Latest viewer major fault

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday the viewer auto-downloaded the latest version, 4.0.4 (313759), and today, when I logged in, it installed it.

With graphics set as I normally have them - ultra, and all the relevant graphics checkboxes checked - it no longer shows clouds in the sky or shadows. Also at least one texture is messed up. I relogged but it was still the same. I tried unchecking boxes and checking them again, etc. but to no avail. In other words, the latest viewer has serious issues and I find it astonishing that it was released.

I've had to go over to a 3rd party viewer (Singularity), which I don't like doing, as I prefer to use the LL one.

Perhaps not, but the current LL viewer doesn't work properly, and in those parts that it doesn't work, Singularity does.

I don't want to use a 3rd party viewer at all. I want to get back to the LL viewer when the display works properly again. In the meantime I do have Singularity, so I'm using it.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yesterday the viewer auto-downloaded the latest version, 4.0.4 (313759), and today, when I logged in, it installed it.

With graphics set as I normally have them - ultra, and all the relevant graphics checkboxes checked - it no longer shows clouds in the sky or shadows. Also at least one texture is messed up. I relogged but it was still the same. I tried unchecking boxes and checking them again, etc. but to no avail. In other words, the latest viewer has serious issues and I find it astonishing that it was released.

I've had to go over to a 3rd party viewer (Singularity), which I don't like doing, as I prefer to use the LL one.

Do you have an ATI 3800 series video card? There's a known problem with those cards on the very latest viewers.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11670

If you have a different video card you should file a bug report. I'm using 4.0.4 right now and everything works for me.

4.0.4 is actually a pre-release test version. If you go to "Preferences" - "Setup" you should uncheck "Willing to update to release candidates". You may also want to de-select "Install automatically" directly above it. Then you can download and re-install the current main release versions and you should be back to normal.

Thank you, Theresa. I've done what you said - unchecked those things in Preferences and installed the current standard viewer. Now I'm back in with the LL viewer, and with shadows and clouds.

My graphics card details are:-

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

In the process, I came across another flaw with the 404 viewer. When it was first installed earlier today, I logged in and very quickly the viewer closed all by itself. I didn't touch it. I was actually in another programme. So I logged in again, but I found that "The logout process had begun ...". The viewer had closed but the system hadn't logged me out. I thought nothing of it and logged in. I tried those checkboxes that I mentioned without any problem, other than I couldn't get clouds and shadows.

While doing what you said, I logged in using that viewer to get the graphics card details. I forgot about getting them from Prefs without logging in. While I was logged in, there were no clouds or shadows and I had a look at those checkboxes. But this time, every time I tried to check the Basic Shaders checkbox, the viewer closed and, just like the previous occasion that it closed, I was still logged in. I even used an alt to check that I was still logged in, and I was.

So no more guinea pig role for me :)

Use your viewer's HELP->ABOUT... to give us the information we need to help you. Otherwise, you get to try all our bad guesses and enjoy the frustration that comes with that.

Yours is not a viewer problem. It is a computer problem. If your on a laptop there are serveral issues common to laptops that can cause this. If on a desktop, other issues and different ones if it is a Mac or Windows.

The problem is solved, Nalates. My problem, that is, not LL's viewer problem.

For the information though, the graphics details that I posted are from the viewer's help box.

Further, the problem IS a viewer problem. I'm not on a laptop. I'm on a tower with Windows 10.

Thank you for the info Grumpity. I've installed the latest RC viewer that you mentioned, and all appears to be well now. The sky and shadows are back to normal, and, so far, the viewer hasn't closed by itself, and it doesn't look like it's going to.

Correction: As I was writing this post, the viewer closed down again, all by itself. Previously, it was instant, but this time it took its time and popped a small message box up. However, just like the other times, the system didn't log me out, and I only logged out when I tried to log back in again. So the problem that wa the subject of this thread is fixed, but the viewer closures, without logging me out, still exists. I'm waiting to see how often that happens.

Phil Deakins wrote:

However, just like the other times, the system didn't log me out, and I only logged out when I tried to log back in again. So the problem that wa the subject of this thread is fixed, but the viewer closures, without logging me out, still exists. I'm waiting to see how often that happens.

That's always what happens when the viewer crashes, nothing new about not getting logged out without trying to login again first. (Well, it would eventually log you out, but that's up to the sim to detect, and it can take a few minutes. There's nothing any viewer can do to change how that all works.)

The question is why this particular release of the viewer is so crashy for you. I think I've had a couple crashes with it too, but nothing as repeatable as what you're experiencing, and I seem not to be having the problem anymore, whatever it was.

I think the problem was to do with the graphics card. The bug fix list included a Radeon series as having had a bug fixed. Mine isn't in the exact series, but it's a Radeon, and was probably affected by the same bug.

So far, it hasn't shut down again - yet :)

I'm now starting to think that perhaps the one shutdown with this 'fixed' RC viewer might have just been coincidence. It was certainly different to the shutdowns that occured with the unfixed version. They were instant (I mean that the viewer window was suddenly not there - each shutdown occured in an instant), whereas the shutdown with the fixed version took time to give me the message. So it was a very different one and might have merely been coincidence that it happened at this time.

This thread has shown me something - something that I thought ought to happen. Because it's a very specific sub-forum, and not over-active, LL ought to keep an eye on it, as well as the JIRA system, especially when a new viewer is released. And it appears that that does happen, or Grumpity wouldn't have known to post in it. So I'll stay with the RC viewers and be a guinea pig again.

Phil Deakins wrote:

So I'll stay with the RC viewers and be a guinea pig again.

FWIW, I may have just been lucky, but I've been using Linden project and RC viewers for years now, and have only very rarely needed to back out until something critical is fixed. In another life, I beta test the Twitter app on Android, which stretches my patience much more often.

I've been auto-getting the RC viewers for a years too, and it's very rare that I find a fault that causes me to change to another. In fact, I believe this is the first time. The only other time I remember switching to another viewer is when they brought that ridiculous V2 out. If they'd stuck with that style, I wouldn't have used an LL viewer again but, fortunately, they saw sense.

Testing things, like the Twitter app you mentioned, doesn't appeal to me at all but, then, Twitter itself doesn't appeal to me, and neither does Facebook or any of those :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

This thread has shown me something - something that I thought
ought
to happen. Because it's a very specific sub-forum, and not over-active, LL ought to keep an eye on it, as well as the JIRA system, especially when a new viewer is released. And it appears that that does happen, or Grumpity wouldn't have known to post in it. So I'll stay with the RC viewers and be a guinea pig again.

Hmm. I just had a look at the JIRA that Theresa linked to earlier in this thread, and I see that Whirley Fizzle posted a link to this thread in it. Grumpity also posted there, that the fix was out. So maybe LL doesn't actually watch this sub-forum, although I hope they do, because they should.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

This thread has shown me something - something that I thought
ought
to happen. Because it's a very specific sub-forum, and not over-active, LL ought to keep an eye on it, as well as the JIRA system, especially when a new viewer is released. And it appears that that does happen, or Grumpity wouldn't have known to post in it. So I'll stay with the RC viewers and be a guinea pig again.

Hmm. I just had a look at the JIRA that Theresa linked to earlier in this thread, and I see that Whirley Fizzle posted a link to this thread in it. Grumpity also posted there, that the fix was out. So maybe LL doesn't actually watch this sub-forum, although I hope they do, because they should.

I think they do check it. 

This is not the first time one of them has popped into a thread, but it is kind of rare.

Usually it's on something only a Linden can answer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.