Does SL promote good Health and Wellness?

Alyha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Absolutely, is a well known fact that sitting in front of a computer all day smoking & drinking coffee, while forgetting to eat & sleeping at all sorts of random hours is the recipe for a full and healthy life.....Remember to make your avvie dance LOTS so that you get your excercise though. :D

depends on a few factors, like what types of "health and wellness" are you referring to? and whether you accept motivation as promotion of it.

if the latter is true, then SL certain could promote improvement of all types of "heath and wellness". whether it does or not, and of what variety, are individual questions and the answers may be largely subject to perspective.

for instance I use it as a relaxation, which helps destress me (good for both mental and physical health), as well as to widen my social interactions (promoting my emotional health).

done to excess it might hamper other aspects, for instance, most people aren't physically exerting themselves while on SL, so overuse could impact physical health negatively. if a person withdraws from RL social activities it might impact emotional health, and if a person takes it too personally it could definetely affect their stress levels and impact both mental and physical helath...

now if you are just talking about the common perception, then it's all down hill.... fundamental attribution error compounded with expectation bias and a society that still has an imprint of computer users as physically neglectful, socially inept, and and ultimately unsuccessful people (e.g. middleaged overweight and living off others good will) leads to the impression that ANY computer use of more than a few minutes is horribly detrimental to every aspect of a persons wellbeing....  I'm sure I don't need to point out how ridiculous that is, but the idea persists.

Secondlife in itself, no and far from it. But it's content might, for example, I am developing a MMA (mixed martial arts) system that will hope to emulate MMA and the fitness behind it, and the possibilities of extending it to such things like the mobile market, where people can enhance their game statistics and levels from a real life work out using their iPhone.

Unoionu Hilltop wrote:

That is like asking: Does RL promote Health and Wellness.  No RL does not, but PEOPLE in RL do.

If you want Health and Wellness promoted in SL, YOU can be the one to promote it here, although there may be some type of Health and Wellness businesses in SL.

I think that's what she is trying to do with this post.  *wink*

6191.gif

Be sure to visit the VIrtual Ability, Inc owned sim, Health Info Island.  It's connected to our New Resident Orientation sim, and has a "Path of Support" with information on most of the support and health related groups and places, in Second Life.  New information added as necessary, but it's already huge.  If Health and Wellness is your interest, be sure to check it out.   Contact Eme Capalini for your support group or health information to be added.

Treasure

(Hi Forumites, long time no see!)  :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.