Bay City

Blondin Linden

I have traveled to Bay City various times and absolutely love the general layout, scenery and vibe. My dream is to one day have my own store and perhaps even a little apartment home in the Bay City area but at the moment I simply cannot afford the high "Buy Land" fees. But who knows, maybe some day? :manhappy:

Truth be told, I would rather live my Second Life™ in Bay City than on a private estate owned by someone else. Bay City is a true example of how the entire mainland grid should be managed and maintained.

• Like 1

I agree absolutely, David; I just got what appeared to be the cheapest parcel in the whole of Bay City and it still amounted to the equivalent of $90 USD. Even for commercial use, I had to consider that for a bit before taking the plunge; if it were merely for 'fun' or a house or nonprofit hangout it would have been out of the question. That much dosh can go a long way towards entertainment expense :P

That said, from reading this thread alone, what the Bay City Alliance do adds a huge amount of value to the area, and it's a good template to start with. The moles have done a brilliant job (I love the statue of the tophat mole x3). I think being here will be much more rewarding in every way than if I'd gone for a cheaper roadside parcel on the 'main' mainland.

But yeah some of the prices are completely silly. u.u It's sad. There needs to be a medium between *zomgcheap* with thoughtless builds everywhere and *zomgexpensive* with empty parcels everywhere.

davidventer wrote:

I have traveled to Bay City various times and absolutely love the general layout, scenery and vibe. My dream is to one day have my own store and perhaps even a little apartment home in the Bay City area but at the moment I simply cannot afford the high "Buy Land" fees. But who knows, maybe some day? :manhappy:

Truth be told, I would rather live my Second Life™ in Bay City than on a private estate owned by someone else. Bay City is a true example of how the entire mainland grid should be managed and maintained.

As someone who's been in Bay City since the first auctions, I can feel that brand of pain. It may even be a bit scary to realize that land prices in Bay City -- as high as they are now -- have come down over the last three years. Six digits were the norm during the hotly-speculated days of 2008!

Bay City remains a rarity on the Mainland. The cost of entry is high, no question, but you can sometimes get a deal. Best bet is to keep an eye on the map, and also consider asking land owners for their best price.

I also like to point out the benefits of Bay City, which many have already hit on. It's double prim land, so a 1024k parcel = a 2048m parcel in most other places. It is themed ("the American urban experience, between 1940 and 1965, perhaps best typified by Chicago circa 1950 and marked by a distinct deco influence."), it has a strong community base within the Alliance, and a fair number of community events. It has Mole features that both beautify the area and add features -- including things that appeal to boaters, train fans, and aviation buffs.

For me, my favorite part is the community. The folks in the Bay City Alliance are a bunch of great folks, and are the kinda people that  keep me a part of Bay City.

BTW, for those who might be interested, Bay City has a great community center in the Daley Bay region, full of information about the area. 

There are tons of lots for sale in Bay City but of course the prices are pretty high.  I think there are not a lot of ppl log in and go to Bay City based on my observation, looking at green dots on the world map.

I guess the high land price is stopping new residents from moving in there, thus the relative emptiness.

Cincia Singh wrote:

Besides Bay City land being crazy expensive, there's only so much you can do with a 1024 sq m parcel, even if it has double prim allocation. 

I only half agree. Ya, it's tight, but a good builder can make some seriously great stuff on a 1024m, even without double prims. One does have to be careful, but definitely doable.

As part of Bay City's Third Anniversary, enjoy a music extravaganza in the Bay City Fairgrounds on the 14th of May!

Third Concert Poster.jpg

Performing will be Bay City's own DJ MARX (MARX DUDEK) from 12:30-1:30 p.m. SLT, followed by JOEUSA SHELBYVILLE from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Nova Albion's CHRISTOV KOHNKE from 2:30-3:30 p.m. SLT, and finally long-time Bay City friend YARO PINION from 3:30-4:30 p.m. SLT.

MARX "DJ MARX" DUDEK (12:30-1:30 P.M. SLT)

Sometimes-human-sometimes-bunneh is a DJ and owner of The Listening Room in Bay City Westside, an informal music-listening venue for all ages.  Marx's clothing-and-gadget shop, Kerfuffle, is opening in Bay City soon as well."

JOEUSA SHELBYVILLE (1:30-2:30 P.M. SLT)

"I made a living as lead singer in show group, lounge groups, and playing six nights a week for 38 years. For 16 years of  the 38 years I did a single act playing guitar, singing as I played bass and organ pedals with my feet. I do own a Fender Stratocaster guitar, Fender precession bass , an Electric Piano & Acoustic Yamaha guitar -- and I do play them all."

CHRISTOV KOHNKE (2:30-3:30 p.m. SLT)

"Hi, I love to sing and play the guitar. I play pop music of all styles from all ages. I play in real life and find playing in SL a lot of fun. I love to play lead guitar too so don't be surprised if you hear me soloing over myself using a looping device that I use to record myself in the moment and then play over that. I pride myself in all of my playing be live and in the moment versus pre-recorded in any way."

YARO PINION (2:30-3:30 p.m. SLT)

"Yaro Pinion has played the guitar since the age of 7 (for more than 40 years), but he has concentrated on the 12-string guitar since 1976. His live RL/SL guitar and vocal performances include Classic/Southern/Soft Rock and Country Ballads delivered with his very own unique beautiful, melodic picking style. Yaro performs live from his office/studio located near Atlanta, Georgia in the USA."

Event held at the Bay City Fairgrounds in North Channel, easily accessible by boat, car, walking , or teleport, and the end location of this year's parade. Come on down!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/North%20Channel/104/134/29

It’s the Bay City Rumble!

Last week was insane as several residents raced to escape the Channel Asylum, only to end up at yet another asylum and back again! Nuts! Pygar Bu laughingly led the loony lot for the win. The win to the looney bin haha-hoho-hehe.

And we’re still crazy – crazy for cars that is… cars, trucks, motorbikes, if you’ve got wheels come make ‘em squeal! Let’s burn some rebel rubber as we race down Route 66. Yes we’re rebel rubber rumble rousers ( say that 4 times fast) and  as always ….it's Unofficial!!! (that would be the rebel part). Muscle your way in, for a racy chance to win! Meet at the Tratu rez zone, 7PMish SLT. Come one, come all! Let’s RUMBLE!!!

wheels_006.jpg

So, a resident last night unwittingly revived an old idea of BlueGin's.  The idea of a "welcome packet" for Bay City. I like the idea, as it gives us a chance to welcome people into the alliance as well as help provide materials and information to new landowners (and presumably strengthen the look of Bay City and our own community)/

With that in mind, I would like to open a discussion on such a thing. To wit...

1. What should such a "packet" include? What materials and/or information would be relevant and/or useful?

2. How best can we deliver this material to new (and, for that matter, existing) land owners?

Thoughts?

It’s the Bay City Rumble!

…and it’s easy breezy (not at all cheesy) … this Thursday, May 12 at 7PMish SLT.

Last week saw racers burning rebel rubber down Rout 66. In spite of crashes and smashes we all had a bash. This week we’re now ready to splash. We’ll bring out the party barge and live it up large. Chill on the barge if you please on the North Channel seas. Or bring on the smiles running speed trials ‘round the isles. Meetup at the N. Channel rez zone.

Come one. Come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!!

Rumble_012.jpg

Rumble_008.jpg

Party Barge :)

fish2_002a.jpg

2011 No right whatsoever to be this weird.

The term Bay City Rumble is not a registered trademark of the Bay City Association group. 

The racing information contained herein is provided for entertainment purposes only plus directions on where to attend this event and is not exactly intended to replace discussions with a licensed entertainment provider but could. All decisions regarding avatar fun-having should be made with your friends cause you should totally bring them with you, and considering the unique characteristics of the participant. 

The product information provided in this notice is intended for residents of ya know… SL. The products discussed herein may have different product labeling in different gaming communities but we pretty much doubt it cause Second Life is awesome and so is Bay City and you should totally come race and have fun with us dontcha know. 

Disclaimer: No moles were harmed in the activities of last week’s race, even with “Mad” Molly Montale in the lead. Please be warned all racers participate at their own pixel peril. These statements have NOT been approved by the LDPW. :P

Hello, everyone,

I am pleased and honoured to be a part of the Bay City Community. I joined Bay City Community because there is something supremely satisfying about it and also because I found this is the right place to share our views about various matters.

I have been poking around here for a while, but I never have formally introduced myself so I thought, I would do it on this special day. It's Bay City's Third Anniversary. Taking place at Bay City regions in Second Life. The joy and celebration is seen in every corner of the streets and homes here, thus you shouldn't hesitate a second to join Bay City Community.

I am dedicated to my work and I like bouncing ideas off other people, thus If you would like to meet me In-World, feel free to visit my lands at Bay City. If you like spending time "outdoors", you will surely enjoy landscaping there.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Eliza.

I like the idea of a welcome basket, or maybe just a box prim.. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Hmm, what to put into it that would be universally useful... definitely a notecard of welcome, with some of the general information about what Bay City's theme is, including links to relevant wikis and such, in order to give some idea of how best to "fit" their build in. Maybe a copy of the LDPW textures and stuff too.

It's hard to come up with anything more specific, as we have several different types of businesses, entertainment venues and residents.

As for distribution of this welcome kit, perhaps some sort of team effort for that - if you see someone new to the area, introduce yourself and offer the kit! (Once it's in existence...)

Thursday, May 19 7PMish SLT Hau Koda to Abbotts.

We’re full of it!

Hot air that is…and you guessed it…it’s the Bay City Rumble!!!

Last week we partied hard on the barge while others at large charged the watery sims recently forged (oo that really was bad)

This week we take to the skies not due to rumors or lies certainly nothing of spies yet we will get a rise as our aircraft all fly.

Come one. Come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!!

Snapshot_003.jpg

Hau Koda Airport

I noticed in the landmark that came for today's Bay City meeting (during US working business hours so people with jobs in North America can't go BTW); that's its on 'M' land.

Now that a large amount of Bay City is G land, and much of that up until recently owned by teens, who might still be major owners of portions of it... should not the meeting place be moved to G land somewhere so all residents without gainful employment in the western hemisphere at least have the ability to come? ;)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I noticed in the landmark that came for today's Bay City meeting (during US working business hours so people with jobs in North America can't go BTW); that's its on 'M' land.

Now that a large amount of Bay City is G land, and much of that up until recently owned by teens, who might still be major owners of portions of it... should not the meeting place be moved to G land somewhere so all residents without gainful employment in the western hemisphere at least have the ability to come?
;)

It's a good point, and I've been eying a few possible spots on the "G" side. or perhaps we could talk to the powers that be about changing Daley Bay (which is all Linden owned) to be "G," though I don't know how popular such a move would be. Still - food for thought.

I certainly wouldn't see a problem with making Daley Bay and other all-Linden-owned sims in Bay City be G-rated.  I don't see the downside of it -- but then I suppose I wouldn't, because all my BC land is G-rated.

Technically, LL can limit conduct on their own parcels, regardless of the rating.  That's why all infohubs, even the ones on Adult-rated sims, have G-like rules.  (Obviously, enforcement grants some slack for Adult infohubs, when logins are forced there because the Adult sim where they were before is offline.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

I certainly wouldn't see a problem with making Daley Bay and other all-Linden-owned sims in Bay City be G-rated.  I don't see the downside of it -- but then I suppose I wouldn't, because all my BC land is G-rated.

Technically, LL can limit conduct on their own parcels, regardless of the rating.  That's why all infohubs, even the ones on Adult-rated sims, have G-like rules.  (Obviously, enforcement grants some slack for Adult infohubs, when logins are forced there because the Adult sim where they were before is offline.)

On the down side, some of those neighboring Daley Bay might not be happy having a G-rated region next-door to them, and may feel somehow cheated by the change. While I don't think our eetings specifically of any of the Daley Bay content in general would be affected by such a change, many do not like what they feel is the "Disneyfication" of Second Life, and I think it is worth considering their feelings on this. 

(Aside: I always find it funny that a kid RPer, who tends to be G-rated everywhere, is the one who also ends up defending mature parcels. Go fig.)

Still not sure I understand the possible objection.  AFAIK, all content on Linden parcels is G-rated, regardless of the parcel rating, so as far as content is concerned, it won't be any more Disney than before.

If folks are engaging in Mature-rated conduct on those Linden sims, that would be explicitly forbidden if the land switched to a G rating... but as I mentioned, I suspect that conduct was already forbidden by rules applying to Linden land regardless of the sim rating.

I suppose an objection could be raised that residents who enable only G-rated content would be able to use the sims who couldn't if the sims remained M-rated.  Some few of those G-only residents would be teens, so that might be an objection, I guess.

Seems to me, however, that it would be a bit of a stretch to insist that the Lab retain artificial maturity ratings on their sims, this long after they've merged in the Teen estate.

[ETA:  On the subject of "go fig", it's odd that this Zindra Adult-content advocate is trying to make the case for re-grading M sims to a G-rating.]

Qie Niangao wrote:

If folks are engaging in Mature-rated
conduct
on those Linden sims, that would be explicitly forbidden if the land switched to a G rating... but as I mentioned, I suspect that conduct was already forbidden by rules applying to Linden land regardless of the sim rating.

Such rules only exist where signs are posted. Like in most but -not all- infohubs.

Possibly.  Although I think you'll find that the infohub signage has become more complete in recent months.

I'm really not sure about the rules in force on non-infohub Linden land in Mature- (or even Adult-) rated sims.  My sense is that engaging in conduct other than G-rated can still get one in trouble.  I wouldn't expect a ban for crossing a Mature Linden road in the nude, but if the neighbors complained about, say, a bot doing a perpetual pole-dance in an SLRR station, I think they'd have no trouble finding grounds to make it go away.

In any case, it seems doubtful that neighbors of Linden sims in Bay City are going to rally in defense of pole-dancing privileges there.  Whatever their Disneyfication concerns, I'll bet they'd be a lot more concerned if folks actually behaved as if the M- vs G-rated distinction meant something there.

There's no rule about land that is M suddenly being under G rules anywhere in the ToS that I've found, so I'm not sure why you have that opinion. :)

I regularly hang out at an infohub that had it's sign removed a year ro so ago. Since that time people have assumed that, as marked, it is an M lot.

Ahoy Matey’s

It’s the Bay City Rumble …and it’s “Fleet Week”!!!

Last week we took to the skies in an ambitious run from Hau Koda to Abbots airport and back. Qie Niangao won bragging rights as pilot in chief, then graciously treated all to malts at Hau Koda airport. Yum!

This week the fleet is in and we celebrate salty sailors’ return from the slurly Sansara seas. We’ll sail Bay City shores for Fleet Week Fun! Come one. Come all… it’s as always… Unofficial! Let’s RUMBLE!!! May 26 7PMish SLT meet up at New Port rez zone.

Today I heard that Blondin Linden is no longer with Linden Lab.

I'm part of the sailing community in Second Life, and just wanted to comment that over the past many months Blondin was very helpful; he attended to many sailing issues on a host of levels.

We will all miss him, and I know together we wish him fair winds and a safe harbor in any future endeavor.