Bay City

Blondin Linden

Bay City, Second Life's® city by the bay, is once again preparing for their annual "Prim Drop" on the evening of the 31st of December, with festivities commencing at 11:30 pm SLT within the Bay city Fairgrounds in North Channel.

The party will include a two-hour set of DJed tunes presented by Marianne McCann, as well as fireworks and other festive fun. Food, drink, and other party favors will be provided for all attendees.

The event is presented as an outdoor, high-class, wintertime soirée, and black tie attire and/or full dress is requested. All Second Life® Residents are welcome to attend and ring in the New Year with the Bay City community.

This will also be the last event within Bay City this year for donating to Child's Play Charity (www.childsplaycharity.org).  Child's Play is a 501c3 non profit organization offers online communities such as ours an opportunity to help seriously ill children around the globe during their hospital stays with the purchase of games and gaming equipment.

Bay City is a mainland community, developed by Linden Lab® and home to the Bay City Alliance. The Bay City Alliance was founded in 2008 to promote the Bay City regions of Second Life and provide a venue for Bay City Residents and other interested parties to socialize and network. It is now the largest group for Residents of Bay City.

For more information,  please contact Marianne McCann.

Prim Drop 2021 Poster.png

Edited by Dakota Schwade
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Bay City will once again come together to salute the hardy Moles of the Linden Department of Public Works in with celebration held in the Bay City Fairgrounds.

Initially honored in 2010 by Residents of Bay City, Mole Day is set aside to show appreciation for The Moles and their many contributions to Bay City and the rest of the Second Life® Grid.

Normally held on the same day as Groundhog Day, this year’s annual Mole Day will take place a few days later, on the 7th of February, commencing at 11:00 a.m. SLT. The event will feature DJ GoSpeed Racer of KONA stream followed by Quartz performing live at 12:00 p.m. SLT.

The event will be held in the Bay City Fairgrounds in North Channel. As in past years, the invitation is open to all Second Life® members to join in the fun.

"Moles" are members of The Linden Department of Public Works (LDPW). The LDPW is a program focused on improvements related to the experience of living on, or visiting the Linden Mainland. The LDPW organizes teams of Resident builders, artists, and scripters (the Moles!) to create new content on Linden Lab's behalf and to the benefit of all. These Residents have the last name “Mole.”

Moles essentially build all of the grid’s infrastructure: the public roads and railways, items in our coastal waterways and protected lands, and even larger scale projects like the Bellisseria regions, premium content and experiences, and much more. Bay City was their first such project.

Bay City is a mainland community, developed by Linden Lab® and home to the Bay City Alliance. The Bay City Alliance was founded in 2008 to promote the Bay City regions of Second Life and provide a venue for Bay City Residents and other interested parties to socialize and network. It is now the largest group for Residents of Bay City.

For more information, or to participate in the event, please contact Marianne McCann.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/North Channel/128/128/24/

Mole Day 2021.png

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Bay City Reaches Its Teen Years -- Mainland community turns thirteen this May

It was thirteen years ago that the first project of the Linden Department of Public Works was opened on Second Life®. To celebrate, Bay City's Residents are once again hosting their annual parade down the city's Route 66, followed by a live music event in the Bay City Fairgrounds.

Bay City opened in May of 2008 to initial viewing, with auctions for land in the city beginning soon after. It has developed into the largest community-focused virtual urban area in Second Life.

Participants in the annual parade are asked to gather at noon SLT/PDT on Sunday, the 16th of May, to lineup at the band shell in Bay City - Harwich. The parade will wend its way down Route 66 beginning at 12:30 p.m. SLT/PDT, and will conclude at the Bay City Fairgrounds in the North Channel region.

A live concert will kick off at 1:30 p.m. SLT/PDT at the Fairgrounds with DJ GoSpeed Rasere of KONA Stream providing music leading into the event until 1:30 p.m.SLT/PDT , followed by Mimi Carpenter from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. SLT/PDT, Parker Static from 2:30-3:30 p.m. SLT/PDT, and Noma Falta from 3:30-4:30 p.m. SLT/PDT.

All Residents of the Second Life grid are welcomed to participate. Celebration goods, including parade float bases and ideas, are available at the Bay City Community Center, in the Daley Bay region for those who wish to be a part of the parade. Ample viewing areas are provided. The music event is also open to all who desire to attend -- not only Residents of Bay City

Bay City is a mainland community, developed by Linden Lab™ and home to the Bay City Alliance. The Bay City Alliance was founded in 2008 to promote the Bay City regions of Second Life® and provide a venue for Bay City Residents and other interested parties to socialize and network. It is now the largest Bay city group, and home to most Residents of Bay City.

For more information, contact: Marianne McCann

Bay City 13th Anniversary Celebration.png

• Like 4

A couple of pieces of advice for folks coming.  First, any vehicle in the parade has to be wearbable.  Scripted vehicles will not survive the all devouring lag monster.  Second, try to keep your complexity as low as possible.  Everyone will turn down their complexity thing because of all the avis and you don't want to be just another jelly bean.  Third, try to stay out of the path of the conga line unless you are in it.  It is embarrassing to be run over.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Picnics! 
Car Washes!
Games!
Sharks!
Races!
Duck Ponds!
Music!
DJ's GoSpeed and Friar Don!
Good & Fun Times!

Plus a return of the Miss Bay City Pageant! Why yes, you can be Miss Bay City for a whole year(or more!)

First weekend of September, with main events being scheduled Sunday afternoon. All invited and welcome. 

The pageant is also open to all avatars, be it women, men, or not even human. Wear what you like, but vintage clothing(1940-1965) is preferred, including for the swimwear contest. And we all know beauty isn't just about looks, so there are pageant style questions for entrants as well. Should you win, how you choose to use your role in the best city by the Bay is up to you.

2111437861_HBCN02forumthreadb.thumb.png.70c0d0658f9a7dfef38760ce28bbae8e.png

@ the Bay City Fairgrounds: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/North Channel/132/144/28

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any land that gets abandoned in Bay City goes to auction, so that's where you'll need to watch for the (rare) Bay City abandoned parcel. 

EDIT: There actually is a parcel on the auction page right now. https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/232576/bay-city-sconset-152-182-general-960m

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Any land that gets abandoned in Bay City goes to auction, so that's where you'll need to watch for the (rare) Bay City abandoned parcel. 

EDIT: There actually is a parcel on the auction page right now. https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/232576/bay-city-sconset-152-182-general-960m

Yeah I saw that parcel listing in Bay City. Up for 42.000L and it's only a 512sqm. It's silly 200 USD. who pays this sort of money.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kevin Jerrold said:

Yeah I saw that parcel listing in Bay City. Up for 42.000L and it's only a 512sqm. It's silly 200 USD. who pays this sort of money.

Obviously, plenty of people (none of whom I consider to be silly) are willing to pay that sort of money. Bay City is probably not the place for you if you have that outlook. That's a bargain price for a double prim Bay City parcel. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Obviously, plenty of people (none of whom I consider to be silly) are willing to pay that sort of money. Bay City is probably not the place for you if you have that outlook. That's a bargain price for a double prim Bay City parcel. 

Maybe silly is the wrong word to use. No need to use a bullying attitude towards me for a mis worded post. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevin Jerrold said:

Maybe silly is the wrong word to use. No need to use a bullying attitude towards me for a mis worded post. 

The right word was silly. It's ridiculous and idiotic to pay that much for basically a postage stamp. There is a sucker born every day though. Glad it's not me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I bought a 1024 double prim parcel on Horizons near the beginning of the pandemic.  I wasn't inworld as much so weekly rent seemed silly.  I paid 63000L/$262  A steal for Horizon property.  I did the math.  It's saved me money since I'd have paid significantly more renting a 2048 parcel on a private region which I had done for 10 years.  Even if I had purchased a 2048 parcel on mainland, the extra land would have cost an additional $13 a month.  2 years@$13 = $312.  Rent for 2 years on a 2048 private region or mainland = +/- 52000L.   The bonus is never having to pay for a home again and 2x the prims of a Belli home.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's up to 96K (pushing $400 US) ... this is dumb

@Patch Linden .. can we have some more regions for bay city and horizons please? People just want to own land near their friends. Copy pasta is just fine.

Is dumb really the right word. Perhaps it prudent? 

This all strikes me as odd, yet amusing at the same time. I mean, I can't afford to own multiple private regions, but I don't feel the need to go into threads that discuss them to tell the folks who can afford them how stupid they are for spending their money however they please. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Is dumb really the right word. Perhaps it prudent? 

That all depends on what one pays for rent.  Over time, it pays for itself in never paying rent again.  Or how much mainland you own and the added tier fee.  I plan to stay where I am for as long as.I remain in SL so for me at least, even if I'd paid 96K, I'd still be saving money.

• Like 4

I have owned land in Bay City, Nautilus, Horizons, and a few other double prim lands around the grid. For me, double prim land is ALWAYS worth the price I have paid. Now, I do shop it and don't just grab the first land I find. I look for "good" prices in the area I'd like to purchase a parcel. Once I find a relative low price for the desired land I buy it. I've never lost money buying double prim land. I have always set it for sale for the same "low" price I purchased it for and have sold the land within a few hours or perhaps a couple of days. So, in the long run I have saved money because my tier to LL has always been less than I would have paid for the same number of prims on regular land.

So prudent? Yes, perhaps. Smart? absolutely for me. Silly??? Never. Silly is paying more tier on prims than is required.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1