Bay City

Blondin Linden

She rides her bike, and likes to win racing cars

She goes too fast, and no doubt pretty far

She races planes all around the world

Some people say Marianne’s done all right for a girl!

But can she skate?!? Cause…

It’s the Bay City Rumble! And it’s Wildcard Week!!!        

o.O

I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates. You've got a brand new key.

I been lookin' around awhile You got something for me!

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday September 8th, 7PMish SLT. Meet up at Bay City Fairgrounds! Free skates available :D

sea_007.jpg

Last weeks sailors arrive at ANWR

Bay Citizens! Please consider adding any appropriate locations you may have to the Second Life Destination Guide

Currently, I've gotten listings for the New Port Yacht Club, the Bay City Aquarium, the Bayjou Theater, and the Bay City Community Center in there. Galileo Moleno got his spot, 1 Argos Plaza in there, and the Lab already has Moose Beach presented (twice, in fact). 

I'd love to see more of our builds presented to Second Life's other Residents. The more the merrier! Let's see more of our clubs, hot spots, and other great places in there!

For more information and a link to the submission form, go to the Second Life Wiki. Let's show the grid what we got!

Get your kicks on Route sixty-six!    

It’s the Bay City Rumble!!!  

It’s like a fest and it’s no jest that last week Marianne skated best.

If you ever plan to motor west, travel my way, take the highway that is best. Come race with zest, no time to rest….lest…  she wins again!   We’re racing cars 8-D

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday September 15th, 7PMish SLT. Meet up at Meet up at Truro rez zone.

rumblecars_001.jpg

Decorating Contest!

The Bay City Alliance and the Bay City Post are sponsoring a decorating contest for Halloween! Three prizes are to be awarded for decorating your Bay City property: Best in Spooky, Best in Autumn, and Best in Art Deco. The winners of the contest will be announced in the November issue of the “Post” and will be the lucky recipients of the highly coveted “Moley” award!!! Get your prims in gear and send a notecard with picture and landmark to the Bay City Post, care of Ever Dreamscape. Happy Rezzing!!!

pumpkin_004.jpg

A brief mention of the theme of Bay City, based off a conversation I had the other day:

Most people, when they first hear the name "Bay City," think of San Francisco. It is a common expectation, particularly given Linden Lab's own history in SF. Yet things are more complicated than that. Nova Albion -- directly to Bay City's east -- fits this bill closer; from the name (New Albion/Nova Albion being the part of the Pacific coast explored by Sir Francis Drake, believed to be around the San Francisco area) to some of the textures used in the infrastructure of that area.

The actual name, "Bay City" has no extra meaning behind it, being simply a case where the LDPW needed a name for a coastal area. And while the West side of Bay City does have many regions with a distinct New England naming structure, this also has no particular extra meaning behind it. 

Indeed, Bay City's theme was described on the Second Life blog, in May 2008 as the following:

"the American urban experience, between 1940 and 1965, perhaps best typified by Chicago circa 1950 and marked by a distinct deco influence." [link]

With that in mind, a couple non-SL pictures, of Chicago CA. 1940-1965, for Bay Citizens to check out:

http://www.streetsandsoul.com/chicago/old21.jpg

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/cushman/full/P02212.jpg

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/cushman/full/P02219.jpg

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/4000/chicago19513jp.jpg

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/1628/p128796es.jpg

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/cushman/full/P03999.jpg

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/4715/p102628eb.jpg

IMO, the key to the Bay City theme -- as much as I personally would love to see Bay City be a mid-century wonderland -- is the word "urban" in the theme, the word "city" in the name, and the mention of Chicago. This is not a rural/pastoral location (Nautilus City, for what its worth, may be a bit closer to such an ideal), nor a "tropical hideaway," etc. Consider it a location for skyscrapers, with an edge towards art deco style and architectural flourish.

There's no sensation... 

to compare with this… We motored west, ADudeNamedAnthony drove the best! This week will put you to the test… It’s the Bay City Rumble!!!  

..suspended animation, a state of bliss. can't keep my mind from the circling skies… We’re racing planes 8-D

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, September 22nd, 7PMish SLT. Meet up at Meet up at the Hau Koda airport.

kicks_004.jpg

OOMPA!

Bay City Oktoberfest! Friday September 23rd  5-7PM SLT at the Bay City Fairgrounds. Roll out the barrel we’ve got an evening of fun!!! Come see the best biergarten Bay City has ever seen! We’ve got DJ Edward Pearse spinning Oktoberfull tunes for your dancing and dining pleasure. Bring your family, bring your friends… All are willkommen!

Oktober_001.jpg

Catch a wave it’s all the rave don’t be a slave … to boredom, your name to save you’ll be our fav if you sail to lore –dom…  

It’s the Bay City Rumble!!!  We’re racing boats!

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, September 29th, 7PMish SLT.  Meet up at New Port marina and rez zone!

flight_003.jpg

Last week Pygar readies for the race. Marianne and Anthony each won a lag...er leg :D

I’ll get you my pretty…

Wildcard Week! Vroom vroom we’re racing brooms, to the finish line who will zoom? It’s quite a boon…for you; there’s always room! It’s the Bay City Rumble!!!  

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, October 6th, 7PMish SLT.  Meet up at Channel Island Asylum.

wave

Last week's Rumble at New Port..the general had us all minding our ARRRR's ;P

I’ve been to Mars, no counting bars, look at the stars they’re not too far don’t be war…y hey it’s a race! And ya we’re driving cars!!!!

It’s the Bay City Rumble!!! 

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, October13th, 7PMish SLT.  Meet up at Truro rez zone

witch_002.jpg

just for fun ;)

Hau now brown cow

Hau do you solve a problem like Mari –ha!

Hau many roads must a man walk down

Hau do I love thee…..wait what? Walk? Nuuuu It’s the Bay City Rumble!!!!!

Hau wonderful life is…. When we’re racing airplanes!!!

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, October 20th, 7PMish SLT.  Meet up at Hau Koda airship rez zone

flight_017.jpg

Hau did she manage that?!?

Sailing, sailing over the bounding main
Where many a stormy wind shall blow
'Ere Jack comes home again. Jack? Who’s Jack?!? Anthony won last week’s race!!!

It’s the Bay City Rumble!!!  We’re racing boats!

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, October 27th, 7PMish SLT.  Meet up at New Port Marina 

Glow_014.jpg

Just in case you haven't been to the Bay City Hay Maze...its all the craze!!!!! Bay City Fairgrounds

Get a CLUE!?!

Was it Molly in the ballroom with the axe? Or maybe Pygar in the office with the chainsaw?!? Come help solve the mystery of the haunting of the Falmouth Hotel, as we scavenge for all seven of the freebies left behind by the “Lab”. It’s wildcard week and… It’s the Bay City Rumble!!! 

Come one… come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! Thursday, November 3rd, 7PMish SLT.  

Meet up at the dreaded Falmouth Hotel!

Fal_002.jpg

I think you auto...come race your car this Thursday.

Last week those that got a "clue" survived the horrors of the Falmouth Hotel to compete yet another day...so come out and play. It's the Bay City Rumble! Come one...come all...it's unofficial... Let's RUMBLE! Thursday November 10th at 7PMish SLT. Meet up at the Truro rez zone.

Where will you be when history is made?

Anthony is on a winning spree are his victories a technicality?

Amelia I can feel ya... need to fly. So don't deny, we'll be on high.

Alicia, how we miss ya...come race your plane it may easier.

Yes, its triple AAA racing and... it's the Bay City Rumble!!! We're racing aircraft!

Come one... come all...it's as always... Unofficial! Let's RUMBLE!!! Thursday, November 17th PMish SLT. Meet up at Hau Koda rez zone.

• 2 weeks later...

A BIG THANK YOU!

Thank you to all those generous contributors to, performers at, and volunteers for...  the Bay City Annual Tree Lighting and Charity Fundraiser... and to congratulate all for a job well done! Well Done!

>Thanks to all attending and especially for those who brought such giant wallets heh :D

*Hyper Mole for decorating in superb moley fashion

>Thanks to Christov Kohnke and GoSpeed Racer for entertaining the crowd.

>Seven Shikami (of 7 Seas fishing) for the silent auction system, and Zaphod Kotobide for scripting the donation bins.

>Donations for the auction were gratefully accepted:

A fresh-from-the-factory, not-yet-released Vintagier by 2 Zoetic Motors. Other items, including 8-Bit avatars by Jei Desoto, an emerald dress from Betty Doyle of Ingenue, jewelry by emCee Widget, and a custom, one time only furniture set by Robin Sojourner,  Other goods were donated by Heath Pevensey, Rory Larnia, June Trefoil, Kasabian Robonaught, Emma Krokus, Innocenti Chevalier, Lorin Tone, and Pygar Bu.

I would like to also thank two very generous donors whose gifts were not available at the event due to my absence from Second Life before and during the event. Those would be:

>DBDigital Epsilon, Managing Director of the SS Galaxy, Queen of the Sagittarian Sea at Galaxy AFT (59, 42, 21)

and

>Lilith Heart, of Dolly and Lilith's Garden Centre at  Heart 1 (124, 124, 29)

>>Also I'd like to send one giant shout-out to our event coordinator and all 'round Bay City superstar Marianne McCann. Woot!

It's very heartwarming that so many came together to raise funds for  http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

skate_007.jpg

Again,

Thank you all and Happy December!!!!!

PS I also offer my sincerest apologies for not being in attendance but my dog ate my computer. OK I don’t have a dog but I really couldn’t be there :( sorry

It was a dark and blustery December night.

Would it be sailor's demise or sailor's delight.

One cant be timid so palpable the fright.

Racing in such treacherous waters...is it wrong or is it right?

To sail to win to survive... your only plight.

boat_002.jpg

It's the Bay City Rumble!!! We're racing Boats!

Come one... come all...it's as always... Unofficial! Let's RUMBLE!!! Thursday, December 8th 7PMish SLT. Meet up at Newport Yacht Sales and Marina

ACHOO!

Yep it's that time of year. What? No not for that... for choo choo trains! We're going to rumble around Bay City's short line with our trains. Is it a race? Is there a point? Maybe not but it sounds FUN!!!

Come one... come all...it's as always... Unofficial! Let's RUMBLE!!! Thursday, December 15th 7PMish SLT. Meet up at the Bay City Station, Inner Harbor.

train_002.jpg

Winter Parade of Lights

...and skate party w DJ GoSpeed Racer at the Bay City Fairgrounds. Bring your boat decked out in its finest for a light parade around the bay..  then come skate at the fairgrounds for some great holiday fun! The light parade is to start at December 22 6:30 PM SLT followed by the party at 7-9 PM SLT. Great fun! free skates!! Come one Come all! It's officially a party!!! Happy Solstice everyone :D

light_002.png

Bay City Fairgrounds