Sign in to follow this  
AlessandraAndria Zapatero

Phoenix Viewer, Shadows & Alpha

So I have been using the Phoenix Viewer for about a week now and last night I was playing around with the advanced graphics. I turned on shadows and OMG I love the way everything looks. I have yet to test out photography with it activated, but I am definitely interested in seeing the difference...anyway...I did notice one thing that I do not like. Alpha textures dissapear and flicker with shadows on. Anyone else play around with this feature? Is there some way to tweak  the settings so that my alphas aren't flickering and dissapearing?

Thanks!

It's one, among many, bugs in the deferred rendering code on v1 that will never be fixed. If you don't want to use a v2 based viewer that's your choice, and I can understand it. But it's the only option to fix this issue.

I understand your frustration.  But there is MUCH under the hood of the V2 code that is not only great, but necessary for the future of SL -- mesh, dynamic lighting and shadows for example.  And like V2 UI or not (and it leaves much to be desired IMHO) we are ALL going to be required to use the V2 codebase sometime in the near future.  The entire 1.23 interface will one day be deprecated and you won't be able to get on without a V2 viewer of some flavor.  So it is best to just take a slack week and start getting used to the V2 interface when you don't have to stress about things.  That, or get used to doing the things you did before SL. 

I normally detest highhanded actions by the lab.  But it has been a year now and very necessary updates to the world are being held up by the rejection of V2's rather clumsy interface.  I don't see why a TPV cannot be made that has V2 code but a 1.23 interface.  The fact that nobody is doing so leads me to believe that there isn't any real way to do so.  Either way, it's time to **** or get off the pot.  We can either abandon the improvements to SL and abandon V2, or we can all just get used to the interface and enjoy SL even more with the new toys it has to offer.  And there are many many toys we'll enjoy, as soon as we stop complaining about how clumsy the steps are leading up to the toy store.

If I were in charge, I would announce that the TPV folks have 3 months to update to V2.5, as everything earlier will be unable to enter the grid when that time is up.  I've said repeatedly that when Pheonix offers a viewer with the 1.23 interface and the 2.5 core, I'll run it and never look back.  I'm still waiting.

Shockwave Yareach wrote:

I understand your frustration.  But there is MUCH under the hood of the V2 code that is not only great, but necessary for the future of SL -- mesh, dynamic lighting and shadows for example.  And like V2 UI or not (and it leaves much to be desired IMHO) we are ALL going to be required to use the V2 codebase sometime in the near future.  The entire 1.23 interface will one day be deprecated and you won't be able to get on without a V2 viewer of some flavor.  So it is best to just take a slack week and start getting used to the V2 interface when you don't have to stress about things.  That, or get used to doing the things you did before SL. 

I normally detest highhanded actions by the lab.  But it has been a year now and very necessary updates to the world are being held up by the rejection of V2's rather clumsy interface.  I don't see why a TPV cannot be made that has V2 code but a 1.23 interface.  The fact that nobody is doing so leads me to believe that there isn't any real way to do so.  Either way, it's time to **** or get off the pot.  We can either abandon the improvements to SL and abandon V2, or we can all just get used to the interface and enjoy SL even more with the new toys it has to offer.  And there are many many toys we'll enjoy, as soon as we stop complaining about how clumsy the steps are leading up to the toy store.

If I were in charge, I would announce that the TPV folks have 3 months to update to V2.5, as everything earlier will be unable to enter the grid when that time is up.  I've said repeatedly that when Pheonix offers a viewer with the 1.23 interface and the 2.5 core, I'll run it and never look back.  I'm still waiting.

This^ and Leliel's reply WAS valid. I hate official LL V2 viewer releases with a passion too, because they are always half arsed, buggy and unstable. I too use Phoenix as my preffered viewer, however, I do like V2 and what it has to offer and it is why I randomly use Kirsten's, Dolphin 2 and Firestorm TPV releases are more stable. I am not a fanboi but rather someone who likes progress and likes moving forward and I wish LL had blocked access to SL with 1.2 type viewers because it is only holding us back from what can be a much better SL for everyone. As Leliel pointed V2 in TPV form has the ability to to handle shadows and alpha much better.

I agree take a week where you don't have much going on and keep with it and you won't be sorry. Or even download V2 and the Starlight skin for it. Or try my fav viewer 2 variant Catznip Viewer as it has the starlight skin pre installed (on first boot change the skin to "Starlight" then restart SL).

Even try Firestorm orhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&host=www.google.com&sa=X&ei=_G2KTenIOceB0QHGvsj_DQ&ved=0CBMQBSgA&q=kristen%27s+sl+viewer&spell=1' target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> Kristen's Viewer.

AlessandraAndria Zapatero wrote:

Is there some way to tweak  the settings so that my alphas aren't flickering and dissapearing?

Thanks!

It's a variant of the OpenGL alpha sorting bug that appears when using shadows in ANY viewer, and can appear as flickering, ringing, or bright bordering around 32 bit alpha textures when they overlap another one. Using shadows (aka deferred rendering or HDR) minimizes the frequency of these things, but the tradeoff is the safe distance between the two overlapping 32bit alpha textures is greatly increased, so now you can get these bugs between alphas that are very far apart (like a tree against the sky). It's said that turning off anti-aliasing while using shadows will help.

AlessandraAndria Zapatero wrote:

See

I HATE V2 with a passion.

Anyone else have a valid reply please? One that actually sheds light onto the situation?

First reply from Leliel is completely "valid".

Hating new technologies while sticking to obsolete ones comes with a price, and you're paying for it.

(hint: Phoenix Firestorm)