Bay City

Blondin Linden

Hey all you RACE FANS! It’s the Bay City Rumble… and it’s entirely unofficial.

Last week saw several planes and other assorted flying machines in and around the Hau Koda airport in Bay City. While there were multiple reports of crashes…surprisingly no sims were harmed at the event.

This week’s Bay City Rumble is all about cars! (the bars come after the cars) …ok  cars, trucks, motorbikes; if ya got wheels let’s hear ‘em squeal. We’re racing route 66 from the Truro rez zone to the N. Channel Fairgrounds on Thursday (14) at 7PMish SLT...be it miniscule or monstrous bring your muscle and lets RUMBLE!

plane_005.jpg

I know some of you took some good pics...let's see them!

Come celebrate Bay City's Third Anniversary!

Bay City 3rd Anniversary.jpg

Join us in a parade on Saturday, 14th May, starting from the bandshell in Bay City - Harwich and travelling down Route 66 and Park Place to the Bay City Fairgrounds at North Channel!

Parade staging

Sunday, May 16th at 12:00 p.m. (Noon) SLT
Meet at the bandshell in Bay City - Harwich, with additional room in Bay City - Dennis, Bay City - Tisbury, and Bay City - Edgartown. The parade will begin promptly at 12:30 pm. SLT.
Don't feel quite like the march? We have several handy parade viewing areas! Here's SLURLs to two of them:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Bay%20City%20-%20Falconmoon/240/228/24/ (Moderate)

Parade end:
Parade will conclude in North Channel -- but hang around for fun and festivities at the Bay City Fairgrounds! Live music will be starting at 1:30 p.m. SLT!
Bay Citizens, Nova Albions, Shermervillians, Blumfeldians, Nautilods, and *all* residents of the Second Life Grid are welcome! 

What do you want?

Festive outfits, unique avatars, costumes, floats, Macy's parade-style balloons, marching bands, stilt walkers, dancers, kids on bikes, dancers, drill teams -- you name it! Come and represent your own special part of Second Life!

zOMG! Huge Map is Huge!

2011 Parade Route.jpg

Marianne McCann wrote:

Come celebrate Bay City's Third Anniversary!

zOMG! Huge Map is Huge!
2011 Parade Route.jpg

Yer all skipping my part of Bay City... :|

On your map there, I'm the little tan rectangle in the sim that's in the upper left, that's on the right-side end of a dead end road, and bottom right of a 'land triangle'. Bay City - Truro. Maybe 2-3 sims distance from where you're wrapping.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Yer all skipping my part of Bay City...
:|

On your map there, I'm the little tan rectangle in the sim that's in the upper left, that's on the right-side end of a dead end road, and bottom right of a 'land triangle'. Bay City - Truro. Maybe 2-3 sims distance from where you're wrapping.

Ya, the unfortunate nature of where we're starting from, I suppose. I hope you do attend, however!

I probably won't be able to make the anniversary events due to RL stuff, but it shows every sign of being a great success.  Superb planning and organization. :smileyhappy:

On an unrelated topic: I've been wondering why so many of the Bay City sims have landing points set for the common municipal land in the sim.  Landing points work fine for specific parcels, but I'm forever landing a half-sim or more from where I'm trying to go, in regions where the Linden land is unparcelled but nonetheless has a landing point set somewhere.

I'd especially like to arrange for the LDPW builds listed on the wiki to be accessible directly, without having to navigate from a distant landing point to the landmark or SLURL of the build location.  Just having the landing points removed altogether would be fine, at least for my purposes, and should be easier than setting up separate parcels with landing points for those attractions.  Is there anything I could do to help with this?  (Or does the current arrangement have some advantage I'm overlooking?)

Qie Niangao wrote:

I probably won't be able to make the anniversary events due to RL stuff, but it shows every sign of being a great success.  Superb planning and organization. :smileyhappy:

On an unrelated topic: I've been wondering why so many of the Bay City sims have landing points set for the common municipal land in the sim.  Landing points work fine for specific parcels, but I'm forever landing a half-sim or more from where I'm trying to go, in regions where the Linden land is unparcelled but nonetheless has a landing point set somewhere.

I'd especially like to arrange for the LDPW builds listed on the wiki to be accessible directly, without having to navigate from a distant landing point to the landmark or SLURL of the build location.  Just having the landing points removed altogether would be fine, at least for my purposes, and should be easier than setting up separate parcels with landing points for those attractions.  Is there anything I could do to help with this?  (Or does the current arrangement have some advantage I'm overlooking?)

The only "reason" for those landing points is "they've always been like that." I presume the initial idea was to give one a 'starting point" in each region, but they don't necessarily work well in practice.  Perhaps this is worth moving on? I'm game.

I mentioned it at the Bay City Alliance meeting yesterday, and will send out a notice to that group shortly, so I'll ask here, too:

Does anyone object to having those landing points removed from unparcelled Linden land in Bay City, on non-InfoHub sims?

I'm increasingly convinced that those landing points seriously interfere with navigating and exploring the affected sims, because they render Landmarks nearly useless and turn teleporting by Map or SLURL into a maze of twisty little passages.

One hypothetical objection that was mentioned at the meeting was the possibility that some folks bought land near one of the landing points* in hopes of catching traffic from frustrated travelers.   That seems a pretty dicey proposition in the first place (no reason to expect those landing points to remain fixed for long), and I can't imagine it really helps traffic anyway:  One very quickly learns never to TP to a Linden-owned destination in Bay City -- the penalty is far too high -- so, if anything, I'd guess that those landing points are places that (experienced) traffic avoids.

Note that I don't propose to remove landing points from specific parcels when they've been set up for individual destinations.  And I also don't propose to change anything about TP routing at InfoHubs, which (one hopes) is specifically designed for handling the arrivals traffic on those regions.  The Landing Points I want to go away are the ones shared by all the road and canal and everything else Linden-owned in the region, especially for regions that are not 100% Linden-owned.

_________

*I guess that would be a bit analogous to an old idea of setting up shop near the (128, 128) sim center, to catch those who TP into a sim without specified coordinates, although I'm not sure that ever happens anymore.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Does anyone object to having those landing points removed from unparcelled Linden land in Bay City, on non-InfoHub sims?

I have actually been wondering why there was a landing point at all ever since I moved to Bay City. A few times now I have used the map to teleport to what should be right outside my parcel, only to find myself on the other side of the region.

Qie Niangao wrote:

As I mentioned in the Bay City Alliance meeting yesterday, I assume landing points were put in as a means of providing a "spot" to start ones exploration of the regions.  Sorta a neutral place to land and explore.

That said, I don't think that works all that well, and may work against actual exploration of these regions. As such, I would certainly support removal of the landing points in the Residential regions. Those being:

• Bay City - Argos
  • Bay City - Barnstable
  • Bay City - Brewster
  • Bay City - Dennis
  • Bay City - Docklands
  • Bay City - Edgartown
  • Bay City - Falconmoon (which had its landing point removed some time ago)
  • Bay City - Handa
  • Bay City - Harwich
  • Bay City - Imaginario
  • Bay City - Maddequet
  • Bay City - Mashpee
  • Bay City - Molesworth
  • Bay City - Moloch
  • Bay City - Moosehead
  • Bay City - Morton
  • Bay City - Old Town
  • Bay City - Orleans
  • Bay City - Rollers
  • Bay City - Sandwich
  • Bay City - Sconset
  • Bay City - Tanelorn
  • Bay City - Tisbury
  • Bay City - Truro
I think we can leave the landing points in any non-residential ones, such as at the Bay City Center in Daley Bay, the Bay City Fairgrounds, and New Port.

Aha! You left Bay City - Daley Bay out too, just like the map does for me.

That's where the Bay City Center is, and I really wish they had that region taken off a forced landing point as well.

I suspect it isn't apparent to the Lindens that many of us point and click on the map to go somewhere.

Holocluck Henly wrote:

Aha! You left Bay City - Daley Bay out too, just like the map does for me.

That's where the Bay City Center is, and I really wish they had that region taken off a forced landing point as well.

I suspect it isn't apparent to the Lindens that many of us point and click on the map to go somewhere.

I would be willing to see the meeting space parcel and the main parcel of that region not have a landing point: I would greatly prefer that the center itself retain its center of the building landing point.

Brat ;P   ok now my puter likes me again :)

Anchors Aweigh!

It’s the Bay City Rumble…and as always it’s entirely unofficial! Last week saw many wheels squealing down Route 66 with Pygar Bu taking the lead. There was crashing and smashing but the sim held up and so did everyone’s spirits.

This week we’re celebrating fresh new waters in the region and will be racing boats. We gotta regatta… come one, come all; come float your boat Thursday (Tonight)  7PMish SLT starting at:

the North Channel rez zone

Last week: 

Waiting at the start…watch out for kids on scooters ;P

race cars_009.jpg

After the race I offered limo rides home, but having seen my driving, the transport of choice swiftly became hoverboards

:o

race cars_025.jpg

I am not exactly sure removing the  landing points is a good idea. I think most people generally leave their land open so as to limit the amount of ban lines. But, I a not sure they are willing to have people tp at any time right into their homes. Myself I say leave the situation as it is. I have been scanning the maps over the past few months and there is just plain no one coming. Its not a matter of where they land. There needs to be more reasons for them to come. Take a look at the maps for a while. There are more lots for sale than there is general population. That tells me more people want out than want in. Further, the active land owners average about 4 lots each. There is just plain no one home! I am not saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, I saying go break something else....

Winston Silvercloud wrote:

I am not exactly sure removing the  landing points is a good idea. I think most people generally leave their land open so as to limit the amount of ban lines. But, I a not sure they are willing to have people tp at any time right into their homes. Myself I say leave the situation as it is. I have been scanning the maps over the past few months and there is just plain no one coming. Its not a matter of where they land. There needs to be more reasons for them to come. Take a look at the maps for a while. There are more lots for sale than there is general population. That tells me more people want out than want in. Further, the active land owners average about 4 lots each. There is just plain no one home! I am not saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, I saying go break something else....

This would not change any Residents parcel settings, only the common land (roads and mole builds), so that one could, say, teleport directly to the bowling alley, or farpoint park, or Rollers Park, etc., without having to land at the Gazebo, Cafe Deco, or the Bayjou (respectively) and make your way over,

I am not sure we understand each other. Removing the forced landing points would allow anyone to land anywhere, correct? So if a number of people really don't want people to directly tp into their homes, I suppose you could count me as one,  we start the ban line issue. Seems to me we leave it alone. We're already starting to see enough lines as it is. There must be something else that can be improved. BTW, I have no stake in the matter. The current landing points are ineffectual to me as I have no commerce in BC or anywhere else. I just don't want my lots to become landing points.

Winston Silvercloud wrote:

Removing the forced landing points would allow anyone to land anywhere, correct? 

No, incorrect. Well, partially correct, partially incorrect.

The landing points being requested removed are the ones on the Linden owned parcels.  For example, if you attempt to teleport to http://slurl.com/secondlife/Bay%20City%20-%20Handa/51/233/24/ , you will automatically be redirected to the landing point on the Linden land in that region, somewhere around http://slurl.com/secondlife/Bay%20City%20-%20Handa/128/205/24/ . What Qie is suggesting is that the landing point on the Linden-owned land be listed, so that a teleport to http://slurl.com/secondlife/Bay%20City%20-%20Handa/51/233/24/ resolves correctly.

It would not allow "anyone to land anywhere" *except* on the Linden Land. If you or any other landowner set a landing point on their own land... then people will land on the set landing point as per normal. It does not affect a Residents parcels at all.  Ergo, if you don't want someone to directly TP into someone's home, you will still be able to set a landing point as per normal. Your own parcels will not change.

I suspect the confusion here is between Landing Points, which are set on a per parcel basis on Mainland, and Telehub routing, which is used only on private Estate sims.

A private estate manager can actually prevent direct teleporting into any individual parcel in the sim, forcing all TPs to a single hub location.  That's not the situation in Bay City (nor, as far as I know, anywhere else on the mainland).  In contrast, we can TP directly to individual parcels in Bay City today -- our own, other residents', and Governor Linden's.

As Marie correctly notes, my concern is with the per-parcel landing points set up for Governor Linden parcels that make up infrastructure such as roads and canals.  These wind around and through each Bay City sim; everyone's individual parcel borders them. 

The problem is that the entire road and canal network and any parks or other infrastructure in the sim share a single landing point.  If one wants to TP to the sidewalk in front of a business, for example, it's impossible.  One is very likely to instead end up at the opposite corner of the sim and have to navigate through the sim, following the red beacon, to the intended destination.  (Try it yourself: open the map, zoom in, and try to TP to the sidewalk next to your parcel.  See where you end up.)

Ironically, I'm forming the habit of avoiding map teleports to obvious Linden infrastructure, and instead targetting private parcels near my destination, to avoid being trapped by the Governor's wacky landing points.  So, if anything, the landing points are causing more such intrusions, at least by me.

I kept wondering why when teen grid first went to mainland I could never TP to any lots that were up for sale or auction.

I noticed the forced landing points - but it seemed so absurd that linden land would have those that I just mentally assumed it was a glitch.

So put me in the camp of people who think that needs to go away.

For people who don't want strangers TPing around their own lots - put in a TP landing on your own lot somewhere. Right now you can already TP in to any private lot on Bay City - the problem only exists with the public land. If you don't want ban lines route to 1000m up inside of a 10m box with no holes out. Even for those crafty enough to get out without TPing away - it sends the message pretty clearly.

For those of you who were not at yesterday's Bay City Alliance meeting, ya missed a big one...

495570.jpg

Topics discussed included the upcoming anniversary (the live acts have been announced as Christov Kohnke, JoeUSA Shelbyville, and Yaro Pinion), the forced landing point issue (removal approved, but set as a lower priority change), and several new Mole works in progress in Bay City, including the new water passages (north and south), some work in Owens Beach, and the amusement park underway in Weston/Oak Bluffs/Oak Bay.

Please consider joining the Bay City Alliance if you are a Bay City Resident, and join us at the meetings if you can.

It’s official; we’re CRAZY about the Bay City Rumble… and its’ WILDCARD WEEK!

Last week it was anchors aweigh as sailors seasoned and not so much …stormed the high SL seas starting at the Southern Channel from the Gulf of Lauren sailing on to the ANWR channel; all racing for bragging rights booty. Qie Niangao took the lead and both survivors and winners docked at ANWR and inspected the infamous prim drilling rig. Later Pygar Bu sailed us all safely home on his crusty ..er…trusty old Tugboat.

This week’s gonna be INSANE with rumble MANIA as we race wheelchairs from the Channel Island Asylum at South Channel to the Asylum at Falmouth and back again…maybe a few times even…  as Rumble MADNESS takes its toll!

Sanity is overrated so put on your CRAZY and come join the fun this Thursday, April 28 at 7PMish SLT. Come NUTS. Come all. We’re wonky to Rumble!

Wheelchairs provided upon request.

South Channel Asylum

Inspecting prim mining operations at ANWR

fish1_004.jpg