Nova Albion

Blondin Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Blondin Linden wrote:

All of my links are a little messed up these days. Most likely my fault. If anyone is having issues with it, let me know and I can fix.

Same here, I get:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.

Exception ID: 5B812469

Please click the Back button on your browser.

I wish to relay to everyone that Nova Albion, the first official Linden themed city is 7 years today. 

We held our annual Laggy parade with a set of live music right after from a current resident of Nova Albion.

The experience was awesome and wonderful as always.

Second Life is 7 years old and now so it Nova Albion!

It's excellent to see this thread here, thank you Blondin! (/me waves emphatically, "Miss you guys!")

Of course i missed the Nova Albion parade again. It would seem weird for me to actually show up at this point! But Happy Birthday, NA!!! It's a great city with lots to see and do. As far as i know, it's also safer these days (as i believe the Mole People have moved on from our waterways and subsystems).

Don't forget, just across from Mari's place is my awesome build! A room with four chairs and a tree! With IDM music streaming and um... a nice view. Hurry though! I may decide to change it someday, which could be as soon as 2015!!! :D

Also, a fond hello to all my fellow Nova Albion residents!

Edit - Also, to the city itself, i say "Don't worry, you'll always be a youngster to me!"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey!  it's really great to see the Luna to Dore Trolley up and running!  Personally I love to see it cruise through SIstiana ;)  Although I wasn't around when it was here before,  I can now understand why it was so missed! It's been a hoot seeing the trolley's progression, and there's been a few laffs as we were sent airborn, or watched a pileup. Ah well, stories to tell our sl grandchildren :).  I don't know much about sl building and stuff,  but no doubt it's been a challenge, and I'm sure there'll still be some glitches along the way, but it's pretty fun to ride now!  A BIG thank you to Michael Linden and Sylvan Mole, and the rest of the maintenance crew who worked on getting it running, and a special thanks to Marianne McCann whose technical understanding (she's got a wonderful ability to  decipher my desciptions of things being wank into useful information) and test riding, and providing feedback to Michael and the crew was no doubt instrumental in this endevour.  And a special thank you, THANK YOU to  LisaHot Juran for  perservering in letting the powers that be know just how much it means to this community to have the trolley back!  If I've missed thanking anyone, my apologies. Happy Riding everyone! 

I notice that the trolley doesn't remain roll-upright, but does maintain a level pitch -- even on the Dore hill.  I suspect it may have llSetStatus(STATUS_ROTATE_Y, FALSE) when it really means for _Y to be TRUE and _X to be false (this assuming that it's oriented with X the direction of motion -- that is, VEHICLE_REFERENCE_FRAME doesn't differ from default).  Or maybe vehicle angular friction might do that... or I suppose it could be something else altogether.

There's also some kind of timing issue at Luna Oaks, where a new Dore-bound trolley often rezzes just as another returns.  Not always, though.

Incidentally, about the Luna Oaks Galleria: Do we know if there's ever to be another lottery for shop space there?  It's not exactly urgent, but it doesn't make a very good candidate for historical preservation: the vendors are gradually rotting away.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I notice that the trolley doesn't remain
roll
-upright, but does maintain a level
pitch
 -- even on the Dore hill.  I suspect it may have llSetStatus(STATUS_ROTATE_Y, FALSE) when it really means for _Y to be TRUE and _X to be false (this assuming that it's oriented with X the direction of motion -- that is, VEHICLE_REFERENCE_FRAME doesn't differ from default).  Or maybe vehicle angular friction might do that... or I suppose it could be something else altogether.

There's also some kind of timing issue at Luna Oaks, where a new Dore-bound trolley often rezzes just as another returns.  Not always, though.

Incidentally, about the Luna Oaks Galleria: Do we know if there's ever to be another lottery for shop space there?  It's not exactly urgent, but it doesn't make a very good candidate for historical preservation: the vendors are gradually rotting away.

Ya, I ticketed those issues with timing and pitch. Seems the last big issues with it.

As to Luna Oaks (and, really, Busy Ben's too), the last six month lottery was held in autumn of 2009. The May 2010 was missed, and the Linden who was then running it was laid off a month later. So, essentially, the folks at these locations have been getting a rent free place for roughly two years now. Dang, I wish I'd won the lottery that time!

I don's necessarily consider it a good candidate for preservation, myself, though it does have a nice thing or two. Might be good to clear it and look into some other options for use. Might be nice as a curated "fashion mall" (or "vehicle lot," in the case of Busy Ben's) rather than the somewhat outmoded lottery that it was. Of course, then you run into the issue of "who curates," an additional drain on time, and the obvious howls of FIC-ness of those who do end up in there.

Yeah, just to clarify my comment about Luna Oaks not being much of a preservation candidate, I wasn't really addressing the builds so much as the content inside. I agree that the builds have a few nice touches and might nonetheless be expendable, but I only really meant that the merchant content  can't serve long-term as a snapshot of SL commerce circa 2009 because some of the scripted vendors are defunct -- and only more over time, presumably.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Yeah, just to clarify my comment about Luna Oaks not being much of a preservation candidate, I wasn't really addressing the builds so much as the content inside. I agree that the builds have a few nice touches and might nonetheless be expendable, but I only really meant that the merchant content  can't serve long-term as a snapshot of SL commerce circa 2009 because some of the scripted vendors are defunct -- and only more over time, presumably.

Right, agreed completely.

So... let me ask this question. If not "Luna Oaks as a lottery sales location," then what should it be?

I'm not especially promoting this idea, but just to put it out there: the individual market stalls could be sold off at auction.  It's 5x prim bonus, so... that would be different.  Not much ongoing tier revenue, but probably a hefty initial auction price.

Or maybe there could be an RFP for a single sim "Tri Cities Gateway" to use the region, in the mode of the Zindra Gateway RFP.  I think that's a little experimental still, and a little unclear just what the mission would be... but maybe something.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I'm not especially promoting this idea, but just to put it out there: the individual market stalls could be sold off at auction.  It's 5x prim bonus, so... that would be different.  Not much ongoing tier revenue, but probably a hefty initial auction price.

Or maybe there could be an RFP for a single sim "Tri Cities Gateway" to use the region, in the mode of the Zindra Gateway RFP.  I think that's a little experimental still, and a little unclear just what the mission would be... but maybe something.

Both a thought. I think the RFP might hold some weight. I'd also been keen to see the same notion to the folks who do events like "Fifty Linden Friday" or some of the shopping regions like The Nest. Use it to promote some of the best of the best, and all that.

I think it might be interesting to see them auctioned, but if done, then what is the reason to keep them as "market stalls?" Why not let me breed my horses/chicken/meeroos there, or set up a home, or whatever? is that the best use for such? If so, why keep it to stalls in the first place? No real answer here, just offering questions.

The 5x prim bonus allows for an extreme concentration of content, which might be a reasonable representation of a real world shopping experience.  I see it as kind of an experiment in using that prim bonus lever as incentive.  Getting that result might need additional "zoning" rules, too; I don't know.  But assuming that's the desired result, having the stall builds rezzed over the purchased parcels imposes both that usage intent and a consistent appearance.  In that way, it's a bit like the Kama City Transit Hub building in Mosh -- except that there's no prim bonus at all there, only the structure. (And it's a dismal failure.  But that Mosh build is practically a poster child for "no follow-through," with over a third of the parcels still unassigned; so much for content density.  Even the monorail cars can only be summoned at stops outside the building, making their passage through the structure only superficially ornamental.)

Incidentally, a big problem with this scheme is that at least some of the parcels are simply ineligible to function commercially, being too small to list in Search.  I'm not sure what the minimum size is now; it was 144 sq.m. for a long time.  Anyway, sub-Search-sized parcels would have to be expanded / combined, or the "mall" plan would be doomed.  (This probably limited success of the original temporary lottery plan, too, if winners could not list their stalls in Search nor even set custom parcel names and descriptions.)

There's the more basic question of whether a commercial "mall" use is best for that space, or whether LL should ever try to be any sort of mall operator.  It doesn't seem that one would run a trolley line to terminate at yet another Meeroo ranch, but otherwise I don't know that it would be altogether bad if the whole sim (except the trolley right-of-way) were simply auctioned-off.  If I were running such an auction, however, I'd make it one big no-split parcel and see how the market responds to that.

ok, i have no serious response about the 5x prim stuff and the auctions....the whole idea is before my time...and sounds pretty complicated....but....know what would be fun?  what's a street market without carnival rides and stuff! ...what about turning the area into a grand  community fair!  lol  it's the tail end of the PNE season here, so I'm missing the rides already...but seriously...i've been to some really fun sims with that kind of stuff...but they tend to disappear.....would be way cool to have a state fair in our back yard! if some folks have booths to sell stuff and the rest of the area is fun rides that'd be neat for flyby newbies and oldies alike! oh!  and can somebody please have a corn on the cob vendor!  

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.