too.

So figure out how to make the build and then link it up so you can remove it after a month and come back later. But then you'll need to buy new land each time. That's not the end of the world because you could likely get it for as low as $4000 Lindens even these days.

As for where to get the circus stuff, there are a few big makers who have been in the business many years, so look them up on the MP. You could visit mine in Baileya to see the makers and how they are lined out. I combined mine with rentals to pay the cost of tier.

Yes, they would return your build.

They *might* leave it and seize the land, and then you could get the land back from them for $1/m.

But likely it would be cleared.

However keep in mind that if you wait too long -- not sure how many months -- even your inventory would be cleared then in that account if you don't pay premium.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.