Bay City

Blondin Linden

Welp, we each need to frequently evaluate the cost/benefit analysis of "owning" virtual "land".  For some, it's priceless.  And that's just fine.  Let them have their expensive eccentricities.  For others, it's as alien a concept as blowing real money on NFT's.

Personally, I recently (well, two months ago) re-evaluated all the money I've blown on Linden's "land", something I never once touched with my own hands in the fifteen years I paid for it, and realized I could've instead bought a heck of a lot of groceries in the real world with that money, or several months of a really for real roof over my head.  So I quit.

I don't miss the virtual world one bit.  All I miss is all that money I wasted on it.  So yeah, for me, I DID act silly with my money vis-â-vis virtual "land" these past fifteen years.  Did I have fun?  Sure.  But was it worth it?  N.O.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kevin Jerrold said:

Wow, they haven't shooted into sky high prices yet. . . I bet by tomorrow morning they'll get bid up an order of magnitude though :/

43 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Wow, they haven't shooted into sky high prices yet. . . I bet by tomorrow morning they'll get bid up an order of magnitude though :/

It's unpredictable. I've seen some Bay City auctions go for amazingly low (for Bay City) prices, although that's rare for sure. It's all down to how many land flippers are interested in the parcel, and I don't know if Brewster will draw much attention. Those parcels are all on the west side (G rated), so will probably pull lower bids than parcels in the M regions, so there's another factor. 

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's unpredictable. I've seen some Bay City auctions go for amazingly low (for Bay City) prices, although that's rare for sure. It's all down to how many land flippers are interested in the parcel, and I don't know if Brewster will draw much attention. Those parcels are all on the west side (G rated), so will probably pull lower bids than parcels in the M regions, so there's another factor. 

Well that didn't take long. The all 3 parcels were around L$8K, each, at 9:40pm EST. Less than 10 minutes later and all 3 are north of L$22K each. And the auction still has a bit over 40 hours left.  😲

Edited by BrainFart

11 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

That's a lot of double prim parcels auctioned all at once.  Someone could get lucky on one of them. General rated region. I say they eventually go for L$50/m2(boxed in/barely protected)- L$92/m2(waterside)..

If you want to own a parcel there to keep it for your own use, I saw one of the auction parcels for sale this morning for less than that amount.

If you are hoping to buy in order to sell it for a profit, well.... there is a lot of yellow on the map there already. Parcels often take a long time to sell there, so it's not an ideal place for land flipping unless you have plenty of time to wait it out. It's not a "quick profit" type of place, generally speaking. 

• Like 3

Again, for people with money its a  very affordable hobby. It gives them joy and maybe they profit a little. ...Now, I got a kick out of a live stream on youtube today, the Draxtor channel. He and another SL resident were celebrating their rez days by walking in-world, from one home to the other's home.. Might have been 15 regions or so. Just goofing off, observing mainland. Nothing expensive needed. Made me appreciate second life. 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Once again, it's time for the annual Hot Bay City Nights. This weekend, with main events being scheduled Sunday. All invited and welcome. 

The pageant is also open to all avatars, be it women, men, or not even human. Wear what you like, but vintage clothing(1940-1965) is preferred, including for the swimwear contest. And we all know beauty isn't just about looks, so there are pageant style questions for entrants as well. Should you win, how you choose to use your role in the best city by the Bay is up to you.

image.thumb.png.adc5823ac91300f2f42b51b1973f3363.png

Bay City Fairgrounds: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/North Channel/104/134/29

Edited by Ineffable Mote
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

These events like that are about the only time you see anyone ...ever..in Bay City. It's a ghost town.

I guess you haven't attended any of the weekly Bay City Alliance meetings? All are welcome.

EDIT: Also, the weekly vehicle Rumbles happen each Thursday night. Again, all are welcome!

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 4

On 9/9/2022 at 3:07 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I guess you haven't attended any of the weekly Bay City Alliance meetings? All are welcome.

EDIT: Also, the weekly vehicle Rumbles happen each Thursday night. Again, all are welcome!

I recently bought land in Bay City (finally giving in to a long smoldering obsession with all the early SL sims) and want to get involved in community life! But I noticed the BC Alliance group was closed enrollment. I also looked for signs of a rumble but guess I did it too late in the day both times. 

• Like 1