Jump to content
LuxCross

Tattoos on Maitreya and/or Omega, how do I make them?

Recommended Posts

I've been looking into making tattoo's and clothing layers for Maitreya or Omega, mainly for the omega body as I want to make own tattoo's or atleast give a try at it. I've been browsing for tutorials all across google but without luck, some are outdated or some are for specific mesh bodies. 

 

I've found a Maitreya Dev kit from the store however. And I happen to have Adobe Photoshop CS6. But I have no clue where to start, how to start and how to get it into SL. Is there anyone who could explain to me how? Or knows a link to a tutorial? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made tattoo appliers for both maitreya and omega, iirc both had instruction notecards in their dev kits, maybe look through your folders for it.

For Omega (there´s no omega body though like there is a maitreya body btw, omega makes a kind of relay that makes it possible to use a tattoo on the mesh bodies that are prepared by their creators to work with omega scripts, best to read through the websites of omega, maitreya and whatever else you consider to get some overview) go right to the source, they have a 'Learning Center' on their website which should have all you need to know: http://lovenlustdesigns.blogspot.com/p/lets-learn.html 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an old thread, but it sums up what I am looking for. I'm wanting to add tattoos to my Lara body.

I grabbed the Maitreya Dev. kit and frankly, it doesn't help at all (where to start, what to do to get started...). Is there a tutorial available?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 3:13 AM, Jerilynn Lemon said:

It's an old thread, but it sums up what I am looking for. I'm wanting to add tattoos to my Lara body.

I grabbed the Maitreya Dev. kit and frankly, it doesn't help at all (where to start, what to do to get started...). Is there a tutorial available?

In the "Maitreya Mesh Body - Dev Kit Tattoo/Clothes" there is a notecard named "Instructions - Maitreya Mesh Body_Layers Kit" giving instructions how to use it.
Did you read that notecard?

I copy part of the instructions from the notecard here:
1. Make sure to set the script "Maitreya Applier Script - V2 0.10" to NO TRANSFER, If you plan on selling your appliers!
2. Drag the script "Maitreya Applier Script - V2 0.10" in to your prim.
3. Fill in your texture UUID in the notecard "Maitreya Texture Loader - Body Overlay V2", then drag the notecard in to the prim as well.

In a few seconds the script will read the UUID and will delete the notecard from the prim (because it is not needed there any more).

That's all. Now the prim applier is ready to use. You can make a HUD from it (if you know how to).
Take the prim to your inventory. Wear it. Click it. It will apply the tattoo onto your mesh body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did read it. I found it to be a tad confusing. Up front, I am not script savvy. I feel some steps are being omitted.

Let's say I wish to place a duck tat on my Lara body. I can't use a standard body template to size/place the duck. I have no problems with the older system. My problem lies with placement/rendering the image to a prim so it falls to the correct area. I'm sure the same can be said for Omega appliers as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I did read it. I found it to be a tad confusing. Up front, I am not script savvy. I feel some steps are being omitted.

Let's say I wish to place a duck tat on my Lara body. I can't use a standard body template to size/place the duck. I have no problems with the older system. My problem lies with placement/rendering the image to a prim so it falls to the correct area. I'm sure the same can be said for Omega appliers as well.

Ohh when you can do standard body tats you are almost there, all you need to do is: get the omega applier kit (it's free) shove the UIDs of your textures on a notecard into the kits (there are instructional videos on how to do this right) conveniently rename the kit, pick it up and wear it as a HUD. Tada *drumroll* - applier is done no idea how that works with native maitreya appliers but I guess pretty similar (without so many instructional videos)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I did read it. I found it to be a tad confusing. Up front, I am not script savvy. I feel some steps are being omitted.

Let's say I wish to place a duck tat on my Lara body. I can't use a standard body template to size/place the duck. I have no problems with the older system. My problem lies with placement/rendering the image to a prim so it falls to the correct area. I'm sure the same can be said for Omega appliers as well.

Maitreya body is compatible with the standard body template. So you can use it. Just place the tattoo where you want using that template. It will work great.
Making appliers with Maitreya kit and with Omega kit are very similar processes.
You don't need to know anything about scripts because there is script in the kit what you will use. You don't need alter it in any way.
Just drop the script into the prim contents. Same with the notecard where you paste your tattoo texture's UUID.

PS. If you want the tattoo image showing on the prim face too, you can place it there anywhere.
It does not affect in any way where the tattoo is located on the mesh body.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 3:07 AM, Coby Foden said:

Maitreya body is compatible with the standard body template. So you can use it. Just place the tattoo where you want using that template. It will work great.
Making appliers with Maitreya kit and with Omega kit are very similar processes.
You don't need to know anything about scripts because there is script in the kit what you will use. You don't need alter it in any way.
Just drop the script into the prim contents. Same with the notecard where you paste your tattoo texture's UUID.

PS. If you want the tattoo image showing on the prim face too, you can place it there anywhere.
It does not affect in any way where the tattoo is located on the mesh body.

I thank you all for the assist. I may have been reading too far into the process.

Time to experiment and play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi~ I'm new to sl and also looking at making my own tattoos. May I ask where one can find the standard body templates? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JuneTimber said:

Hi~ I'm new to sl and also looking at making my own tattoos. May I ask where one can find the standard body templates? Thank you!

They are all linked here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials

I recommend you to go to the Robin Wood template link though, his templates for SLUV are far superiour to the regular ones ;)

Welcome to SL and the forums.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 8:47 PM, Coby Foden said:

In the "Maitreya Mesh Body - Dev Kit Tattoo/Clothes" there is a notecard named "Instructions - Maitreya Mesh Body_Layers Kit" giving instructions how to use it.
Did you read that notecard?

I copy part of the instructions from the notecard here:
1. Make sure to set the script "Maitreya Applier Script - V2 0.10" to NO TRANSFER, If you plan on selling your appliers!
2. Drag the script "Maitreya Applier Script - V2 0.10" in to your prim.
3. Fill in your texture UUID in the notecard "Maitreya Texture Loader - Body Overlay V2", then drag the notecard in to the prim as well.

In a few seconds the script will read the UUID and will delete the notecard from the prim (because it is not needed there any more).

That's all. Now the prim applier is ready to use. You can make a HUD from it (if you know how to).
Take the prim to your inventory. Wear it. Click it. It will apply the tattoo onto your mesh body.

For most of bodies when you grab the Dev Kit always come with instructions easy to follow like this one above, most are very similar to make the applier. Easy to do in few steps:
1. Design your image using the template like #Fionalein said
2. Upload your Image to SL
3. Follow the instructions that you will find in Dev Kits

The SL WIKI is plent of details and you also can find tutorial on youtube (some step-by-step). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question please,  I have no problem with Maitreya tattoos upper body using her kit.  The Dev psd's located here https://www.dropbox.com/s/kndt98qq6dpculu/Mesh Body Creator Kit - Skins.zip?dl=0. as per Maitreya's website, does not include a PSD for the legs or lower body.  So I downloaded the standard lower body from wiki and created a leg tattoo and it ended up on the neck?  

How do you do lower body tattoos?

Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, NealCrz said:

Question please,  I have no problem with Maitreya tattoos upper body using her kit.  The Dev psd's located here https://www.dropbox.com/s/kndt98qq6dpculu/Mesh Body Creator Kit - Skins.zip?dl=0. as per Maitreya's website, does not include a PSD for the legs or lower body.  So I downloaded the standard lower body from wiki and created a leg tattoo and it ended up on the neck?  

How do you do lower body tattoos?

Thank you!

I too would like to know how to do this as I am trying to make a full body tattoo including an applier for feet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Durian1 said:

I too would like to know how to do this as I am trying to make a full body tattoo including an applier for feet

Most feet and heads are SLUV as well. So usually the same as above applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand something basic.  Then instructions for the Applier are to "drag the script into the prim."  What Prim?  I'm not clear on what that means.  To me a prim is one of the basic building blocks in SL.  You create it on your land.  What prim is this referring to?
Thanks

Mitzie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitzie, what they mean is that you create a basic prim, or even a complicated prim set with buttons.  The design is entirely up to you.  Once you have created your prim set, you drag the script and the notecard into it.  Once that is done, you can use the prim set you created as your applier either as a HUD attachment or as something razzed on the ground.  With button prime and the correct setup, you could set it ways of switching to different textures.  I haven't done this yet, just researching it now for a project I'm working on.  Hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, Coby Foden said:

Did you read that notecard?

I copy part of the instructions from the notecard here:
1. Make sure to set the script "Maitreya Applier Script - V2 0.10" to NO TRANSFER, If you plan on selling your appliers!
2. Drag the script "Maitreya Applier Script - V2 0.10" in to your prim.
3. Fill in your texture UUID in the notecard "Maitreya Texture Loader - Body Overlay V2", then drag the notecard in to the prim as well.

The point seeming to be missed as I understand it is that the dev kit instructions don't give guidance on how to make (or where to get) a template for the actual texture itself. The technical instructions themselves are absolutely fine but it is assumed that users know how to make the texture asset.

It would be useful if they provided a template (or templates) with regions of the body marked so that people can then take this into Photoshop, remove the guides and add their own pixels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, livb89 said:

The point seeming to be missed as I understand it is that the dev kit instructions don't give guidance on how to make (or where to get) a template for the actual texture itself. The technical instructions themselves are absolutely fine but it is assumed that users know how to make the texture asset.

It would be useful if they provided a template (or templates) with regions of the body marked so that people can then take this into Photoshop, remove the guides and add their own pixels.

 

On 6/4/2018 at 10:14 AM, Fionalein said:

They are all linked here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials

I recommend you to go to the Robin Wood template link though, his templates for SLUV are far superiour to the regular ones ;)

Welcome to SL and the forums.

answered above...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2019 at 10:27 PM, Mitzie Mohr said:

don't understand something basic.  Then instructions for the Applier are to "drag the script into the prim."  What Prim?  I'm not clear on what that means.  To me a prim is one of the basic building blocks in SL.  You create it on your land.  What prim is this referring to?

You need to make that prim. So yes - as in one of the basic building blocks - made with the build tool. Typically you would probably resize this into a flat rectangle and then attach it to your HUD. Then maybe add graphics to it so it looks nice. But basically when you click it the script will be triggered and apply the textures originally defined in the notecard.
 

Edited by livb89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

answered above...

Yes thanks, I saw that too. I was just responding to the specific point about 'read the notecard' ... which itself (the notecard) assumes this knowledge on the part of the person using the kit

I assume they (makers of Maitreya) are coming at it with the assumption of people knowing how to make textures from the world before mesh bodies came along. But some of us are quite new to SL, never used a system avatar (other than for a few days as a noob), and never made any clothing the "old way".

It is not actually that obvious (with no prior knowledge) that these avatar UV textures would work at all with mesh bodies. I had assumed for example that a different template would be needed for each of the tattoo, underwear and clothing layers because they are slightly different sizes. But I am going to give the template in that Robin Wood link a try now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

start by making an applier from the robin templates itself and see wether they really line up - if they don't you know where you have to tweak your tattoos etc.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...