Who wants FLICKR?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a suggestion to LL just now...but I wonder what you guys think?

Have you heard that Yahoo and Flickr may be up for sale and that Flickr is the unwanted 'sideline' in the option?

Read article here

As a lot of SL people post photos/share activities and get business back from sales generated by what we see in SL pictures

I put it to LL that it might be a business they should acquire.....both from a financial point of view and for the benefit of us citizens. 

I suggested they could ask for an annual fee to help support the service...remembering, that non secondlifers use Flickr too.

Around 112 million people or more in flicker, to probably 1 million in a month in SL? maybe less actually online,

the business in flicker if it was a Linden business wouldn't be from SL people but from all the Pro accounts and what not other than people from SL, although there are thousands in flicker from secondlife, cannot compare to whole total of users that flicker has already

Maybe, but it still wouldn't attract me. Isn't Flickr all about posting pictures? I never take pictures, so it would be useless to me.

Other things, like Facebook and Twitter, are of no interest to me either. I'm just not a media-socialite, and I never will be. I don't even do texting - my mobile phone is purely for emercency use and nothing else :)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more lemmings to save. (I did them all when they came out and I recently acquired them again).

Yes Flickr is mostly about posting photos, Phil ...and I love taking photos. I go in competitions and things from sl and/or just add photos I take for any reason, with comments/locations etc. Its easy to send them there from sl camera (and you can edit them too). For some reason I always have trouble uploading to my sl feed. 

One correction to your original post, Cheri.The article doesn't suggest that Yahoo! itself may be up for sale. It suggests the opposite in fact.

I've often wondered what the Yahoo! top brass have thought through the years after Google became so successful. The Google founders, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, offered the engine to Yahoo! (Yahoo! didn't have their own search engine), but they turned it down, suggesting that the guys set it up themselves, which they did, of course. I sometimes wonder if they regret that decision, especially if they could have had Brin and Page with it. Without them, Yahoo! wouldn't have made it the success that it became, of course. It was only after Google became so successful that Yahoo! bought some search engines, particularly Inktomi, which I believe is still the one they use, in an attempt to emulate Google's success by using the methods that Google uses. Microsoft was another that attempted to emulate Google's success, but they created their own engine - they didn't have one either. They both used other companys' engines for their search results. I sometimes wonder if the decision is regretted at Yahoo!.

Barely use my flikr account so whoever runs it is no skin off my nose - if whoever takes it over wants to charge then meh. Plently of others out there, even some SL specific (no names no packdrill etc). Or even DA which has the benifit of being its unique self.

Really would not bother me but oddly enough on doing a search that led to yahoo answers I got a big splash exhorting me to add a yahoo search toolbar to FF. Got the usual unprintable response but funny that should show up today.

Always funny to me when Yahoo gets in the big fnancial news, something they of ciourse do quite often these days. When I worked in Santa Clara I commuted from home by train. I took the bus from the train station to where I worked in the mornings, but most afternoons I walked from work back to the train station. My route took me through a bunch of Silicon Valley's heavy hitters: Intel, HP, Applied Materials (who you've never heard of but were by a huge margin at the top of the heap in the business my company was in).

One of my best 'short-cuts' was the big angle I could take through a certain business complex whose parking lots were arranged so I could walk almost an unbroken diagonal heading for the train staition, essentially angling acroos two square blocks. Not sure of the name. Orchard Parkway, or something like that. Entrance was on Kifer, a few blocks west of Lawrence Expressway. It went almost all the way back to the Central Expressway at the other side.

Anyway, Yahoo's first (I think) really professional location, once they moved out of the garage, was in an office in a corner of that complex. Cars parked in front usually had the "Do you Yahoo?' license plate frames. Couple of times I walked past, they were all out on the lawns in front with canopies set up, eating appatizers and drinking beer and wine because they'd just landed an account or opened another office or something.

My, how they've grown. :-)

ETA: It's called Central Technolohgy Park, and it does in fact extend all the way from Kifer to the Central Expressway. Affymetrix now occupies the space Yahoo once inhabited, but it looks like they have the whole building; Yahoo was just usiing the southernmost rectangle. That happened when I was still there; I'd forgotten that. Yahoo by the time I left was in a their own purpose-built just for them humungous multi-story complex over by Lockheed, at the edge of Moffett Fielld.

If Linden Labs have money to burn, which they are unlikely to stretched between Second Life and a potentially huge investment that is Project Sansar, the worst way to burn them would be buying Flickr, an old school startup with barely any profit that has nothing to contribute to the betterment of their two main projects. If Flickr goes down under, the users will simply move to another photo sharing website, be it Imgur, 500px, etc.

If Linden Labs want to spend their money wisely, they should be buying VR tech and 3D software tech, things that directly contribute to their existing and future projects

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.